Cream slow to start up

  • Matti Picus
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
      I love gvim and use it at work on a Linux system with no connection to
      the outside world. My coworkers laugh at copy-paste cycles that involve
      <mark>ya <move>i<cntrl-x>" and <cntrl-x><cntrl-o> code completion, but I
      consistently code-compile-debug faster than they can using eclipse.

      I thought OK, let's setup vim to be more user friendly so I can do
      advocacy. This led me to using cream.

      I installed it (
      http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cream/cream-0-38-gvim-7-0-152.exe )
      on a windows computer to test, but found cream and its installation of
      vim both very slow to start up, on the order of 10s of seconds, about
      the same time as a network timeout. Is this reasonable? Is there some
      kind of "call home" in the startup files? A clean installation of vim
      7.0 from source on the same machine does not have this problem.
    • Yakov Lerner
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
        On 12/1/06, Matti Picus <matti@...> wrote:
        > I love gvim and use it at work on a Linux system with no connection to
        > the outside world. My coworkers laugh at copy-paste cycles that involve
        > <mark>ya <move>i<cntrl-x>" and <cntrl-x><cntrl-o> code completion, but I
        > consistently code-compile-debug faster than they can using eclipse.
        >

        > I thought OK, let's setup vim to be more user friendly so I can do
        > advocacy. This led me to using cream.
        >
        > I installed it (
        > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cream/cream-0-38-gvim-7-0-152.exe )
        > on a windows computer to test, but found cream and its installation of
        > vim both very slow to start up, on the order of 10s of seconds, about
        > the same time as a network timeout. Is this reasonable? Is there some
        > kind of "call home" in the startup files? A clean installation of vim
        > 7.0 from source on the same machine does not have this problem.

        You can try 'gvim.exe -V20/tmp/log' to identity points of slowness.
        You might need timestamps in the logfile for that. To add timestamps,
        you can try to redirect the logfile to the named pipe and the to
        utility which adds timestamps.

        Yakov
      • Steve Hall
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
          On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 15:24 +0200, Matti Picus wrote:

          [...]
          > I thought OK, let's setup vim to be more user friendly so I can do
          > advocacy. This led me to using cream.

          Cream has it's own lists (http://cream.sf.net/about.html), for the
          record. This list is quite tolerant, but I'd ask that you move this
          discussion there so we avoid taking advantage of it.

          > I installed it
          > (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cream/cream-0-38-gvim-7-0-152.exe)
          > on a windows computer to test, but found cream and its installation
          > of vim both very slow to start up, on the order of 10s of seconds,
          > about the same time as a network timeout. Is this reasonable?

          No, it should only add 2-3 seconds to normal gVim, maybe one or two
          more the first startup.

          > Is there some kind of "call home" in the startup files?

          No.

          > A clean installation of vim 7.0 from source on the same machine does
          > not have this problem.

          Cream is added to Vim, so it will never be as fast. It's overhead
          includes retained preferences, a different interface, add-ons,
          additional features, etc. But 10 seconds sounds like there is a
          problem, perhaps your discovered $HOME location is remote?

          Join the cream-general list and I'll help you sort it out.

          :: Cream... usability for Vim
          :: http://cream.sourceforge.net
        • Georg Dahn
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
            Hi!

            > I love gvim and use it at work on a Linux system with no connection to
            > the outside world. My coworkers laugh at copy-paste cycles that involve
            > <mark>ya <move>i<cntrl-x>" and <cntrl-x><cntrl-o> code completion, but I
            > consistently code-compile-debug faster than they can using eclipse.

            In Vim on Windows systems you can copy with Ctrl-Insert, paste with
            Shift-Insert, and cut with Ctrl-Delete even without sourcing mswin.vim
            or using Cream. I use this very much. It is just a matter of ones habit
            if one uses Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, and Ctrl-X or the other shortcuts, which you
            can use everywhere in Windows. Maybe this or something similar works on
            Linux Systems, too.

