RE: "save as" in Windows menu

  • Leiss, Jack
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
      I click on "save as" in the file menu of Windows. I do not get the "save as" window. Nothing happens. It used to work, but suddenly stopped. Some other menu selections work and some don't. How can I get "save as" to work from the file menu?

      I am using VIM version 5.3 and Windows XP Professional.

      I love VIM, but I am a naïve user. I use it only for writing plain text (not programming). A simple solution would be best.

      Thanks,

      Jack K. Leiss, Ph.D.
      Principal Investigator, Southeast Perinatal Health Project

      Chief Epidemiologist
      Center for Health Research
      Constella Group, LLC
      2605 Meridian Parkway, Suite 200
      Durham, NC 27713
      919.313.7595
      919.544.7507 fax
      jleiss@...
      www.constellagroup.com

      Enhancing human health around the world, every day.
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
        Leiss, Jack wrote:

        > I click on "save as" in the file menu of Windows. I do not get the "save as" window. Nothing happens. It used to work, but suddenly stopped. Some other menu selections work and some don't. How can I get "save as" to work from the file menu?
        >
        > I am using VIM version 5.3 and Windows XP Professional.
        >
        > I love VIM, but I am a naïve user. I use it only for writing plain text (not programming). A simple solution would be best.
        >
        > Thanks,

        1. Here's the simple solution:
        Use the :saveas command from the keyboard:

        :saveas filename.ext

        Or, if you want to overwrite an existing file, use

        :saveas! filename.ext

        (without the exclamation mark, if the new name already exists you get an error
        message).

        2. IMPORTANT WARNING:
        Vim 5.3 is a very, very, very old version. If someone gave it or sold it to
        you recently, you've been swindled. The latest release is 7.0.174. Get it (or
        7.0.161 which is still "reasonably recent") from
        https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721