Workspace concept ala TextPad

  • Eric Leenman
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2007

      Is it possible to load a set of files when you start gvim? (Like in Textpad,
      for those who know this editor)
      For example:
      I have a project containing 20 files.
      I frequently uses 5 of them to modify and debug them.
      Can you give a command to vim like: "Load workspace projectX", which then
      load the 5 defined files?
      And when needed add or delete files from this workspace?

      Rgds,
      Eric

      something more.
      http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG
    • Max Dyckhoff
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2007
        Sessions should do what you want. You can look at :help session for more information, but this is basically what I do:

        1. Open the files that you want, in tabs (I typically have three tabs with source files, a tab with my todo.otl file, another with some init files and another with my .vimrc).
        2. Type :mksession ~/work_session.vim

        The file work_session.vim now contains the state of vim as it is. You can now quit that instance of vim, start up another and do

        :source ~/work_session.vim

        Or alternatively start vim with an argument:

        Vim -S ~/work_session.vim

        Presto, your "workspace" is there! If you want to add or remove files, just create a new session file with mksession, or replace the existing one.

        I generally always have my vim session open, but whenever I need to reboot (I'm on Windows, so that is pretty often), I do a :mksession and then when I get back I just :source the file and I'm back where I left off!

        Hope that helps,

        Max

      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 6, 2007
          Hi Eric,

          On 2/6/07, Eric Leenman <eric.leenman@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Is it possible to load a set of files when you start gvim? (Like in Textpad,
          > for those who know this editor)
          > For example:
          > I have a project containing 20 files.
          > I frequently uses 5 of them to modify and debug them.
          > Can you give a command to vim like: "Load workspace projectX", which then
          > load the 5 defined files?
          > And when needed add or delete files from this workspace?

          You can try using the workspace manager plugin:

          http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1410

          - Yegappan
        • Tom Purl
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 6, 2007
            > Is it possible to load a set of files when you start gvim? (Like in
            > Textpad, for those who know this editor) For example: I have a project
            > containing 20 files. I frequently uses 5 of them to modify and debug
            > them. Can you give a command to vim like: "Load workspace projectX",
            > which then load the 5 defined files? And when needed add or delete
            > files from this workspace?

            Two more options:

            Project plugin
            --------------

            * http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=69

            I don't know how I used to live without this plugin. It allows you to
            create an Eclipse-style layout of a group of files using arbitrary
            criteria.

            Plain-Old-Buffers
            -----------------

            You could also just open all of the files in Gvim and then use a tool
            like selectbuf (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=107) to
            navigate between them.

            HTH!

            Tom Purl
          • Eric Leenman
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7, 2007
              Hi Yegappan,

              >From: "Yegappan Lakshmanan" <yegappanl@...>
              >To: "Eric Leenman" <eric.leenman@...>
              [...]
              >You can try using the workspace manager plugin:
              >http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1410
              >- Yegappan

              I'm a simple VIM user.
              That's why I ask many things on this mailing-group, which is very
              responsive.
              Many times when I try to install very clever plugins I fail to do so.
              Mainly because of the missing-Vim knowledge you guys have.

              I decided to try it again and unfortantly failed again to follow the
              instructions.
              If it's not too much of your time, could you please explain what I need to
              do following your 6 points.
              If not thanks anyway.

              I read on the script that I need to follow the 6 points mentioned.

              [start of point 1]
              1. Download the workspace.zip file and unzip the files to the $HOME/.vim or
              the $HOME/vimfiles or the $VIM/vimfiles directory. This should unzip the
              following two files (the directory structure should be preserved):

              plugin/workspace.vim - main workspace plugin file
              doc/workspace.txt - documentation (help) file

              Refer to the 'add-plugin', 'add-global-plugin' and 'runtimepath'
              Vim help pages for more details about installing Vim plugins.
              [end of point 1]

              What I did:
              Download the zip file:
              And stored
              workspace.txt is stored in C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\doc
              workspace.vim C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin

              Is this OK?
              What is $HOME, how can I check this in VIM?
              What is $VIM, how can I check this in VIM?
              [start of point 2]
              2. Change to the $HOME/.vim/doc or $HOME/vimfiles/doc or
              $VIM/doc/vimfiles directory, start Vim and run the ":helptags ."
              command to process the workspace help file.
              [end of point 2]

              What I did:
              I don't understand the first part. What is ment here?
              I just started Vim and did typed: :helptags .
              Vim did do something, don't know what.