            > I thought OK, let's setup vim to be more user friendly so I can do
            > advocacy. This led me to using cream.

            Cream is a very fine configuration of Vim, it is more or less an editor
            of its own. I don't use it, but I have installed it for some people who
            did not like the native behavior of Vim but want to have its features.

            If you are doing fine with the native behavior of Vim (and you told us,
            that you are very quick with it), why don't you stay with it? You have
            to work with it efficiently, not the others. But it is a matter of
            taste, I got used to the native behavior of Vim before I found Cream and
            do not want to learn a new Editor, since I am rather efficient with
            Vim. And my configuration files do exactly what I want them to...

            Best wishes,
            Georg

          • Gary Johnson
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 13, 2006
              On 2006-12-03, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:

              > You can try 'gvim.exe -V20/tmp/log' to identity points of slowness.
              > You might need timestamps in the logfile for that. To add timestamps,
              > you can try to redirect the logfile to the named pipe and the to
              > utility which adds timestamps.

              What utility that adds timestamps?

              Regards,
              Gary

              --
              Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
              garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
              | Spokane, Washington, USA
            • Yakov Lerner
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 13, 2006
                On 12/13/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
                > On 2006-12-03, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:
                >
                > > You can try 'gvim.exe -V20/tmp/log' to identity points of slowness.
                > > You might need timestamps in the logfile for that. To add timestamps,
                > > you can try to redirect the logfile to the named pipe and the to
                > > utility which adds timestamps.
                >
                > What utility that adds timestamps?

                I don't know if you can call the [1] and [2] below 'utilities', but
                they copy standard input to standard output, adding
                the timestamp to microsecond resolution to each line.
                [1] is in perl, [2] is in C. Worksforme.

                Good luck,
                Yakov

                [1] --------- timestamp.pl ---------------------------------------------------
                #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                # timestamp.pl -- copy standard input to standard output, adding
                # timestamps with microsecond resolution.

                use POSIX qw(strftime);
                use Time::HiRes qw(gettimeofday);

                my ($seconds, $microseconds, $formatted_time );

                while(<STDIN>) {
                ($seconds, $microseconds) = gettimeofday;
                $formatted_time = strftime( "%H:%M:%S", localtime($seconds));
                printf "%s.%06d %s", $formatted_time, $microseconds, $_;
                }

                [2] --------------------timestamp.c
                /* timestamp.c - copy standard input to standard output, adding */
                /* timestamps with microsecond resolution */

                #include <stdio.h>
                #include <time.h>
                #include <sys/time.h>

                char *timestamp(char *buf, int max, time_t _time) {
                struct tm tm_;

                localtime_r(&_time, &tm_);
                strftime(buf, max, "%H:%M:%S", &tm_);
                return buf;
                }

                int main() {
                char buf[1024];
                char timebuf[30];
                struct timeval tv;

                while(fgets(buf, sizeof(buf), stdin) != NULL) {
                gettimeofday(&tv, NULL);
                printf("%s.%06ld %s",
                timestamp(timebuf, sizeof(timebuf), tv.tv_sec),
                (long)tv.tv_usec, buf);
                }
                return 0;
                }
              • Gary Johnson
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 14, 2006
                  On 2006-12-14, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:
                  > On 12/13/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
                  > > On 2006-12-03, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > You can try 'gvim.exe -V20/tmp/log' to identity points of slowness.
                  > > > You might need timestamps in the logfile for that. To add timestamps,
                  > > > you can try to redirect the logfile to the named pipe and the to
                  > > > utility which adds timestamps.
                  > >
                  > > What utility that adds timestamps?
                  >
                  > I don't know if you can call the [1] and [2] below 'utilities', but
                  > they copy standard input to standard output, adding
                  > the timestamp to microsecond resolution to each line.
                  > [1] is in perl, [2] is in C. Worksforme.

