Re: suggestions for ssh under windows

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:

      > I have a netrw user using WinXP who wants to use ssh; currently, he
      > doesn't have such an executable.
      > I tend to use cygwin, but that's like asking one to build a home
      > instead of new cabinets for the kitchen.
      >
      > So, where can he get ssh for WinXP?
      >
      > I'm likely to put a synopsis of any answers in netrw's help.

      Hello!

      Thank you for your suggestions -- as I mentioned, I'll be including a
      synopsis in netrw's help. Looks
      like there're four solutions: putty, openssh, gnuwin32, and including a
      couple of files from cygwin
      (although for that last case I'm not sure how one would get just the two
      without downloading the
      entire distribution). It'll be netrw-problem #8 (:help netrw-P8).

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
        > Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
        >
        >> I have a netrw user using WinXP who wants to use ssh; currently, he
        >> doesn't have such an executable.
        >> I tend to use cygwin, but that's like asking one to build a home
        >> instead of new cabinets for the kitchen.
        >>
        >> So, where can he get ssh for WinXP?
        >>
        >> I'm likely to put a synopsis of any answers in netrw's help.
        >

        > Hello!
        >
        > Thank you for your suggestions -- as I mentioned, I'll be including a
        > synopsis in netrw's help. Looks
        > like there're four solutions: putty, openssh, gnuwin32, and including a
        > couple of files from cygwin
        > (although for that last case I'm not sure how one would get just the two
        > without downloading the
        > entire distribution). It'll be netrw-problem #8 (:help netrw-P8).
        >
        > Regards,
        > Chip Campbell

        The Cygwin distribution is made up of a large number of small packages which
        can be downloaded separately. You can opt for the large economy package with
        bells, whistles, and Christmas gift wrapping, or else download one small set
        of basic functions required by all the rest, plus whatever additional software
        packages you want.

        I suggested GnuWin32 on general principles, but I haven't actually checked
        whether it offers an ssh program.