[Fwd: Re: .vimrc from URL]

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2007
      Forwarding to list.

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Re: .vimrc from URL
      Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 13:12:41 +0200
      From: Albie Janse van Rensburg <albie.jvr@...>
      To: A.J.Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...>
      <459D8EDE.10207@...> <200701050056.33245.mikmach@...>
      <459DA4E6.90204@...>

      Hi all

      I find this idea of a net-vimrc very interesting, so I have made a
      simple .vimrc that the OP can use:

      ===============================
      so $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
      Nread "{website}_vimrc.http"
      sav! ~/__vimrc
      so ~/__vimrc
      silent !rm ~/__vimrc
      enew
      ===============================

      (For some reason, the netrw plugin is named "netrwPlugin.vim" on my
      version of vim. Modify as is needed.)

      Of course, this must be loaded in each vimrc on the network, and you
      will need a web server to host the master vimrc.

      I have also hacked about a bit, and now I also have some functions for
      sourcing a file over a network, which I am attaching in
      "remotexecute.vim". If someone could look it over it would be
      appreciated. It only handles reading over FTP and HTML at the moment.

      I then went ahead and added the following to the tail of my vimrc:

      ===================================

      " netrw source the remote exec functions file - ugly!
      new
      Nread "http://morph.telspace.co.za/remotexecute.vim"
      let s:tempfilename = tempname()
      execute("sav! " . s:tempfilename)
      execute("so " . s:tempfilename)
      execute("silent !rm " . s:tempfilename)
      quit!

      " Now that we have the functions for sourcing files over a net connection, we
      " can map keys to edit our vimrc over the net, and associated functions.

      " Read the _vimrc into a new buffer
      nmap <silent> <C-F1> :new<CR>:execute ReadNetFileFTP("xxxx", "_vimrc",
      "xxxx")<CR>
      " Write the current buffer to the onlince _vimrc
      nmap <silent> <S-F1> :execute WriteNetFileFTP("xxxx", "_vimrc", "xxxx")<CR>

      ===================================

      Unfortunately, there seems to be something wrong with the write (Nwrite)
      action, whenever I try to write a file back to the server, I get the error:

      ===================================
      (netrw) Processing your write request
      ***netrw*** VIR14E.tmp: File not found
      Press <cr> to continue
      ===================================

      or (with g:netrw_ftp = 1):

      ===================================
      (netrw) Processing your write request
      ***netrw*** Invalid command.
      Press <cr> to continue

      How can I use netrw to write a file over ftp? I have tried various
      different methods to do this, but none seem to work. Does anyone else
      have the same problem?

      --
      Albie Janse van Rensburg (neonpill)

      Registered Linux User 438873 | <http://counter.li.org>