suggestions for ssh under windows

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hello!

      I have a netrw user using WinXP who wants to use ssh; currently, he
      doesn't have such an executable.
      I tend to use cygwin, but that's like asking one to build a home instead
      of new cabinets for the kitchen.

      So, where can he get ssh for WinXP?

      I'm likely to put a synopsis of any answers in netrw's help.

      Thank you,
      Chip Campbell
    • Vissale NEANG
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006

        Maybe he can try OpenSSH for windows from here :

        http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

        It doesn't need the full Cygwin package.

        Best regards,

        Vissale

        2006/11/30, Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...>:
        > Hello!
        >
        > I have a netrw user using WinXP who wants to use ssh; currently, he
        > doesn't have such an executable.
        > I tend to use cygwin, but that's like asking one to build a home instead
        > of new cabinets for the kitchen.
        >
        > So, where can he get ssh for WinXP?
        >
        > I'm likely to put a synopsis of any answers in netrw's help.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Chip Campbell

      • Marlin Unruh
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
          Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
          > Hello!
          >
          > I have a netrw user using WinXP who wants to use ssh; currently, he
          > doesn't have such an executable.
          > I tend to use cygwin, but that's like asking one to build a home instead
          > of new cabinets for the kitchen.
          >
          > So, where can he get ssh for WinXP?
          >
          > I'm likely to put a synopsis of any answers in netrw's help.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Chip Campbell

          Here is a program I use and it works fine. It's just a single exe.

          http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

          --
          Marlin Unruh
        • Brian McKee
          • A.J.Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
              panshizhu@... wrote:
              > "A.J.Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...> 写于 2006-12-01 04:58:02:
              >> For individual Unix-like programs needed for work in a native-Windows
              >> environment, I recommend getting them from the GnuWin32 project on
              >> sourceforge
              >> if it has them ( http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/ or something like that;
              > not
              >> 100% sure of the URL). Unlike Cygwin, which sets up a Unix-like virtual
              >> machine on top of Windows, GnuWin32 is a rewrite of Unix utilities with
              >> Windows system calls, and its programs works quite well in the cmd.
              >> exe "Dos box".
              >>
              >> I have also occasionally tested unxutils but not with as much success.
              >
              > A virtual machine emulates things so that the performance degrades. If
              > Cygwin is really an emulation engine to build a virtual machine, it will
              > have poor performance. But that is not the case. Compile the same source
              > within Cygwin and Visual C++, chances are that you will get better
              > performance in Cygwin!
              >
              > Cygwin is not setting up a unix-like virtual machine, instead, it redirect
              > Unix system call to Windows system call at source level, so the performance
              > is as good as Windows Native applications.
              >
              > An example: I had compiled 3 versions of LAME 3.97, on Cygwin, Visual C++ 7
              > and Ubuntu Linux, and had done a thorough test, the Cygwin version of the
              > lame.exe has the best performance. it is even faster than the same
              > application compiled under linux in the same computer with the same version
              > of gcc.
              >
              > --
              > Sincerely, Pan, Shi Zhu. ext: 2606

              I'm not talking about the programs produced by the MinGW-for-Cygwin compiler
              and linker (gcc compiler with -mno-cygwin and gcc linker with -mwindows),
              which is a cross-compiler and cross-linker, but about the cygwin1.dll and the
              programs which use it. These programs are doing Unix system calls, which the
              cygwin1.dll translates into Windows system calls. The programs you talk about
              (including Steve Hall's Vim for Windows) are doing Windows system calls at the
              C-object-library level, even though they were compiled by a compiler and
              linker issuing Unix system calls to the cygwin1.dll.

              With Windows plus cygwin1.dll you have a "virtual Unix kernel" emulated by the
              DLL running on top of Windows. I stand my case.

            • Charles E Campbell Jr
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
                Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:

                > I have a netrw user using WinXP who wants to use ssh; currently, he
                > doesn't have such an executable.
                > I tend to use cygwin, but that's like asking one to build a home
                > instead of new cabinets for the kitchen.
                >
                > So, where can he get ssh for WinXP?
                >
                > I'm likely to put a synopsis of any answers in netrw's help.

                Hello!

                Thank you for your suggestions -- as I mentioned, I'll be including a
                synopsis in netrw's help. Looks
                like there're four solutions: putty, openssh, gnuwin32, and including a
                couple of files from cygwin
                (although for that last case I'm not sure how one would get just the two
                without downloading the
                entire distribution). It'll be netrw-problem #8 (:help netrw-P8).

                Regards,
                Chip Campbell
              • A.J.Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                  > Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                  >
                  >> I have a netrw user using WinXP who wants to use ssh; currently, he
                  >> doesn't have such an executable.
                  >> I tend to use cygwin, but that's like asking one to build a home
                  >> instead of new cabinets for the kitchen.
                  >>
                  >> So, where can he get ssh for WinXP?
                  >>
                  >> I'm likely to put a synopsis of any answers in netrw's help.
                  >

                  > Hello!
                  >
                  > Thank you for your suggestions -- as I mentioned, I'll be including a
                  > synopsis in netrw's help. Looks
                  > like there're four solutions: putty, openssh, gnuwin32, and including a
                  > couple of files from cygwin
                  > (although for that last case I'm not sure how one would get just the two
                  > without downloading the
                  > entire distribution). It'll be netrw-problem #8 (:help netrw-P8).
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Chip Campbell

                  The Cygwin distribution is made up of a large number of small packages which
                  can be downloaded separately. You can opt for the large economy package with
                  bells, whistles, and Christmas gift wrapping, or else download one small set
                  of basic functions required by all the rest, plus whatever additional software
                  packages you want.

                  I suggested GnuWin32 on general principles, but I haven't actually checked
                  whether it offers an ssh program.