Re: Go to start of visual selection

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007
      Tim Chase wrote:
      >> How can I move the cursor the start of the visual selection?
      >> With the "o" command, yes. But how can I make sure the cursor
      >> is at the start while visual mode is on? The "`<" motion
      >> followed by "gv" sets the cursor back to the end if it was
      >> there.
      >
      > I think it sounds like you want something like the following:

      > which gives you a "Go to the Top" and "Go to the Bottom" mapping within
      > visual mode.

      Won't they move the boundary of the visual area together with the cursor?

      > It can be a little funky in blockwise visual-mode, if your '< and '>
      > points are top-right and bottom-left (rather than top-left and
      > bottom-right), as the "top" will go to the top-right, not the top-left.
      > I haven't figured out a good way to do this without considerably more
      > code in the mapping (save the column of '< and then "gvO" to go back to
      > visual-mode but in the other corner and then compare the columns to see
      > which you want, perhaps needing to switch back...it's ugly).
      >
      > However, it should work fine in character-wise and line-wise visual modes.
      >
      > HTH,
      >
      > -tim

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007

        >> which gives you a "Go to the Top" and "Go to the Bottom" mapping within
        >> visual mode.
        >
        > Won't they move the boundary of the visual area together with the cursor?

        Not from my testing...

        [ed: a hush falls over the mailing-list...Tim actually tested
        this response?! :) ]

        Perhaps a diff. setting between our setups if you're experiencing
        drifting?

        Other than the peculiar caveat regarding blockwise visual mode,
        it worked for me. Even in blockwise mode, it successfully went
        to the top, but wasn't always the top-*left* anchor.

        Note that the ">" and "<" marks are jumped-to with the back-tick
        (rather than a regular apostrophe) which remembers column
        information as well, so when "gt" is run/expanded/executed, it

        1) leaves visual mode
        2) jumps to the exact anchor position of the bottom/top mark
        3) enters the previous visual-mode as returned by the
        visualmode() function
        4) and then jumps to the previous exact anchor position of the
        top/bottom mark

        -tim
      • Charles E Campbell Jr
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007
          Andy Wokula wrote:

          > How can I move the cursor the start of the visual selection? With the
          > "o" command, yes. But how can I make sure the cursor is at the start
          > while visual mode is on? The "`<" motion followed by "gv" sets the
          > cursor back to the end if it was there.

          I'm afraid that I don't understand your request.

          ctrl-v (move) o

          already puts the cursor into the upper left hand corner, assuming that
          you started with the upper left hand corner.

          ctrl-v (move) o <esc> (move) gv

          also puts the cursor back into the upper left hand corner (same assumption).

          The "gv" already moves the cursor, so typing `< gv is the same as
          typing gv.

          If what you want is to

          ctrl-v (move) <esc> ... gv

          and have that end up with the cursor at the upper left hand corner, just
          follow it by an o ; ie.

          ctrl-v (move) <esc> ... gvo

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007
            Tim Chase wrote:

            >>> which gives you a "Go to the Top" and "Go to the Bottom" mapping
            >>> within visual mode.
            >>
            >> Won't they move the boundary of the visual area together with the cursor?
            >
            > Not from my testing...
            >
            > [ed: a hush falls over the mailing-list...Tim actually tested this
            > response?! :) ]
            >
            > Perhaps a diff. setting between our setups if you're experiencing drifting?

            no, testing shows it's OK. I just hadn't noticed the _two_ mark jumps in these
            mappings.

            > Other than the peculiar caveat regarding blockwise visual mode, it
            > worked for me. Even in blockwise mode, it successfully went to the top,
            > but wasn't always the top-*left* anchor.
            >
            > Note that the ">" and "<" marks are jumped-to with the back-tick (rather
            > than a regular apostrophe) which remembers column information as well,
            > so when "gt" is run/expanded/executed, it
            >
            > 1) leaves visual mode
            > 2) jumps to the exact anchor position of the bottom/top mark
            > 3) enters the previous visual-mode as returned by the visualmode() function
            > 4) and then jumps to the previous exact anchor position of the
            > top/bottom mark
            >
            > -tim

          • Bill McCarthy
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007
              On Thu 1-Feb-07 11:51am -0600, Tim Chase wrote:

              Why do you use `<lt> instead of just `< ? Just a matter of
              preference?

              Bill
            • Tim Chase
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007

                > Why do you use `<lt> instead of just `< ? Just a matter of
                > preference?

                Depending on what follows the

                `<

                vim may try to interpret it as a character-notation. I prefer
                not to have to think about it, so just like with HTML entities
                when I write HTML, it's now hard-wired that, when writing
                mappings, I use <lt> (and I get stung enough with "|" vs. "<bar>"
                that I tend to err on the side of using the <> notation when I
                don't have to, just so I don't have to burn brain-cells thinking
                about it case-by-case.

