Re: Matching JUST the nth occurence of a text in a line

  • mzyzik@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
      On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:34:14AM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
      > mzyzik@... wrote:
      >
      > >I am puzzled by a slightly more complicated version:
      > > how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?
      > >

      > /^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}home.\{-}\zs%

      This pattern doesn't work. Try it on this line:
      "home home home home home home% home"

      It should match nothing on that line, because the '%' doesn't follow the
      2nd occurrence as desired.

      --Matt

      > where N is 1 for the "2nd occurrence" (N is 2 for the third occurrence,
      > etc).
      >
      > This pattern matches up to and including the 2nd home, extends past a
      > minimal amount of anything up to but not including a %, whereupon the
      > pattern matching starts.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Chip Campbell

    • Charles E Campbell Jr
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
        mzyzik@... wrote:

        >On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:34:14AM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
        >

        >>mzyzik@... wrote:
        >>

        >>>I am puzzled by a slightly more complicated version:
        >>> how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?
        >>>

        >>/^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}home.\{-}\zs%
        >>

        >This pattern doesn't work. Try it on this line:
        >"home home home home home home% home"
        >
        >It should match nothing on that line, because the '%' doesn't follow the
        >2nd occurrence as desired.

        But it *does* work! You didn't specify avoiding the % if matches to the
        home pattern intervened.
        Try
        :set hls
        and the following two lines:

        home % home home home home home% home
        home home %home home home% home

        and you'll only see %s match after the 2nd home, exactly as specified.
        Now, if you change
        the requirement, a different regex is needed.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell
      • mzyzik@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006

          I can rephrase:
          "how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?"
          "how to match a '%' character directly following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?"

          I am pretty sure everyone else knew what I meant.

          --Matt

          P.S. Does adding "directly" change the meaning for you? And if so, do
          you know the regular expression I want?

          > Try
          > :set hls
          > and the following two lines:
          >
          > home % home home home home home% home
          > home home %home home home% home
          >
          > and you'll only see %s match after the 2nd home, exactly as specified.
          > Now, if you change
          > the requirement, a different regex is needed.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Chip Campbell

        • Yakov Lerner
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
            On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
            > One might think so, but also note:
            >
            > :help non-greedy

            I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
            from svn. Where do I get more updated helpfiles ?

            Yakov
          • Yakov Lerner
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
              > On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
              > > One might think so, but also note:
              > >
              > > :help non-greedy
              >
              > I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
              7.0.164, sorry, not 7.9.164. Still, where do I get more updated
              helpfiles like yours ?
              Yakov
            • A.J.Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                Yakov Lerner wrote:
                > On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
                >> One might think so, but also note:
                >>
                >> :help non-greedy
                >
                > I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
                > from svn. Where do I get more updated helpfiles ?
                >
                > Yakov

                By ftp:

                ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/

                and all its contents except its dos/ subdirectory.

                By rsync: the following assumes that you compile vim yourself, and that the
                current directory is the top of your building tree: src/.. if you will. The
                two additional lines copy (on Unix) the updated files to where you'll be using
                them (such as /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/).

                rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="/dos/" ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/ ./runtime/
                cd src
                make installruntime

                Either method updates all your runtime files. In addition, rsync removes
                outdated files which don't exist anymore in the latest version of the files,
                and it doesn't touch the files which are already up-to-date.

              • Bill McCarthy
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                  On Fri 1-Dec-06 7:19pm -0600, Yakov Lerner wrote:
                  > On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:

                  >> One might think so, but also note:
                  >>
                  >> :help non-greedy

                  > I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
                  > from svn. Where do I get more updated helpfiles ?

                  I see Tony already provided the an approach for unix. To
                  update your directories on Windows (using 4nt):

                  copy /[!*~]/u/s "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/dos" c:\vim\vim70

                  adjusting the target as appropriate. This copies only files
                  that are newer or didn't exist on the target. It skips
                  files ending with a tilde.

                  And if any help files were updated:

                  vim -nes "+helpt c:\vim\vim70\doc|q"

                  Bill