Re: Matching JUST the nth occurence of a text in a line

  • Bill McCarthy
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 30, 2006
      On Thu 30-Nov-06 9:20pm -0600, Peter Hodge wrote:

      > Try:
      >
      > /^.\{-}home.\{-}\zshome
      >

      > for your reference:
      >
      > \{-} makes the '.' match as little as possible
      > \zs makes the search match begin at this point in the pattern

      One might think so, but also note:

      :help non-greedy

      In particular, ready the sentence starting with "BUT". All
      that is needed is:

      /home.\{-}\zshome

      Earliest is preferred to shortest.

      Bill
    • Chuck Mason
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 30, 2006
        Am I the only one amused that /home<CR>n does nearly the same thing?
        I mean, I suppose you could be doing operations on your search but
        couldn't you equally just "ayw and do stuff there? Besides \{-}\zs
        takes too long to type :)

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 30, 2006
          Bill McCarthy wrote:
          > On Thu 30-Nov-06 11:49pm -0600, Peter Hodge wrote:
          >> --- Bill McCarthy wrote:

          >>> Given the use of the "shortest match first algorithm" I
          >>> don't see how that's possible. Please give an example.
          >
          >> '/home.\{-}\zshome' will match every 2nd home in the
          >> following text:
          >>
          >> home home home home
          >> home home home home home home home home
          >> home home home home home
          >
          > Yes, I know it works. You stated that it was "safer to
          > anchor the pattern to the start of the line." I was asking
          > for a example of a failure of '/home.\{-}\zshome' that would
          > require such an anchor.

          He gave it. In the above case, you highlight not only the 2nd occurrence but
          also the 4th, 6th, etc.

        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
            Chuck Mason wrote:
            > Am I the only one amused that /home<CR>n does nearly the same thing?
            > I mean, I suppose you could be doing operations on your search but
            > couldn't you equally just "ayw and do stuff there? Besides \{-}\zs
            > takes too long to type :)

            To go to the 2nd occurrence from the cursor, you can use

            2/home

            (or 2/\<home\> if you want to exclude "homeless" etc.) but all occurrences
            will be highlighted.

          • zzapper
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
              "A.J.Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote in

              > Bill McCarthy wrote:

              /^.\{-}home.\{-}\zshome/e

              Was the solution I was looking for (BTW the /e indicates where the match
              ends)

              Thanks
              --
              http://successtheory.com/tips/ Vim, Zsh, MySQL Tips
            • Charles E Campbell Jr
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                Peter Hodge wrote:

                >Try:
                >
                > /^.\{-}home.\{-}\zshome
                >

                >for your reference:
                >
                > \{-} makes the '.' match as little as possible
                > \zs makes the search match begin at this point in the pattern

                To generalize to the n-th occurrence: (put the qty of skipped matches in N)

                /^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}\zshome

                So, for the 2nd home: let N=1.

                Regards,
                Chip Campbell
              • mzyzik@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                  All,

                  I am puzzled by a slightly more complicated version:
                  how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?

                  --Matt

                  On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 09:09:17AM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                  > Peter Hodge wrote:
                  >
                  > >Try:
                  > >
                  > > /^.\{-}home.\{-}\zshome
                  > >

                  > >for your reference:
                  > >
                  > > \{-} makes the '.' match as little as possible
                  > > \zs makes the search match begin at this point in the pattern
                  > >

                  > To generalize to the n-th occurrence: (put the qty of skipped matches in N)
                  >
                  > /^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}\zshome
                  >
                  > So, for the 2nd home: let N=1.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Chip Campbell

                • Charles E Campbell Jr
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                    mzyzik@... wrote:

                    >I am puzzled by a slightly more complicated version:
                    > how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?

                    /^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}home.\{-}\zs%

                    where N is 1 for the "2nd occurrence" (N is 2 for the third occurrence,
                    etc).

                    This pattern matches up to and including the 2nd home, extends past a
                    minimal amount of anything up to but not including a %, whereupon the
                    pattern matching starts.

                    Regards,
                    Chip Campbell
                  • mzyzik@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                      On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:34:14AM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                      > mzyzik@... wrote:
                      >
                      > >I am puzzled by a slightly more complicated version:
                      > > how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?
                      > >

                      > /^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}home.\{-}\zs%

                      This pattern doesn't work. Try it on this line:
                      "home home home home home home% home"

                      It should match nothing on that line, because the '%' doesn't follow the
                      2nd occurrence as desired.