                  Thanks! timestamp.c works great, but I had to download the
                  Time::HiRes module for timestamp.pl and now I can't get timestamp.pl
                  to find it. (I don't use Perl very often.) I put the module here:

                  /home/garyjohn/lib/perl/Time/HiRes.pm

                  and added this line,

                  use lib ("/home/garyjohn/lib/perl");

                  to timestamp.pl, but when I use timestamp.pl I get this message:

                  Can't locate loadable object for module Time::HiRes in @INC (@INC contains: /home/garyjohn/lib/perl /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris /usr/perl5/5.00503 /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at ./timestamp.pl line 7
                  BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./timestamp.pl line 7.

                  It would be nice to have the Perl version working so that I don't
                  have to compile the C version for every OS I use, but it's not a big
                  deal if the solution doesn't jump out at you.

                  Thanks again,
                  Gary

                  --
                  Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
                  garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
                  | Spokane, Washington, USA
                • Yakov Lerner
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 14, 2006
                    On 12/14/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
                    > On 2006-12-14, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:

                    > > > What utility that adds timestamps?
                    > >
                    > > I don't know if you can call the [1] and [2] below 'utilities', but
                    > > they copy standard input to standard output, adding
                    > > the timestamp to microsecond resolution to each line.
                    > > [1] is in perl, [2] is in C. Worksforme.
                    >
                    > Thanks! timestamp.c works great, but I had to download the
                    > Time::HiRes module for timestamp.pl and now I can't get timestamp.pl
                    > to find it. (I don't use Perl very often.) I put the module here:
                    >
                    > /home/garyjohn/lib/perl/Time/HiRes.pm
                    >
                    > and added this line,
                    >
                    > use lib ("/home/garyjohn/lib/perl");
                    >
                    > to timestamp.pl, but when I use timestamp.pl I get this message:
                    >
                    > Can't locate loadable object for module Time::HiRes in @INC (@INC contains: /home/garyjohn/lib/perl /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris /usr/perl5/5.00503 /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at ./timestamp.pl line 7
                    > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./timestamp.pl line 7.
                    >
                    > It would be nice to have the Perl version working so that I don't
                    > have to compile the C version for every OS I use, but it's not a big
                    > deal if the solution doesn't jump out at you.

                    Time::HiRes is standard with perl 5.8. It can be easier to
                    install newer perl.
                    Yakov
                  • Gary Johnson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 14, 2006
                      On 2006-12-14, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:
                      > On 12/14/06, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:

                      > > > I don't know if you can call the [1] and [2] below 'utilities', but
                      > > > they copy standard input to standard output, adding
                      > > > the timestamp to microsecond resolution to each line.
                      > > > [1] is in perl, [2] is in C. Worksforme.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks! timestamp.c works great, but I had to download the
                      > > Time::HiRes module for timestamp.pl and now I can't get timestamp.pl
                      > > to find it. (I don't use Perl very often.) I put the module here:
                      > >
                      > > /home/garyjohn/lib/perl/Time/HiRes.pm
                      > >
                      > > and added this line,
                      > >
                      > > use lib ("/home/garyjohn/lib/perl");
                      > >
                      > > to timestamp.pl, but when I use timestamp.pl I get this message:
                      > >
                      > > Can't locate loadable object for module Time::HiRes in @INC (@INC
                      > > contains: /home/garyjohn/lib/perl /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris
                      > > /usr/perl5/5.00503 /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005/sun4-solaris
                      > > /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at ./timestamp.pl line 7
                      > > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./timestamp.pl line 7.
                      > >
                      > > It would be nice to have the Perl version working so that I don't
                      > > have to compile the C version for every OS I use, but it's not a big
                      > > deal if the solution doesn't jump out at you.
                      >
                      > Time::HiRes is standard with perl 5.8. It can be easier to
                      > install newer perl.

                      Thanks for the suggestion. I found that we have perl 5.8.6 on this
                      system already, but it's in /opt/TWWfsw/bin/perl rather than
                      /usr/bin/perl, so I just changed the first line of timestamp.pl to

                      #!/usr/bin/env perl

                      and now it works fine, too.

                      Regards,
                      Gary