              [start of point 3]
              3. If you are running a terminal/console version of Vim and the terminal
              doesn't support changing the window width then set the
              'Ws_Inc_Winwidth' variable to 0 in the .vimrc file.
              [end of point 3]

              What I did:
              I ignored this, as I'm running gvim on windows xp.

              [start of point 4]
              [end of point 4]

              What I did:
              As there isn't a point 4 I went to point 5

              [start of point 5]
              5. Restart Vim.
              [end of point 5]

              What I did:
              I did close gvim and restarted it.

              [start of point 6]
              6. You can now use the ":WsOpen <filename>" command to open a
              workspace. You can use the ":help workspace" command to get
              more information about using the workspace plugin.
              [end of point 6]

              What I did:
              I typed :help workspace
              Vim replied: E149: Sorry, no help for workspace

              Thanks for your time.
              Best regards,
              Eric Leenman

              http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG
            • A.J.Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7, 2007
                Eric Leenman wrote:
                > Hi Yegappan,
                >
                >> From: "Yegappan Lakshmanan" <yegappanl@...>
                >> To: "Eric Leenman" <eric.leenman@...>
                > [...]
                >> You can try using the workspace manager plugin:
                >> http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1410
                >> - Yegappan
                >
                > I'm a simple VIM user.
                > That's why I ask many things on this mailing-group, which is very
                > responsive.
                > Many times when I try to install very clever plugins I fail to do so.
                > Mainly because of the missing-Vim knowledge you guys have.
                >
                > I decided to try it again and unfortantly failed again to follow the
                > instructions.
                > If it's not too much of your time, could you please explain what I need
                > to do following your 6 points.
                > If not thanks anyway.
                >
                > I read on the script that I need to follow the 6 points mentioned.
                >
                > [start of point 1]
                > 1. Download the workspace.zip file and unzip the files to the $HOME/.vim
                > or the $HOME/vimfiles or the $VIM/vimfiles directory. This should unzip
                > the following two files (the directory structure should be preserved):
                >
                > plugin/workspace.vim - main workspace plugin file
                > doc/workspace.txt - documentation (help) file
                >
                > Refer to the 'add-plugin', 'add-global-plugin' and 'runtimepath'
                > Vim help pages for more details about installing Vim plugins.
                > [end of point 1]
                >
                > What I did:
                > Download the zip file:
                > And stored
                > workspace.txt is stored in C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\doc
                > workspace.vim C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin
                >
                > Is this OK?

                No. These directories are only for what comes bundled with Vim. You should not
                change anything there, because any upgrade (maybe tomorrow, maybe next year)
                may silently undo whatever changes you had made.

                > What is $HOME, how can I check this in VIM?

                :echo $HOME

                $HOME is your home directory. It's also where your _vimrc (and _gvimrc if you
                use one) ought to be.

                > What is $VIM, how can I check this in VIM?

                :echo $VIM

                On your system, I expect $VIM to be the directory C:\Program Files\Vim

                > [start of point 2]
                > 2. Change to the $HOME/.vim/doc or $HOME/vimfiles/doc or
                > $VIM/doc/vimfiles directory, start Vim and run the ":helptags ."
                > command to process the workspace help file.
                > [end of point 2]

                Now you know (as shown above) where $HOME is. cd to there (in the Dos Box) and do
                dir
                If there is no vimfiles subdir, then you should also do
                md vimfiles
                Then
                cd vimfiles
                dir
                Is there a doc dubdirectory? If not,
                md doc
                This is where the helpfile sould go.
                Is there (in what Vim calls $HOME/vimfiles) a plugin subdirectory? If not,
                md plugin
                That's where the .vim should go.
                Then,
                gvim
                :helptags ~/vimfiles/doc
                ( ~ is an abbreviation for $HOME). After this :helpgrep command has finished
                running (and the cursor has gone back to the edit window and started blinking
                again),
                :help workspace.txt
                ought to bring you to the first page of help for the workspace plugin.

