Re: Matching JUST the nth occurence of a text in a line

  • zzapper
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
      "A.J.Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote in
      news:456FE0F9.2080501@...:

      > Bill McCarthy wrote:

      /^.\{-}home.\{-}\zshome/e

      Was the solution I was looking for (BTW the /e indicates where the match
      ends)

      Thanks
      --
      http://successtheory.com/tips/ Vim, Zsh, MySQL Tips
    • Charles E Campbell Jr
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
        Peter Hodge wrote:

        >Try:
        >
        > /^.\{-}home.\{-}\zshome
        >

        >for your reference:
        >
        > \{-} makes the '.' match as little as possible
        > \zs makes the search match begin at this point in the pattern

        To generalize to the n-th occurrence: (put the qty of skipped matches in N)

        /^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}\zshome

        So, for the 2nd home: let N=1.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell
      • mzyzik@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
          All,

          I am puzzled by a slightly more complicated version:
          how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?

          --Matt

          On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 09:09:17AM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
          > Peter Hodge wrote:
          >
          > >Try:
          > >
          > > /^.\{-}home.\{-}\zshome
          > >

          > >for your reference:
          > >
          > > \{-} makes the '.' match as little as possible
          > > \zs makes the search match begin at this point in the pattern
          > >

          > To generalize to the n-th occurrence: (put the qty of skipped matches in N)
          >
          > /^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}\zshome
          >
          > So, for the 2nd home: let N=1.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Chip Campbell

        • Charles E Campbell Jr
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
            mzyzik@... wrote:

            >I am puzzled by a slightly more complicated version:
            > how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?

            /^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}home.\{-}\zs%

            where N is 1 for the "2nd occurrence" (N is 2 for the third occurrence,
            etc).

            This pattern matches up to and including the 2nd home, extends past a
            minimal amount of anything up to but not including a %, whereupon the
            pattern matching starts.

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell
          • mzyzik@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
              On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:34:14AM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
              > mzyzik@... wrote:
              >
              > >I am puzzled by a slightly more complicated version:
              > > how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?
              > >

              > /^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}home.\{-}\zs%

              This pattern doesn't work. Try it on this line:
              "home home home home home home% home"

              It should match nothing on that line, because the '%' doesn't follow the
              2nd occurrence as desired.

              --Matt

              > where N is 1 for the "2nd occurrence" (N is 2 for the third occurrence,
              > etc).
              >
              > This pattern matches up to and including the 2nd home, extends past a
              > minimal amount of anything up to but not including a %, whereupon the
              > pattern matching starts.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Chip Campbell

            • Charles E Campbell Jr
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                mzyzik@... wrote:

                >On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:34:14AM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                >

                >>mzyzik@... wrote:
                >>

                >>>I am puzzled by a slightly more complicated version:
                >>> how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?
                >>>

                >>/^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}home.\{-}\zs%
                >>

                >This pattern doesn't work. Try it on this line:
                >"home home home home home home% home"
                >
                >It should match nothing on that line, because the '%' doesn't follow the
                >2nd occurrence as desired.

                But it *does* work! You didn't specify avoiding the % if matches to the
                home pattern intervened.
                Try
                :set hls
                and the following two lines:

                home % home home home home home% home
                home home %home home home% home

                and you'll only see %s match after the 2nd home, exactly as specified.
                Now, if you change
                the requirement, a different regex is needed.

                Regards,
                Chip Campbell
              • mzyzik@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006

                  I can rephrase:
                  "how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?"
                  "how to match a '%' character directly following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?"

                  I am pretty sure everyone else knew what I meant.

                  --Matt

                  P.S. Does adding "directly" change the meaning for you? And if so, do
                  you know the regular expression I want?

                  > Try
                  > :set hls
                  > and the following two lines:
                  >
                  > home % home home home home home% home
                  > home home %home home home% home
                  >
                  > and you'll only see %s match after the 2nd home, exactly as specified.
                  > Now, if you change
                  > the requirement, a different regex is needed.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Chip Campbell

                • Yakov Lerner
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                    On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
                    > One might think so, but also note:
                    >
                    > :help non-greedy

                    I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
                    from svn. Where do I get more updated helpfiles ?

                    Yakov
                  • Yakov Lerner
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                      > On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
                      > > One might think so, but also note:
                      > >
                      > > :help non-greedy
                      >
                      > I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
                      7.0.164, sorry, not 7.9.164. Still, where do I get more updated
                      helpfiles like yours ?
                      Yakov
                    • A.J.Mechelynck
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                        Yakov Lerner wrote:
                        > On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
                        >> One might think so, but also note:
                        >>
                        >> :help non-greedy
                        >
                        > I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
                        > from svn. Where do I get more updated helpfiles ?
                        >
                        > Yakov

                        By ftp:

                        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/

                        and all its contents except its dos/ subdirectory.

                        By rsync: the following assumes that you compile vim yourself, and that the
                        current directory is the top of your building tree: src/.. if you will. The
                        two additional lines copy (on Unix) the updated files to where you'll be using
                        them (such as /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/).

                        rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="/dos/" ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/ ./runtime/
                        cd src
                        make installruntime

                        Either method updates all your runtime files. In addition, rsync removes
                        outdated files which don't exist anymore in the latest version of the files,
                        and it doesn't touch the files which are already up-to-date.

                      • Bill McCarthy
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                          On Fri 1-Dec-06 7:19pm -0600, Yakov Lerner wrote:
                          > On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:

                          >> One might think so, but also note:
                          >>
                          >> :help non-greedy

                          > I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
                          > from svn. Where do I get more updated helpfiles ?

                          I see Tony already provided the an approach for unix. To
                          update your directories on Windows (using 4nt):

                          copy /[!*~]/u/s "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/dos" c:\vim\vim70

                          adjusting the target as appropriate. This copies only files
                          that are newer or didn't exist on the target. It skips
                          files ending with a tilde.

                          And if any help files were updated:

                          vim -nes "+helpt c:\vim\vim70\doc|q"

                          Bill