Using Tags In A Markdown Doc

  • Tom Purl
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
      I use the potwiki plugin to document all types of things, and often some
      of the files can get pretty large. I use the Markdown markup language
      to author my potwiki pages, and organize the larger ones with headings
      and sub-headings and such.

      I would like to create an table of contents (TOC) on some of my large
      pages so I can jump around to different headings easily, like I do with
      Vim help files. However, I don't know how I could accomplish this in my
      potwiki pages.

      I took a look at the "tag" documentation, and it looks like I'll need to
      find some type of tag processor for my headings, but I don't know where
      to start. Is the help tag processor for vim available as a separate
      script, or would I have to register my wiki pages as help pages in order
      to use it? Am I even going about this correctly?

      Also, I don't have to use the Markdown markup in my pages. If I can use
      a different format and easily create tag files, then I'm happy with that
      too.

      Thanks in advance!

      Tom Purl
    • Yegappan Lakshmanan
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006

        On 12/2/06, Tom Purl <tom@...> wrote:
        > I use the potwiki plugin to document all types of things, and often some
        > of the files can get pretty large. I use the Markdown markup language
        > to author my potwiki pages, and organize the larger ones with headings
        > and sub-headings and such.
        >
        > I would like to create an table of contents (TOC) on some of my large
        > pages so I can jump around to different headings easily, like I do with
        > Vim help files. However, I don't know how I could accomplish this in my
        > potwiki pages.
        >
        > I took a look at the "tag" documentation, and it looks like I'll need to
        > find some type of tag processor for my headings, but I don't know where
        > to start. Is the help tag processor for vim available as a separate
        > script, or would I have to register my wiki pages as help pages in order
        > to use it? Am I even going about this correctly?

        You can use exuberant ctags to generate the tags file. Exuberant
        ctags is easily extendable to add support for new types of files.
        Visit the following page for more information.

        http://ctags.sourceforge.net/EXTENDING.html

        - Yegappan

        > Also, I don't have to use the Markdown markup in my pages. If I can use
        > a different format and easily create tag files, then I'm happy with that
        > too.

      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
          On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 11:08:00AM -0800, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > On 12/2/06, Tom Purl <tom@...> wrote:
          [snip]
          > >I took a look at the "tag" documentation, and it looks like I'll need to
          > >find some type of tag processor for my headings, but I don't know where
          > >to start. Is the help tag processor for vim available as a separate
          > >script, or would I have to register my wiki pages as help pages in order
          > >to use it? Am I even going about this correctly?
          > >

          > You can use exuberant ctags to generate the tags file. Exuberant
          > ctags is easily extendable to add support for new types of files.
          > Visit the following page for more information.
          >
          > http://ctags.sourceforge.net/EXTENDING.html
          >
          > - Yegappan

          If you are lucky, ctags already supports your language. If not,
          another option is to write a script to generate the tags file yourself.
          If you want to use a vim script to do it, then you may find aux2tags.vim
          helpful as a starting point:

          HTH --Benji Fisher