enable perl

  • Jorge Almeida
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
      Quoting the Makefile:
      # - Uncomment one or more of these lines to include an interface;
      # each makes Vim quite a bit bigger:
      # --enable-perlinterp for Perl interpreter
      # --enable-pythoninterp for Python interpreter
      # --enable-rubyinterp for Ruby interpreter
      # --enable-tclinterp for Tcl interpreter
      # --enable-cscope for Cscope interface

      I have no idea what this means. I probably want --enable-perlinterp
      since I use Perl, but what will it do? And about cscope? What is an
      interface, in this context?
      Could someone please elaborate a little on this matter?

      --
      Jorge Almeida
    • Jorge Almeida
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
        On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Yakov Lerner wrote:

        > On 1/2/07, Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@...> wrote:
        >> Quoting the Makefile:
        >> # - Uncomment one or more of these lines to include an interface;
        >> # each makes Vim quite a bit bigger:
        >> # --enable-perlinterp for Perl interpreter
        >> # --enable-pythoninterp for Python interpreter
        >> # --enable-rubyinterp for Ruby interpreter
        >> # --enable-tclinterp for Tcl interpreter
        >> # --enable-cscope for Cscope interface
        >>
        >> I have no idea what this means. I probably want --enable-perlinterp
        >> since I use Perl, but what will it do?
        >
        > This enable the :perl commands (:help :perl)
        > If all you need when editing perl sources is syntax coloring
        > and indentation, then you get it even without --enable-pythoninterp
        >
        >> And about cscope?
        > : help if_cscop.txt

        OK, thank you.
        --
        Jorge Almeida
      • Jorge Almeida
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2007
          On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
          > see my HowTo page for Unix/Linux:
          > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
          >
          > See also
          > : help if_perl.txt
          > : help if_cscop.txt
          >
          > Configuring with --enable-perlinterp will (if it succeeds) build a Vim
          > executable with +perl compiled-in, as shown in the ":version" listing. This
          > means that whatever is described in if_perl.txt will work as expected,
          > provided that: (a) the same version of Perl is installed as the one found at
          > compile-time by configure, and (b) Vim can find it at runtime.

          Thanks.

          Jorge