Re: GB18030 != CP936 (Alternative project?)

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > Here is an alternative way to handle it, which may be "the right way"
      > from a conceptual point of view, and in the long term, though it may
      > be much more difficult from the coding point of view. It may or may
      > not be "the right thing to do" pragmatically:
      >
      > Treat GB18030 as what it is, namely, a Unicode Transformation Format.
      > In other words, whenever 'encoding' is set to GB18030, use UTF-8
      > internally and convert when reading and writing, just like we already
      > do for UTF-16le, UTF-16be, UTF-32le and UTF-32be.
      >
      > This, of course, also suffers from the performance problems related to
      > conversion GB18030 <=> UTF-8.

      Converting various Unicode encodings to and from UTF-8 is trivial.
      Conversion between GB18030 and UTF-8 requires iconv. This is a huge
      difference. Also because the conversion may fail.

      If we go this way it's probably better not to use tricks and explicitly
      set 'encoding' to utf-8. One would need to try this out to discover any
      problems, e.g. with menus. Try Motif: GTK is utf-8 based thus Motif is
      more of a challange.

      --
      Spam seems to be something useful to novices. Later you realize that
      it's a bunch of indigestable junk that only clogs your system.