Re: hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black in ~/.vimrc ignored

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
      On 3/1/07, Alexander Farber <alexander.farber@...> wrote:
      > Hello Yakov,
      >
      > On 3/1/07, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:
      > > Defining 'hi...' in vimrc is not good because 'color ...' commands, and
      > > possibly by 'syntax on' commands.
      >
      > sorry, I don't understand what you mean above.
      >
      > > The better method to customize colors is to
      > > copy the colorscheme under your own name and customize the
      > > colorscheme. Alternatively, you could use the autoevents, but these are
      > > more tricky.
      >
      > Ok, I get you that it isn't the best method,
      > but you still haven't answered why the line
      > "hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black"
      > in my ~/.vimrc is ignored.

      It's not ignored. It's overwritten later.

      > When I enter ":hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black"
      > manually or ":so ~/.vimrc" then it does work.

      It's not ignored. It's overwritten later.
      1. Try 'syn off' 'syntax on' after that. Does it affect you colors ?
      2. Do you have 'color ...' c(colorscheme setting) in your vimrc ?

      Yakov
    • Alexander Farber
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hello,

        > On 3/1/07, Alexander Farber <alexander.farber@...> wrote:
        > > When I enter ":hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black"
        > > manually or ":so ~/.vimrc" then it does work.
        >
        > It's not ignored. It's overwritten later.
        > 1. Try 'syn off' 'syntax on' after that. Does it affect you colors ?

        it does affect my colors: "syn off" turns everything black/white
        and "syn on" brings the colors back (but wrong colors -
        my Comments are still not inverted)

        > 2. Do you have 'color ...' c(colorscheme setting) in your vimrc ?

        No, here is my complete ~/.vimrc:

        set hlsearch
        set wildignore+=*.o,*.obj,*.class,*.jar,*.zip,*.rar
        set showcmd
        set hlsearch
        set ignorecase smartcase
        set tags=tags
        set nocompatible
        set backspace=2
        set viminfo='20,\"50
        set history=50
        set ruler
        set go=mr
        set sw=8
        "set guifont=-b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-normal-*-15-140-75-75-m-90-iso8859-9
        set guifont=Courier_New:h12:b

        syntax on
        hi Cursor guifg=black guibg=green
        hi Visual guifg=yellow guibg=black
        hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black
        hi Identifier guifg=black
        hi Constant guifg=red
        hi Statement guifg=blue
        hi PreProc guifg=black gui=underline
        hi Special guifg=red
        hi Type guifg=blue

        au BufWinLeave *.pl,*.pm,*.c mkview
        au BufWinEnter *.pl,*.pm,*.c silent loadview

        Regards
        Alex

        --
        http://preferans.de
      • Hugh Sasse
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
          On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Alexander Farber wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I've spent several hours, but just can't figure out,
          > why wouldn't Vim 7.0 on my english Win Xp Pro PC
          > execute the highlight commands from my .vimrc.
          >
          > I'd like to have my Comments inverted and thus I have:
          > hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black

          If I recall correctly, this will affect gvim, because
          you have have used GUIfg and GUIbg (caps for emphasis).
          What happens if you supplement these:

          hi Comment ctermfg=white guifg=white ctermbg=black guibg=black

          Then it should affect vim invoked from the command prompt, I think.
          This is based on your talking about vim rather than gvim and not
          discussing how you invoked it. Sorry if this is irrelevant .

          Hugh
        • Yakov Lerner
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
            On 3/1/07, Alexander Farber <alexander.farber@...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > On 3/1/07, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:
            > > On 3/1/07, Alexander Farber <alexander.farber@...> wrote:
            > > > When I enter ":hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black"
            > > > manually or ":so ~/.vimrc" then it does work.
            > >
            > > It's not ignored. It's overwritten later.
            > > 1. Try 'syn off' 'syntax on' after that. Does it affect you colors ?
            >
            > it does affect my colors: "syn off" turns everything black/white
            > and "syn on" brings the colors back (but wrong colors -
            > my Comments are still not inverted)
            >
            > > 2. Do you have 'color ...' c(colorscheme setting) in your vimrc ?
            >
            > No, here is my complete ~/.vimrc:

            Ok, you can try the following:
            For every 'hi ...' command in your ~/.vimrc, have two lines:
            hi Comment ctermfg=Red ctermbg=Green
            au ColorScheme * hi Comment ctermfg=Red ctermbg=Green
            in your vimrc. Your settings will not be overwritten. However.

            This method is not recommended: if you try to change colorscheme,
            the colorscheme settings will be overwritten by your additions.
            But you can try.

