Re: how to make 7.0 behave like 6.4

  • longraider
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
      Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:

      >> The set autoindent smartindent is the solution, thanks a lot.
      >>
      > You know, vim 7.0 hasn't changed the autoindent/smartindent area (except
      > possibly for bug fixes)
      > from v6.4 insofar as I am aware. And I do use autoindent (and cindent).
      >
      > So the question in my mind is: why did this change for you when you
      > upgraded? One way that
      > may have occurred is if you edited the system files and put settings and
      > customizations in there.
      > If that's what you in fact did, then I suggest that its Much Better (tm)
      > to use $HOME/.vimrc and
      > $HOME/.vim/ instead for such things. You won't lose your customizations
      > that way when you
      > upgrade.

      I've started to customize vim after I've installed the 7.0 version, the
      6.4 was used by me as a plain text editor, with default settings.
      AFAIR I've written the "set cindent" someday in the vim, and that worked
      for me, so I suppose that old vim has put the config somewhere, and that
      config was erased when I installed 7. I use gentoo, so it couldn't be
      /etc (the /etc in gentoo is protected), and I don't think that new
      install (or uninstall) could mess with my $HOME.
      But now I get to know vim better, and all of course goes to the $HOME/.vimrc

      --
      mati