                -tim
              • Yegappan Lakshmanan
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2007
                  Hi Bill,

                  On 2/1/07, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
                  > On Thu 1-Feb-07 11:51am -0600, Tim Chase wrote:

                  > Why do you use `<lt> instead of just `< ? Just a matter of
                  > preference?

                  The following text describing when to use <lt> in a map is taken
                  from the Vim keymap tutorial which is available at:

                  http://www.geocities.com/yegappan/vim_keymap.html

                  When Vim parses a string in a map command, the \<...> sequence of characters is
                  replaced by the corresponding control character. For example, let us
                  say in insert
                  mode you want the down arrow key to execute <C-N> when the insert complete
                  popup menu is displayed. Otherwise, you want the down arrow key to move the
                  cursor one line down. You can try the following command (which doesn't work):

                  :inoremap <Down> <C-R>=pumvisible() ? "\<C-N>" : "\<Down>"<CR>

                  When parsing the above command, Vim replaces <C-N> and <Down> with the
                  corresponding control characters. When you press the down arrow in insert
                  mode, as there are control characters in the expression now, the
                  command will fail.

                  To fix this, you should escape the "<" character, so that Vim will not
                  replace "\<C-N>" with the control character when parsing the command. The
                  following command works:

                  :inoremap <Down> <C-R>=pumvisible() ? "\<lt>C-N>" : "\<lt>Down>"<CR>

                  With the above command, Vim will use the control character only when the map
                  is invoked and not when the above command is parsed.

                  If the flag 'B' is present in 'cpoptions', then the backslash
                  character is not treated
                  as a special character in map commands. For example, let us say you want to
                  create an insert-mode map for the <F6> key to insert the text "Press <Home> to
                  go to first character". For this, you can try using the following command:

                  imap <F6> Press <Home> to go to first character

                  When you press <F6> in the insert mode, the <Home> in the above map will
                  cause Vim to move the cursor to the first character in the line and insert the
                  reminder of the text there. To literally enter the text "<Home>", you need
                  to escape it:

                  imap <F6> Press \<Home> to go to first character

                  If the flag 'B' is not present in 'cpoptions', then the above map command will
                  insert the correct text. If the flag 'B' is present, then the
                  backslash character is
                  not treated as a special character and the above map will not insert
                  the correct
                  text. To treat <Home> literally independent of the 'cpoptions' setting, you can
                  use the following command:

                  imap <F6> Press <lt>Home> to go to first character

                  In the above command, the notation <lt> is used for "<" in "<Home>".

                  - Yegappan
                • Andy Wokula
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                    Tim Chase schrieb:
                    >> How can I move the cursor the start of the visual selection?
                    >> With the "o" command, yes. But how can I make sure the cursor
                    >> is at the start while visual mode is on? The "`<" motion
                    >> followed by "gv" sets the cursor back to the end if it was
                    >> there.
                    >
                    > I think it sounds like you want something like the following:

                    > which gives you a "Go to the Top" and "Go to the Bottom" mapping within
                    > visual mode.
                    >
                    > It can be a little funky in blockwise visual-mode, if your '< and '>
                    > points are top-right and bottom-left (rather than top-left and
                    > bottom-right), as the "top" will go to the top-right, not the top-left.
                    > I haven't figured out a good way to do this without considerably more
                    > code in the mapping (save the column of '< and then "gvO" to go back to
                    > visual-mode but in the other corner and then compare the columns to see
                    > which you want, perhaps needing to switch back...it's ugly).
                    >
                    > However, it should work fine in character-wise and line-wise visual modes.
                    >
                    > HTH,
                    >
                    > -tim

                    I don't understand why this works.

                    There must be a difference between
                    `>v`<
                    and
                    :normal `>v`<

                    "v" defines a new visual area and overwrites the `<,`> markers. Why
                    does "`<" after ":normal" move the cursor to the start of the
                    _previously_ selected visual area?

                    Thx,
                    Andy

                    --
                    kühl, @... ist wieder zurück

                    EOF

                  • Andy Wokula
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2007
                      Tim Chase schrieb:
                      >> How can I move the cursor the start of the visual selection?
                      >> With the "o" command, yes. But how can I make sure the cursor
                      >> is at the start while visual mode is on? The "`<" motion
                      >> followed by "gv" sets the cursor back to the end if it was
                      >> there.
                      >
                      > I think it sounds like you want something like the following:

                      > which gives you a "Go to the Top" and "Go to the Bottom" mapping within
                      > visual mode.
                      >
                      > It can be a little funky in blockwise visual-mode, if your '< and '>
                      > points are top-right and bottom-left (rather than top-left and
                      > bottom-right), as the "top" will go to the top-right, not the top-left.
                      > I haven't figured out a good way to do this without considerably more
                      > code in the mapping (save the column of '< and then "gvO" to go back to
                      > visual-mode but in the other corner and then compare the columns to see
                      > which you want, perhaps needing to switch back...it's ugly).
                      >
                      > However, it should work fine in character-wise and line-wise visual modes.
                      >
                      > HTH,
                      >
                      > -tim

                      Works fine at least for character-wise visual mode, thanks! :-)
                      IMHO, this little basic feature should be included in Vim.

