Re: vim console?

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2007
      John Doe wrote:

      >Oh, thank you for your reply:
      >
      >I wanted to know how to _program_ the vim 'console', from a script: the
      >general direction on how to do it: I know how to obtain the number of
      >columns and rows, but how about how to write a specific char to a
      >specific location, also is it possible to access the Internet from a
      >script, just as it's possible from awk, for example.

      Anything you can type from the command line can go into a script.
      Anything you type in normal mode can be typed from a command line; see
      :help :norm
      Hence anything from normal mode can also go into a script (just use norm).

      I'm not sure about what you mean by obtaining the number of columns and
      rows.

      How to write to a specific location: there are several ways, but one is:

      linewise : call setline(lnum,"new line goes here") " lnum is an
      integer

      writing a character to a specific column in a specific line: (replacing
      in line #lnum, column# colnum, with character X)

      lnum " put line number in instead of lnum
      colnum| " put column number in instead of colnum
      norm! rX

      Accessing the internet is possible, see :help :! and :help system()
      . Alternatively, you may use netrw's url format:

      r scp://hostname/path/to/a/file
      w ftp://hostname/path/to/a/file
      so scp://hostname/path/to/a/file

      Regards,