                > What I did:
                > I don't understand the first part. What is ment here?
                > I just started Vim and did typed: :helptags .
                > Vim did do something, don't know what.

                No prob. The instructions above should tell you how to do it.

                > [start of point 3]
                > 3. If you are running a terminal/console version of Vim and the terminal
                > doesn't support changing the window width then set the
                > 'Ws_Inc_Winwidth' variable to 0 in the .vimrc file.
                > [end of point 3]
                >
                > What I did:
                > I ignored this, as I'm running gvim on windows xp.

                That's right, it's not for gvim. However, you can provide for it by testing in
                your vimrc (there are versions of vim.exe for Windows, running in console
                mode, and if you want to run them full-screen they won't be resizable. Add

                if ! has("gui_running")
                let g:Ws_Inc_Winwidth = 0
                endif

                to your vimrc. This will be ignored by gvim, because in gvim,
                has("gui_running") is nonzero.

                > [start of point 4]
                > [end of point 4]
                >
                > What I did:
                > As there isn't a point 4 I went to point 5

                :-)

                > [start of point 5]
                > 5. Restart Vim.
                > [end of point 5]
                >
                > What I did:
                > I did close gvim and restarted it.

                Right.

                > [start of point 6]
                > 6. You can now use the ":WsOpen <filename>" command to open a
                > workspace. You can use the ":help workspace" command to get
                > more information about using the workspace plugin.
                > [end of point 6]
                >
                > What I did:
                > I typed :help workspace
                > Vim replied: E149: Sorry, no help for workspace
                >
                > Thanks for your time.
                > Best regards,
                > Eric Leenman

                ":help workspace.txt" (as I showed above) or ":help workspace" (as shown here)
                ought to show the workspace help, one the tags file has been (re)generated (by
                ":helptags") in the directory containing the workspace.txt helpfile.
                :help :WsOpen
                also ought to show you how to use the ":WsOpen" command, about which I know
                nothing.

                Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of APL, I shall
                fear no evil, for I can string six primitive monadic and dyadic
                operators together.
                -- Steve Higgins
              • Jürgen Krämer
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 7, 2007

                  A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                  > Eric Leenman wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I read on the script that I need to follow the 6 points mentioned.
                  >>
                  >> [start of point 1]
                  >> 1. Download the workspace.zip file and unzip the files to the $HOME/.vim
                  >> or the $HOME/vimfiles or the $VIM/vimfiles directory. This should unzip
                  >> the following two files (the directory structure should be preserved):
                  >>
                  >> plugin/workspace.vim - main workspace plugin file
                  >> doc/workspace.txt - documentation (help) file
                  >>
                  >> Refer to the 'add-plugin', 'add-global-plugin' and 'runtimepath'
                  >> Vim help pages for more details about installing Vim plugins.
                  >> [end of point 1]
                  >>
                  >> What I did:
                  >> Download the zip file:
                  >> And stored
                  >> workspace.txt is stored in C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\doc
                  ^^^^^^^^
                  >> workspace.vim C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin
                  ^^^^^^^^

                  >> Is this OK?
                  >
                  > No. These directories are only for what comes bundled with Vim. You should not
                  > change anything there, because any upgrade (maybe tomorrow, maybe next year)
                  > may silently undo whatever changes you had made.

                  sorry to correct you, Tony, but I think you missed the "vimfiles" part of
                  those paths. C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles is used for system-wide
                  configuration files, not for files bundled with Vim.