                      Regards,
                      Andy

                      --
                      EOF

                    • Tim Chase
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 6, 2007

                        > I don't understand why this works.
                        >
                        > There must be a difference between
                        > `>v`<
                        > and
                        > :normal `>v`<
                        >
                        > "v" defines a new visual area and overwrites the `<,`>
                        > markers. Why does "`<" after ":normal" move the cursor to
                        > the start of the _previously_ selected visual area?

                        Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on this...life got a
                        little crazy.

                        Buried away in the help just above

                        :help :map-verbose

                        and in the section

                        :help map-listing

                        one finds this little morsel of help:

                        Note: When using mappings for Visual mode, you can use
                        the "'<" mark, which is the start of the last selected
                        Visual area in the current buffer |'<|.

                        It's also possible to read the help at

                        :help '<

                        either way, as it refers to the "last selected visual area"
                        which in visual-mode could mean either "the area selected
                        before the the one I'm currently in", or "the current visual
                        selection which is now the 'last selected visual area'
                        because I'm now doing something other than selecting". It
                        might help to have an extra sentence at this help to say
                        something like

                        If you are currently in visual mode, this refers to the
                        beginning/end of the *previous* visual selection

                        Hope this helps shed light on your question rather than
                        muddy the waters.

                        -tim
                      • Andy Wokula
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 7, 2007
                          Tim Chase schrieb:

                          > > I don't understand why this works.
                          > >
                          > > There must be a difference between
                          > > `>v`<
                          > > and
                          > > :normal `>v`<
                          > >
                          > > "v" defines a new visual area and overwrites the `<,`>
                          > > markers. Why does "`<" after ":normal" move the cursor to
                          > > the start of the _previously_ selected visual area?
                          >
                          > Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on this...life got a
                          > little crazy.
                          >
                          > Buried away in the help just above
                          >
                          > :help :map-verbose
                          >
                          > and in the section
                          >
                          > :help map-listing
                          >
                          > one finds this little morsel of help:
                          >
                          > Note: When using mappings for Visual mode, you can use
                          > the "'<" mark, which is the start of the last selected
                          > Visual area in the current buffer |'<|.

                          Thanks for the pointer! I couldn't find hints about this in the help.

                          Interesting that "mappings for Visual mode" include commands given
                          with :normal (emphasize on "mappings").

                          > It's also possible to read the help at
                          >
                          > :help '<
                          >
                          > either way, as it refers to the "last selected visual area"
                          > which in visual-mode could mean either "the area selected
                          > before the the one I'm currently in", or "the current visual
                          > selection which is now the 'last selected visual area'
                          > because I'm now doing something other than selecting". It
                          > might help to have an extra sentence at this help to say
                          > something like
                          >
                          > If you are currently in visual mode, this refers to the
                          > beginning/end of the *previous* visual selection

                          This phrase would be more comprehensible, indeed.

                          > Hope this helps shed light on your question rather than
                          > muddy the waters.
                          >
                          > -tim

                          Most important: It turned out to be documented :-)

                          Regards,
                          Andy

                          --
                          EOF

                        • Andy Wokula
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 16, 2007
                            Andy Wokula schrieb:
                            > Tim Chase schrieb:
                            >>> How can I move the cursor the start of the visual selection?
                            >>> With the "o" command, yes. But how can I make sure the cursor
                            >>> is at the start while visual mode is on? The "`<" motion
                            >>> followed by "gv" sets the cursor back to the end if it was
                            >>> there.
                            >>
                            >> I think it sounds like you want something like the following:

                            >> which gives you a "Go to the Top" and "Go to the Bottom" mapping
                            >> within visual mode.
                            >>
                            >> It can be a little funky in blockwise visual-mode, if your '< and '>
                            >> points are top-right and bottom-left (rather than top-left and
                            >> bottom-right), as the "top" will go to the top-right, not the
                            >> top-left. I haven't figured out a good way to do this without
                            >> considerably more code in the mapping (save the column of '< and then
                            >> "gvO" to go back to visual-mode but in the other corner and then
                            >> compare the columns to see which you want, perhaps needing to switch
                            >> back...it's ugly).
                            >>
                            >> However, it should work fine in character-wise and line-wise visual
                            >> modes.
                            >>
                            >> HTH,
                            >>
                            >> -tim
                            >
                            > I don't understand why this works.
                            >
                            > There must be a difference between
                            > `>v`<
                            > and
                            > :normal `>v`<
                            >
                            > "v" defines a new visual area and overwrites the `<,`> markers. Why
                            > does "`<" after ":normal" move the cursor to the start of the
                            > _previously_ selected visual area?
                            >
                            > Thx,
                            > Andy

                            Ah, with a later Vim7 there is no difference any more.
                            Obviously this has been fixed with patch 125, dated August 2006.
                            Ok, this took three months till I got it ...

                            Andy