            Yakov
          • Alexander Farber
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
              Hello Hugh,

              On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
              > On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Alexander Farber wrote:
              > > I'd like to have my Comments inverted and thus I have:
              > > hi Comment guifg=white guibg=black
              >
              > If I recall correctly, this will affect gvim, because
              > you have have used GUIfg and GUIbg (caps for emphasis).
              > What happens if you supplement these:
              >
              > hi Comment ctermfg=white guifg=white ctermbg=black guibg=black
              >
              > Then it should affect vim invoked from the command prompt, I think.
              > This is based on your talking about vim rather than gvim and not
              > discussing how you invoked it. Sorry if this is irrelevant .

              no, unfortunately this doesn't change anything.
              I've had those in my ~/.vimrc originally:

              syntax on
              hi Cursor term=inverse ctermfg=black guifg=black
              guibg=green
              hi Visual term=inverse ctermfg=yellow ctermbg=black guifg=yellow
              guibg=black
              hi Comment term=inverse ctermfg=white ctermbg=black guifg=white
              guibg=black
              hi Identifier term=NONE ctermfg=black guifg=black
              hi Constant term=underline ctermfg=red guifg=red
              hi Statement term=bold ctermfg=blue guifg=blue
              hi PreProc term=NONE ctermfg=black guifg=black
              gui=underline
              hi Special term=NONE ctermfg=red guifg=red
              hi Type term=bold ctermfg=blue guifg=blue

              but only gui* stuff mattered (when I "so ~/.vimrc")
              so I have deleted the rest before posting my question here.

              Regards
              Alex

              --
              http://preferans.de
            • Hugh Sasse
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
                On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Alexander Farber wrote:

                > no, unfortunately this doesn't change anything.
                > I've had those in my ~/.vimrc originally:
                [...]

                Then try
                :scriptnames
                to see which scripts have been loaded in what order, that way
                you'll have an idea what is picked up after your .vimrc and
                for the case of syntax files there are likely things which "bend
                your colourscheme to their will", so to speak.

                And you might want to put the comment highlights in
                %HOME%/vimfiles/after/syntax/something.vim

                see the results of

                :set runtimepath?

                for where this might be.

                > Regards
                > Alex
                >

                > --
                > http://preferans.de

              • Alexander Farber
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
                  Hello Hugh,

                  On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
                  > :scriptnames

                  1: C:\Documents and Settings\afarber\.vimrc
                  2: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syntax.vim
                  3: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\synload.vim
                  4: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                  5: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\filetype.vim
                  6: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\menu.vim
                  7: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\autoload\paste.vim
                  8: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\getscript.vim
                  9: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\gzip.vim
                  10: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\matchparen.vim
                  11: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
                  12: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\rrhelper.vim
                  13: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\spellfile.vim
                  14: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tarPlugin.vim
                  15: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tohtml.vim
                  16: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
                  17: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\zipPlugin.vim
                  18: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\actionscript.vim

                  so ok, my ~/.vimrc is getting executed (I could also see
                  that because all my other setting like font size do work)
                  but then the highlight colors get overwritten by something
                  (like Yakov told me several times).

                  > And you might want to put the comment highlights in
                  > %HOME%/vimfiles/after/syntax/something.vim

                  Actually I edit .sh, .pl, .c, .h, .java and .as files
                  and like to have similar colors (like inverted comments)
                  everywhere. So probably this is not the best way?

                  > :set runtimepath?

                  runtimepath=~/vimfiles,C:\Program Files\Vim/vimfiles,C:\Program
                  Files\Vim\vim70,C:\Program Files\Vim/vimfiles/after,~/vimfiles/after

                  Regards
                  Alex

                  --
                  http://preferans.de
                • Hugh Sasse
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
                    On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Alexander Farber wrote:

                    > Hello Hugh,
                    >
                    > On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
                    > > :scriptnames
                    >
                    > 1: C:\Documents and Settings\afarber\.vimrc
                    > 2: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syntax.vim
                    > 3: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\synload.vim
                    > 4: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                    [...]
                    > 18: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\actionscript.vim

                    Those at least could do it.

                    > so ok, my ~/.vimrc is getting executed (I could also see
                    > that because all my other setting like font size do work)
                    > but then the highlight colors get overwritten by something
                    > (like Yakov told me several times).
                    >
                    > > And you might want to put the comment highlights in
                    > > %HOME%/vimfiles/after/syntax/something.vim
                    >
                    > Actually I edit .sh, .pl, .c, .h, .java and .as files
                    > and like to have similar colors (like inverted comments)
                    > everywhere. So probably this is not the best way?

