Re: Cursor position - file history

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2007
      On 2/20/07, David Woodfall <dave@...> wrote:
      > Is there any way of getting vim to remember more previously opened file
      > cursor positions?
      >
      > Searching for history only yields command history.
      >
      > --
      > It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than forgiveness for
      > being right.

      Try

      set viminfo='200,<50,s10,:20,h
      set viminfo='300,<50,s10,:20,h
      set viminfo='500,<50,s10,:20,h

      :help 'viminfo'

      Yakov
    • Bill McCarthy
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2007
        On Tue 20-Feb-07 1:23am -0600, David Woodfall wrote:

        > Is there any way of getting vim to remember more previously opened file
        > cursor positions?
        >
        > Searching for history only yields command history.

        ":helpgrep history\c" yielded 214 hits from the $VIMRUNTIME
        docs. For specific help:

        :h 'viminfo'

        The ' parameter is what I think you want - the default is to
        save marks for 20 files.

        Bill
      • David Woodfall
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2007
          On (03:09 20/02/07), Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> put forth the proposition:
          > On 2/20/07, David Woodfall <dave@...> wrote:
          > >Is there any way of getting vim to remember more previously opened file
          > >cursor positions?
          > >
          > >Searching for history only yields command history.
          > >
          > >--
          > >It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than forgiveness for
          > >being right.
          >
          > Try
          >
          > set viminfo='200,<50,s10,:20,h
          > set viminfo='300,<50,s10,:20,h
          > set viminfo='500,<50,s10,:20,h
          >
          > :help 'viminfo'
          >
          > Yakov

          Nice. Thanks.

          --
          There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a
          suitable application of high explosives.

          Cheers! Dave
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2007
            David Woodfall wrote:
            > Is there any way of getting vim to remember more previously opened file
            > cursor positions?
            >
            > Searching for history only yields command history.

            From ":help jumplist": there is a separate list per window; the number of
            entries is fixed at 100.

            Whenever anyone says, "theoretically", they really mean, "not really".
            -- Dave Parnas