                      --Matt

                      > where N is 1 for the "2nd occurrence" (N is 2 for the third occurrence,
                      > etc).
                      >
                      > This pattern matches up to and including the 2nd home, extends past a
                      > minimal amount of anything up to but not including a %, whereupon the
                      > pattern matching starts.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Chip Campbell

                    • Charles E Campbell Jr
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                        mzyzik@... wrote:

                        >On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 10:34:14AM -0500, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                        >

                        >>mzyzik@... wrote:
                        >>

                        >>>I am puzzled by a slightly more complicated version:
                        >>> how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?
                        >>>

                        >>/^.\{-}\%(home.\{-1,}\)\{N}home.\{-}\zs%
                        >>

                        >This pattern doesn't work. Try it on this line:
                        >"home home home home home home% home"
                        >
                        >It should match nothing on that line, because the '%' doesn't follow the
                        >2nd occurrence as desired.

                        But it *does* work! You didn't specify avoiding the % if matches to the
                        home pattern intervened.
                        Try
                        :set hls
                        and the following two lines:

                        home % home home home home home% home
                        home home %home home home% home

                        and you'll only see %s match after the 2nd home, exactly as specified.
                        Now, if you change
                        the requirement, a different regex is needed.

                        Regards,
                        Chip Campbell
                      • mzyzik@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006

                          I can rephrase:
                          "how to match a '%' character following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?"
                          "how to match a '%' character directly following the 2nd occurrence of "home"?"

                          I am pretty sure everyone else knew what I meant.

                          --Matt

                          P.S. Does adding "directly" change the meaning for you? And if so, do
                          you know the regular expression I want?

                          > Try
                          > :set hls
                          > and the following two lines:
                          >
                          > home % home home home home home% home
                          > home home %home home home% home
                          >
                          > and you'll only see %s match after the 2nd home, exactly as specified.
                          > Now, if you change
                          > the requirement, a different regex is needed.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Chip Campbell

                        • Yakov Lerner
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                            On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
                            > One might think so, but also note:
                            >
                            > :help non-greedy

                            I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
                            from svn. Where do I get more updated helpfiles ?

                            Yakov
                          • Yakov Lerner
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                              > On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
                              > > One might think so, but also note:
                              > >
                              > > :help non-greedy
                              >
                              > I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
                              7.0.164, sorry, not 7.9.164. Still, where do I get more updated
                              helpfiles like yours ?
                              Yakov
                            • A.J.Mechelynck
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                                Yakov Lerner wrote:
                                > On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
                                >> One might think so, but also note:
                                >>
                                >> :help non-greedy
                                >
                                > I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
                                > from svn. Where do I get more updated helpfiles ?
                                >
                                > Yakov

                                By ftp:

                                ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/

                                and all its contents except its dos/ subdirectory.

                                By rsync: the following assumes that you compile vim yourself, and that the
                                current directory is the top of your building tree: src/.. if you will. The
                                two additional lines copy (on Unix) the updated files to where you'll be using
                                them (such as /usr/local/share/vim/vim70/).

                                rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="/dos/" ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/ ./runtime/
                                cd src
                                make installruntime

                                Either method updates all your runtime files. In addition, rsync removes
                                outdated files which don't exist anymore in the latest version of the files,
                                and it doesn't touch the files which are already up-to-date.

                              • Bill McCarthy
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 1, 2006
                                  On Fri 1-Dec-06 7:19pm -0600, Yakov Lerner wrote:
                                  > On 12/1/06, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:

                                  >> One might think so, but also note:
                                  >>
                                  >> :help non-greedy

                                  > I don't have tag 'non-greedy' in the help. I have vim 7.9.164
                                  > from svn. Where do I get more updated helpfiles ?

                                  I see Tony already provided the an approach for unix. To
                                  update your directories on Windows (using 4nt):

                                  copy /[!*~]/u/s "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/dos" c:\vim\vim70

                                  adjusting the target as appropriate. This copies only files
                                  that are newer or didn't exist on the target. It skips
                                  files ending with a tilde.

                                  And if any help files were updated:

                                  vim -nes "+helpt c:\vim\vim70\doc|q"

                                  Bill