                    Then I'm not really sure what is, hopefully someone else will
                    jump in here....

                    > > :set runtimepath?
                    >
                    > runtimepath=~/vimfiles,C:\Program Files\Vim/vimfiles,C:\Program
                    > Files\Vim\vim70,C:\Program Files\Vim/vimfiles/after,~/vimfiles/after

                    I know that
                    :set verbose=10
                    would tell you where varaiables were set, but I don't know how to find
                    out when a command like `hi comment ...` was used....

                    > Regards
                    > Alex

                    Hugh
                  • Peter Hodge
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
                      --- Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:

                      > On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Alexander Farber wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hello Hugh,
                      > >
                      > > On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Actually I edit .sh, .pl, .c, .h, .java and .as files
                      > > and like to have similar colors (like inverted comments)
                      > > everywhere. So probably this is not the best way?
                      >
                      > Then I'm not really sure what is, hopefully someone else will
                      > jump in here....

                      Hello,

                      If you insist on having your colors inside .vimrc, then you can do it like
                      this:

                      augroup MyColors
                      autocmd!
                      autocmd ColorScheme * hi Cursor term=inverse ctermfg=black
                      guifg=black guibg=green
                      autocmd ColorScheme * hi Visual term=inverse ctermfg=yellow
                      ctermbg=black guifg=yellow guibg=black
                      autocmd ColorScheme * hi Comment term=inverse ctermfg=white
                      ctermbg=black guifg=white guibg=black
                      autocmd ColorScheme * hi Identifier term=NONE ctermfg=black
                      guifg=black
                      autocmd ColorScheme * hi Constant term=underline ctermfg=red
                      guifg=red
                      autocmd ColorScheme * hi Statement term=bold ctermfg=blue
                      guifg=blue
                      autocmd ColorScheme * hi PreProc term=NONE ctermfg=black
                      guifg=black gui=underline
                      autocmd ColorScheme * hi Special term=NONE ctermfg=red
                      guifg=red
                      autocmd ColorScheme * hi Type term=bold ctermfg=blue
                      guifg=blue
                      augroup end

                      otherwise, you can download my AfterColors plugin:

                      and move your highlight commands into $HOME\vimfiles\after\colors\common.vim'.

                      regards,
                      Peter

                    • Mark Woodward
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                        Hi alex,

                        On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 16:33 +0100, Alexander Farber wrote:
                        > Hello Hugh,
                        >
                        > On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
                        > > :scriptnames
                        >
                        > 1: C:\Documents and Settings\afarber\.vimrc
                        > 2: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syntax.vim
                        > 3: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\synload.vim
                        > 4: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                        > 5: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\filetype.vim
                        > 6: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\menu.vim
                        > 7: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\autoload\paste.vim
                        > 8: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\getscript.vim
                        > 9: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\gzip.vim
                        > 10: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\matchparen.vim
                        > 11: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
                        > 12: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\rrhelper.vim
                        > 13: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\spellfile.vim
                        > 14: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tarPlugin.vim
                        > 15: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tohtml.vim
                        > 16: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
                        > 17: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\zipPlugin.vim
                        > 18: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\actionscript.vim

                        Is this Vim or gVim?
                        If the later, where's the .gvimrc file?
                        If the former, putting guifg=... in the .vimrc is meaningless.

                        If you're using gVim create a .gvimrc file in the same directory as
                        the .vimrc. Place the guifg=... stuff in there.

                        What is the output of scriptnames now?
                        Is the syntax as you'd like it now?

                        cheers,

                        --
                        Mark
                      • A.J.Mechelynck
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                          Mark Woodward wrote:
                          > Hi alex,
                          >
                          > On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 16:33 +0100, Alexander Farber wrote:
                          >> Hello Hugh,
                          >>
                          >> On 3/1/07, Hugh Sasse <hgs@...> wrote:
                          >>> :scriptnames
                          >> 1: C:\Documents and Settings\afarber\.vimrc
                          >> 2: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syntax.vim
                          >> 3: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\synload.vim
                          >> 4: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                          >> 5: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\filetype.vim
                          >> 6: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\menu.vim
                          >> 7: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\autoload\paste.vim
                          >> 8: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\getscript.vim
                          >> 9: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\gzip.vim
                          >> 10: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\matchparen.vim
                          >> 11: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
                          >> 12: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\rrhelper.vim
                          >> 13: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\spellfile.vim
                          >> 14: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tarPlugin.vim
                          >> 15: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tohtml.vim
                          >> 16: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
                          >> 17: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\zipPlugin.vim
                          >> 18: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\actionscript.vim
                          >
                          > Is this Vim or gVim?
                          > If the later, where's the .gvimrc file?
                          > If the former, putting guifg=... in the .vimrc is meaningless.
                          >
                          > If you're using gVim create a .gvimrc file in the same directory as
                          > the .vimrc. Place the guifg=... stuff in there.
                          >
                          > What is the output of scriptnames now?
                          > Is the syntax as you'd like it now?
                          >

                          > cheers,

                          It's perfectly possible to run gvim with no gvimrc (it does source the vimrc).
                          ":highlight" commands would sit better in a colorscheme, but regardless of
                          whether they're in a colorscheme or in the vimrc, it's possible to set both
                          cterm[bf]g= and gui[bf]g= (and term= if deemed necessary) in the same ":hi"
                          command.

                          IIUC, ":syntax on" resets all colors, re-invoking the current colorscheme if
                          any: thus it's usually less problematic to define colors in a colorscheme.
                          (When default colors are OK, the corresponding highlight groups can be omitted.)

                          See (attached) an example colorscheme, which is the one I use for my
                          day-to-day editing. It may help you design your own. To use this one, drop it
                          in ~/.vim/colors and add

                          colorscheme almost-default

                          to your vimrc.

                          79. All of your most erotic dreams have a scrollbar at the right side.
                        • Alexander Farber
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                            Hello all,

                            I have received many nice replies, thank you!

                            Unfortunately none of them worked for me yet,
                            lest editing C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                            which is not what I need (please read below why).

                            May I rephrase my question please?

                            Does anybody please have a line, which I could
                            put into my ~/.vimrc and which would invert the
                            color of Comment's in vim and gvim on any OS?

                            And here is the background: I work on different
                            machines (servers, PCs, laptops) and OSs (Windows,
                            Cygwin, Solaris, HP, Linux and at home OpenBSD).
                            And I edit c/java/perl/shell/actionscript source code.

                            Until now I was very happy with my vim, because
                            I could come anywhere, drop my ~/.vimrc into home dir
                            (with: hi Comment term=inverse ctermfg=white
                            ctermbg=black guifg=white guibg=black )

                            and start working in 2 minutes (laughing at the emacs
                            and other editor users, who would run around and whine,
                            that something doesn't work for them).

                            Unfortunately as of Vim 7.0 this does not work for me.
                            And while I can edit ...\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                            on a PC, I don't have permissions on Unix to do that.

                            So does anybody has a line for ~/.vimrc for me, so that
                            I put that file on my USB-keychain and on my web server
                            and can reuse it anywhere? Thank you very much

                            Regards
                            Alex

                            --
                            http://preferans.de
                          • Yukihiro Nakadaira
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                              You should set 'background' option.

                              set background=light " or dark
                              hi ...
                              hi ...

                              If 'background' option is not set, Vim may change it while initializing
                              GUI (after vimrc is sourced). Then "syntax/syncolor.vim" is sourced and
                              highlight settings are reset.

                            • Alexander Farber
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                                Yukihiro-San, you're genius!

                                On 3/2/07, Yukihiro Nakadaira <yukihiro.nakadaira@...> wrote:
                                > You should set 'background' option.
                                >
                                > set background=light " or dark
                                > hi ...
                                > hi ...
                                >
                                > If 'background' option is not set, Vim may change it while initializing
                                > GUI (after vimrc is sourced). Then "syntax/syncolor.vim" is sourced and
                                > highlight settings are reset.

                                After I've done that, my old ~/.vimrc started working
                                as before again, thank you very much:

                                syntax on
                                set bg=light

                                hi Cursor term=inverse ctermfg=black guifg=black guibg=green
                                hi Visual term=inverse ctermfg=yellow ctermbg=black guifg=yellow
                                guibg=black
                                hi Comment term=inverse ctermfg=white ctermbg=black guifg=white guibg=black
                                hi Identifier term=NONE ctermfg=black guifg=black
                                hi Constant term=underline ctermfg=red guifg=red
                                hi Statement term=bold ctermfg=blue guifg=blue
                                hi PreProc term=NONE ctermfg=black guifg=black gui=underline
                                hi Special term=NONE ctermfg=red guifg=red
                                hi Type term=bold ctermfg=blue guifg=blue

                                Regards
                                Alex

                                PS: Thank you all others too for your suggestions!
                                (they were a bit to heavy for me though -
                                I guess I need just a vi, with basic syntax highlighting)

                                --
                                http://preferans.de
                              • Mark Woodward
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
                                  Hi Tony,

