Re: active links for opening files

  • Michael M. Tung
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      Yakov Lerner [iler.ml@...] wrote:
      > On 10/30/06, Michael M. Tung <michael.m.tung@...> wrote:
      > >Hi all:
      > >
      > >I am working on a simple plugin and want to make vim
      > >open a file which appears in text e.g. as
      > >
      > > [/tmp/test.txt]
      > >
      > >by clicking on it. The path and filename always appears
      > >in brackets.
      >
      > You can do this by mapping <MouseDown> and <MouseUp>
      > pseudo-keys:
      >
      > nmap <MouseDown> .....
      > nmap <MouseUp> ......
      >
      > Yakov

      Thanks for all the helpful replies! I am using the
      following hack in the ftplugin based on Yakov's
      suggestion:

      " define function to open gtd file
      function! OpenGTDFile()
      let line = getline('.')
      let line = matchstr(line, "\[.*$")
      let line = substitute(line, "gtd\]", "gtd", "")
      let line = substitute(line, "\ *\[", "", "")
      exec ":e ".line
      endfunction

      " bind open function to mouse event
      nmap <2-LeftMouse> :call OpenGTDFile()<CR>

      I just discovered that this function propagates to
      all other files which are opened afterwards (regardless
      of filetype).

      Is there any way to keep OpenGTDFile local, i.e.
      only to the specified filetype (in this case gtd)?

      I appreciate any help.
      Best,
      Mike

      Dr. Michael M. Tung Email: mtung@...
      Departamento de Matemática Aplicada michael.tung@...
      Universidad Politécnica de Valencia Phone: +34 96 3877000 x88287
      Inst. de Matemática Multidisciplinar +34 96 38-79777
      Edificio 8-G, 2º piso IM: ICQ96423950
      Camino de Vera, s/n
      46022 Valencia (Spain)
      PGP Public Key http://personales.upv.es/mictun/mtung_pubkey.pgp
    • Yegappan Lakshmanan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        Hello,

        On 11/1/06, Michael M. Tung <michael.m.tung@...> wrote:

        > Yakov Lerner [iler.ml@...] wrote:
        > > On 10/30/06, Michael M. Tung <michael.m.tung@...> wrote:
        > > >Hi all:
        > > >
        > > >I am working on a simple plugin and want to make vim
        > > >open a file which appears in text e.g. as
        > > >
        > > > [/tmp/test.txt]
        > > >
        > > >by clicking on it. The path and filename always appears
        > > >in brackets.
        > >
        > > You can do this by mapping <MouseDown> and <MouseUp>
        > > pseudo-keys:
        > >
        > > nmap <MouseDown> .....
        > > nmap <MouseUp> ......
        > >
        > > Yakov
        >
        > Thanks for all the helpful replies! I am using the
        > following hack in the ftplugin based on Yakov's
        > suggestion:
        >
        > " define function to open gtd file
        > function! OpenGTDFile()

        You can use the "s:' prefix to make this function local to the
        filetype plugin file.

        > let line = getline('.')
        > let line = matchstr(line, "\[.*$")
        > let line = substitute(line, "gtd\]", "gtd", "")
        > let line = substitute(line, "\ *\[", "", "")
        > exec ":e ".line
        > endfunction
        >
        > " bind open function to mouse event
        > nmap <2-LeftMouse> :call OpenGTDFile()<CR>

        You can use the <buffer> attribute to the map command to
        make this map local to a specific buffer. If you make the
        function a script-local function, then you have to use the
        <SID> prefix for calling the function.

        - Yegappan

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2006
          Hi Samuel:

          Thanks for the link to GtdWithVim! Actually I saw it
          on the vim script site just after writing my hack.

          I didn't have a chance yet to try it out, but as far
          as I understand from the script description it's
          philosophy is quite different.

          GtdWithVim seems to work independently from any
          external program. With vimGTD I just wanted to quickly
          write a frontend to PyGTD. So all the power is in there...

          I use vimGTD in mutt and it works well. The UTL plugin
          sounds great stuff. Maybe it also resolves some of my
          other problems with various links in email which I want
          to combine with external launchers.

          If you want to get in touch with me about some more
          thoughts, just write me directly to mtung@....

          Best,
          Mike

          Samuel Wright [lykoszine@...] wrote:
          > Hi Michal,
          >
          > I notice you are working on a GTD plugin. Have you tried the existing
          > plugin?
          > http://www.bartholomew.id.au/projects/Project.aspx?ProjectCode=GtdWithVim
          >
          > The other thing of interest (perhaps) is vim outliner
          >
          > I started playing around with that a few days ago.
          >
          > Mor sepcifically regarding your questions, the UTL plugin lets you
          > open plain text 'links' including emails, and other files.
          >
          > I'd be interested to swap thoughts on where you are going with GTD on vim.

          Dr. Michael M. Tung Email: mtung@...
          Departamento de Matemática Aplicada michael.tung@...
          Universidad Politécnica de Valencia Phone: +34 96 3877000 x88287
          Inst. de Matemática Multidisciplinar +34 96 38-79777
          Edificio 8-G, 2º piso IM: ICQ96423950
          Camino de Vera, s/n
          46022 Valencia (Spain) http://www.uv.es/~tung/
          PGP Public Key http://personales.upv.es/mictun/mtung_pubkey.pgp
        • Stefan Bittner
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2006
            Hi Michal,

            On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 11:49:19PM +0100, Michael M. Tung wrote:
            > > Hi Samuel:
            > >
            > > Thanks for the link to GtdWithVim! Actually I saw it
            > > on the vim script site just after writing my hack.
            > >
            > > I didn't have a chance yet to try it out, but as far
            > > as I understand from the script description it's
            > > philosophy is quite different.
            > >
            > > GtdWithVim seems to work independently from any
            > > external program. With vimGTD I just wanted to quickly
            > > write a frontend to PyGTD. So all the power is in there...
            > >
            > > I use vimGTD in mutt and it works well. The UTL plugin
            > > sounds great stuff. Maybe it also resolves some of my
            > > other problems with various links in email which I want
            > > to combine with external launchers.

            The upcoming version utl.vim V2.1 will support preliminary
            support to reference emails via a new mail: URL like

            <URL:mail:///Inbox?07.11.2006 18:38>

            This would open the email which you received on the
            specific date. Other example:

            <URL:mail:///Sent Items?07.11.2006 18:40> .

            Currently I only have an implementation for MS-Outlook
            (which is implemented using OLE Automation via Visual
            Basic Script). It seems you are using the mutt mailer
            though. Anyway, I would be interested to know what
            you mean with "other problems with various links in
            emails..."; perhaps we can dicuss some requirements.
            An implementation for mutt mailer / mbox format should
            not be to difficult then.

            Regards,
            Stefan