Re: "save as" in Windows menu

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      Leiss, Jack wrote:

      > I click on "save as" in the file menu of Windows. I do not get the "save as" window. Nothing happens. It used to work, but suddenly stopped. Some other menu selections work and some don't. How can I get "save as" to work from the file menu?
      >
      > I am using VIM version 5.3 and Windows XP Professional.
      >
      > I love VIM, but I am a naïve user. I use it only for writing plain text (not programming). A simple solution would be best.
      >
      > Thanks,

      1. Here's the simple solution:
      Use the :saveas command from the keyboard:

      :saveas filename.ext

      Or, if you want to overwrite an existing file, use

      :saveas! filename.ext

      (without the exclamation mark, if the new name already exists you get an error
      message).

      2. IMPORTANT WARNING:
      Vim 5.3 is a very, very, very old version. If someone gave it or sold it to
      you recently, you've been swindled. The latest release is 7.0.174. Get it (or
      7.0.161 which is still "reasonably recent") from
      https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721