                                  On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 10:52 +0100, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                                  > Mark Woodward wrote:
                                  > > Hi alex,
                                  > >
                                  > > On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 16:33 +0100, Alexander Farber wrote:

                                  > >> 1: C:\Documents and Settings\afarber\.vimrc
                                  > >> 2: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syntax.vim
                                  > >> 3: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\synload.vim
                                  > >> 4: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim
                                  > >> 5: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\filetype.vim
                                  > >> 6: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\menu.vim
                                  > >> 7: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\autoload\paste.vim
                                  > >> 8: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\getscript.vim
                                  > >> 9: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\gzip.vim
                                  > >> 10: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\matchparen.vim
                                  > >> 11: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim
                                  > >> 12: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\rrhelper.vim
                                  > >> 13: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\spellfile.vim
                                  > >> 14: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tarPlugin.vim
                                  > >> 15: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\tohtml.vim
                                  > >> 16: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\vimballPlugin.vim
                                  > >> 17: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\plugin\zipPlugin.vim
                                  > >> 18: C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\actionscript.vim
                                  > >
                                  > > Is this Vim or gVim?
                                  > > If the later, where's the .gvimrc file?
                                  > > If the former, putting guifg=... in the .vimrc is meaningless.
                                  > >
                                  > > If you're using gVim create a .gvimrc file in the same directory as
                                  > > the .vimrc. Place the guifg=... stuff in there.
                                  > >
                                  > > What is the output of scriptnames now?
                                  > > Is the syntax as you'd like it now?
                                  > >

                                  > > cheers,
                                  > >

                                  > It's perfectly possible to run gvim with no gvimrc (it does source the vimrc).
                                  > ":highlight" commands would sit better in a colorscheme, but regardless of
                                  > whether they're in a colorscheme or in the vimrc, it's possible to set both
                                  > cterm[bf]g= and gui[bf]g= (and term= if deemed necessary) in the same ":hi"
                                  > command.
                                  >
                                  > IIUC, ":syntax on" resets all colors, re-invoking the current colorscheme if
                                  > any: thus it's usually less problematic to define colors in a colorscheme.
                                  > (When default colors are OK, the corresponding highlight groups can be omitted.)
                                  >
                                  > See (attached) an example colorscheme, which is the one I use for my
                                  > day-to-day editing. It may help you design your own. To use this one, drop it
                                  > in ~/.vim/colors and add
                                  >
                                  > colorscheme almost-default
                                  >
                                  > to your vimrc.
                                  >

                                  > Best regards,
                                  > Tony.

                                  I agree gui hi can be set in the _vimrc file. However:

                                  However when I enter ":verbose hi Comment" I get:

                                  Comment xxx term=bold ctermfg=1 guifg=Blue
                                  Last set from C:\Program Files\Vim\vim70\syntax\syncolor.vim

                                  If the OP had a _gvimrc file it would be sources after the runtime
                                  syntax files:

                                  /home/mark/.vimrc
                                  /home/mark/.vim/filetype.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/filetype.vim
                                  /home/mark/.vim/ftdetect/ruby.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/menu.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/autoload/paste.vim
                                  /home/mark/.vim/after/filetype.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/ftplugin.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/indent.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/syntax/syntax.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/syntax/synload.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/syntax/syncolor.vim <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                  /home/mark/.vim/plugin/curr_word.vim
                                  /home/mark/.vim/plugin/imaps.vim
                                  /home/mark/.vim/plugin/matchit.vim
                                  /home/mark/.vim/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
                                  /home/mark/.vim/plugin/project.vim
                                  /home/mark/.vim/plugin/rails.vim
                                  /home/mark/.vim/plugin/rcodetools.vim
                                  /home/mark/.vim/plugin/taglist.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/getscript.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/gzip.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/matchparen.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/rrhelper.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/spellfile.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/tohtml.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
                                  /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
                                  /home/mark/.gvimrc <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                  /home/mark/.vim/after/color/tweak.vim

                                  I only source tweak.vim from .gvimrc and like you it's just a 'tweak' of
                                  the default colors. For some filetypes (ruby for eg) I have a
                                  ruby_cols.vim file in ~/after/ftplugin/ that contains specific hi
                                  commands:

                                  eg
                                  rubyBoolean, rubyComment, rubyDocumentation, rubyData,
                                  rubyStringDelimiter, rubyString, rubyNoInterpolation,
                                  rubyPseudoVariable, rubyInteger, rubyASCIICode, rubyFloat, rubyEscape,
                                  rubyInterpolation, rubyDataDirective, rubyOperator,

                                  which basically means I can go overboard tweaking ruby syntax ;-)

                                  cheers,

                                  --
                                  Mark