RE: I can't make gvim the default application for .txt files in WinXP

  • Jeffrey Robertson
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
      That's just a different way into the same dialog box I used in
      the first place. It doesn't work for me. Although I can select
      gvim.exe, it doesn't actually take effect. To be clear:
      1) I click Change It says notepad is the default.
      2) I click browse, and pick gvim.exe, and click Open.
      3) Notepad is still listed as the default.

      Does gvim have to "register" something with Windows to get recognized
      as a valid choice?

      -- Jeff.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
        No. That's my problem. How does gvim tell Windows to make itself an
        option in this list?

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
          Jeffrey Robertson wrote:
          > No. That's my problem. How does gvim tell Windows to make itself an
          > option in this list?
          [...]

          I'm not sure; I think it's something in the registry. Maybe the install
          program should do it. Have you installed Vim from Steve Hall's self-installer
          https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
          ? If you haven't, try doing it.

          P.S. Please use bottom-posting or inter-posting in the Vim mailing lists.

        • Bill McCarthy
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 12, 2006
            On Tue 12-Dec-06 4:43pm -0600, Jeffrey Robertson wrote:

            > A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

            >> I'm not sure; I think it's something in the registry. Maybe the install
            >> program should do it. Have you installed Vim from Steve Hall's
            >> self-installer
            >> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=
            >> 39721
            >> ? If you haven't, try doing it.

            > I've now done this, and it's improved things but not fixed them.
            >
            > I get the "open with vim" option in my right-click menu, and this
            > launches
            > the file into gvim, so that's good. But if I simply double click, it
            > launches to regular vim. That is, it opens what looks like a shell
            > window and tries to open the file. It gets confused by spaces in the
            > path, so it never actually succeeds in opening the file.
            >
            > If it go to "Open With..." and specify "Vi Improved - A Text Editor",
            > I get the same results. How can I make "Open With" launch to gvim?
            >
            > For those joining the discussion late, I'm using Windows XP.

            Like most of you on Win XP, I build my own Vim and Gvim (for
            Gvim I specify OLE=yes). From Windows Explorer, when I
            click on a .txt file, Gvim comes up for the file.

            I just tried clicking on a .vim file and received a dialog
            (see ONEofTWO.gif) telling me that Windows cannot open the
            file and asking me to search the web or select the program
            from a list. I picked select the program and got a second
            dialog.

            That dialog (see TWOofTWO.gif) let me pick Gvim and check
            the box to use Gvim for all .vim files.

            After performing these two tasks, Windows Explorer now opens
            Gvim whenever I click on a .vim file.

            I created a directory name with spaces and put a file in
            there with spaces in its name and ending with .vim - it
            opened fine from explorer.

            [Without the attached GIFs]

            Bill
          • Jeffrey Robertson
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 13, 2006

              Bill McCarthy wrote:
              > Like most of you on Win XP, I build my own Vim and Gvim (for
              > Gvim I specify OLE=yes). From Windows Explorer, when I
              > click on a .txt file, Gvim comes up for the file.
              >
              > I just tried clicking on a .vim file and received a dialog
              > (see ONEofTWO.gif) telling me that Windows cannot open the
              > file and asking me to search the web or select the program
              > from a list. I picked select the program and got a second
              > dialog.
              >
              > That dialog (see TWOofTWO.gif) let me pick Gvim and check
              > the box to use Gvim for all .vim files.
              >
              > After performing these two tasks, Windows Explorer now opens
              > Gvim whenever I click on a .vim file.
              >
              > I created a directory name with spaces and put a file in
              > there with spaces in its name and ending with .vim - it
              > opened fine from explorer.

              You say it let you pick Gvim. I assume you mean you selected
              "Vi Improved - A Text Editor". I do the same thing, but
              it launches regular vim, not gvim.

              If this is not what you meant, please clarify. If anyone
              can explain my problems, please do so.

              -- Jeff.
            • Bill McCarthy
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 13, 2006
                On Wed 13-Dec-06 9:26am -0600, you wrote:

                > Bill McCarthy wrote:
                >> Like most of you on Win XP, I build my own Vim and Gvim (for
                >> Gvim I specify OLE=yes). From Windows Explorer, when I
                >> click on a .txt file, Gvim comes up for the file.
                >>
                >> I just tried clicking on a .vim file and received a dialog
                >> (see ONEofTWO.gif) telling me that Windows cannot open the
                >> file and asking me to search the web or select the program
                >> from a list. I picked select the program and got a second
                >> dialog.
                >>
                >> That dialog (see TWOofTWO.gif) let me pick Gvim and check
                >> the box to use Gvim for all .vim files.
                >>
                >> After performing these two tasks, Windows Explorer now opens
                >> Gvim whenever I click on a .vim file.
                >>
                >> I created a directory name with spaces and put a file in
                >> there with spaces in its name and ending with .vim - it
                >> opened fine from explorer.

                > You say it let you pick Gvim. I assume you mean you selected
                > "Vi Improved - A Text Editor". I do the same thing, but
                > it launches regular vim, not gvim.

                That's exactly what I mean.

                > If this is not what you meant, please clarify. If anyone
                > can explain my problems, please do so.

                Looking through my registry tree, "Vi Improved - A Text
                Editor" appears exactly 4 times, 2 each as data in:

                foo\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

                Where "foo" is either:

                HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
                HKEY_USERS\S1-1-5-21-.... (long Key)

                The 2 Values are:

                C:\Vim\vim70\gvim.exe (where I execute from)
                C:\vim\vim70\src\gvim.exe (where make puts it)

                Searching my registry tree for any key, value or date
                containing "vim.exe" I only find things containing gvim.exe.

                Yes, I have and use vim.exe, but there are no references to
                it in the registry.

                Bill