                  [snip]

                  >> [start of point 2]
                  >> 2. Change to the $HOME/.vim/doc or $HOME/vimfiles/doc or
                  >> $VIM/doc/vimfiles directory, start Vim and run the ":helptags ."
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                  Those directories are swapped -- it should have read $VIM/vimfiles/doc.

                  >> command to process the workspace help file.
                  >> [end of point 2]

                  An easier way to update the tags file is to just start Vim and enter

                  :helptags $HOME/.vim/doc
                  :helptags $HOME/vimfiles/doc

                  or

                  :helptags $VIM/vimfiles/doc

                  In you case -- because C:\Program Files\Vim corresponds to $VIM -- the
                  third one is the correct one. After that, :help workspace should work.

                  Regards,
                  Jürgen

                • A.J.Mechelynck
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 8, 2007
                    Jürgen Krämer wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                    >> Eric Leenman wrote:
                    >>> I read on the script that I need to follow the 6 points mentioned.
                    [...]
                    >>> What I did:
                    >>> Download the zip file:
                    >>> And stored
                    >>> workspace.txt is stored in C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\doc
                    > ^^^^^^^^
                    >>> workspace.vim C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\plugin
                    > ^^^^^^^^
                    >>> Is this OK?
                    >> No. These directories are only for what comes bundled with Vim. You should not
                    >> change anything there, because any upgrade (maybe tomorrow, maybe next year)
                    >> may silently undo whatever changes you had made.
                    >
                    > sorry to correct you, Tony, but I think you missed the "vimfiles" part of
                    > those paths. C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles is used for system-wide
                    > configuration files, not for files bundled with Vim.
                    [...]

                    Oops. Right. It's C:\Program Files\vim\vim70 (and its contents) that you
                    shouldn't touch.

                    Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat is
                    good for dandruff.
                    -- Peter de Vries
                  • Eric Leenman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 14, 2007
                      Hi Yeggapan,

                      [...]
                      >You can try using the workspace manager plugin:
                      >
                      >http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1410
                      [...]

                      I got it so far working.
                      One question.
                      When I give the command "af"(AddFile) in the filebuffer, the plugin comes
                      with
                      the message "give file name" (or something like that)
                      Do you then need to type the complete path (i.e.
                      C:\Projects\FPGA\VHDL\test.vhdl)
                      Or can you browse to it ?

                      Rgds,
                      Eric

                      http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline
                    • Yegappan Lakshmanan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 15, 2007
                        Hi Eric,

                        On 2/14/07, Eric Leenman <eric.leenman@...> wrote:
                        > Hi Yeggapan,
                        >
                        > [...]
                        > >You can try using the workspace manager plugin:
                        > >
                        > >http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1410
                        > [...]
                        >
                        > I got it so far working.
                        > One question.
                        > When I give the command "af"(AddFile) in the filebuffer, the plugin comes
                        > with
                        > the message "give file name" (or something like that)
                        > Do you then need to type the complete path (i.e.
                        > C:\Projects\FPGA\VHDL\test.vhdl)
                        > Or can you browse to it ?

                        In the prompt for adding a file to the workspace, you have to enter
                        the filename.
                        If you are using Vim7, you can make the attached change to the workspace
                        plugin to get filename completion at this prompt. With this change, you can
                        complete directory and filenames at the prompt.

                        - Yegappan

                        ***************
                        *** 521,527 ****
                        let file_names = a:args

                        if file_names == ''
                        ! let file_names = input("Enter file name(s): ")
                        if file_names == ''
                        return
                        endif
                        --- 521,527 ----
                        let file_names = a:args

                        if file_names == ''
                        ! let file_names = input("Enter file name(s): ", '', 'file')
                        if file_names == ''
                        return
                        endif
                      • Eric Leenman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
                          Hi Yegappan,

                          I'm trying to do as you said:

                          >In the prompt for adding a file to the workspace, you have to enter
                          >the filename.
                          >If you are using Vim7, you can make the attached change to the workspace
                          >plugin to get filename completion at this prompt. With this change, you can
                          >complete directory and filenames at the prompt.
                          >
                          >- Yegappan
                          >
                          >***************
                          >*** 521,527 ****
                          > let file_names = a:args
                          >
                          > if file_names == ''
                          >! let file_names = input("Enter file name(s): ")
                          > if file_names == ''
                          > return
                          > endif
                          >--- 521,527 ----
                          > let file_names = a:args
                          >
                          > if file_names == ''
                          >! let file_names = input("Enter file name(s): ", '', 'file')
                          > if file_names == ''
                          > return
                          > endif

                          What I did:
                          I assume you mean line 521, 527.
                          But when I look at the workspace.vim file the line numbers doesn't line up
                          with it.
                          Therefor I copied the whole function Ws_Add_Files
                          It is from line number 483--556

                          " Ws_Add_Files
                          " Add one or more files to the current group in the workspace
                          function! s:Ws_Add_Files(args, append)
                          " Get the current group
                          let lnum = line('.')
                          let cmd = s:Ws_Get_Entry_Idx_By_Line('s:ws_entry_', lnum)
                          if cmd == ''
                          " Add the new files at the end of the workgroup
                          let prefix="s:ws_entry"
                          let idx=""
                          endif

                          exe cmd
                          if {prefix}{idx}_type == 'group' || {prefix}{idx}_type == 'workspace'
                          " Cursor is on a group name. Add the new file to this group
                          let prefix = prefix . idx . '_'
                          let idx = 0
                          endif

                          let file_names = a:args

                          if file_names == ''
                          " let file_names = input("Enter file name(s): ")
                          !let file_names = input("Enter file name(s): ", '', 'file')
                          if file_names == ''
                          return
                          endif
                          endif

                          let len = strlen(file_names)
                          let start = 0
                          let i = 0

                          while start != -1 && start < len
                          " Skip whitespace characters
                          if file_names[start] =~ '\s'
                          let start = matchend(file_names, '\s\+', start)
                          endif

                          if file_names[start] == "'"
                          " Single-quoted file name
                          let pat = "'[^']\\+'"
                          elseif file_names[start] == '"'
                          " Double-quoted file name
                          let pat = '"[^"]\+"'
                          else
                          " Unquoted filename
                          let pat = '.\{-}[^\\]\(\s\|$\)'
                          endif

                          " Extract one filename
                          let fnames = matchstr(file_names, pat, start)
                          let skip_pat = "['" . '"]\=\zs.\{-}\ze[' . "'" . '"]\=$'
                          let fnames = matchstr(fnames, skip_pat)

                          let start = matchend(file_names, pat, start)

                          if fnames != ''
                          let fnames = glob(fnames) . "\n"
                          while fnames != ''
                          let one_fname = strpart(fnames, 0, stridx(fnames, "\n"))
                          if a:append
                          call s:Ws_Add_File(prefix, {prefix}count, one_fname)
                          else
                          call s:Ws_Add_File(prefix, idx + i, one_fname)
                          endif
                          let i = i + 1
                          let fnames = strpart(fnames, stridx(fnames, "\n") + 1)
                          endwhile
                          endif
                          endwhile

                          call s:Ws_Refresh()
                          endfunction

                          When I do it, and try to add a file, it ends up with:

                          C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c let file_names = input("Enter file name(s):
                          ", '', 'file')
                          'let' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program
                          or batch file.
                          shell returned 1
                          Hit any key to close this window...

                          What am I doing wrong?

                          Best regards,
                          Eric

                          Don�t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft�
                        • Eric Leenman
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                            Hi Yegappan

                            [...]
                            >Remove the "!" before the "let".
                            >
                            > let file_names = input("Enter file name(s): ", '', 'file')
                            >
                            >- Yegappan

                            Thanks, it works

                            Rgds,
                            Eric

                            Win a Zune��make MSN� your homepage for your chance to win!
                            http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline