Re: Arrow keys in combination with Fx key

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2006
      Eric Leenman wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I was wondering if you can combine arrow keys with Fx keys.
      > For example, can a mapping like <CTRL><left> be replaced with <F2><left>
      >
      > The idea is to move mappings which use CTRL and ALT to Fx keys and
      > SHIFT-Fx keys.
      > This because CTRL and ALT are window-manager-dependend on Linux-distro's
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Eric

      :map <F2><Left> <C-Left>
      :map! <F2><Left> <C-Left>

      Note that, unlike with the Ctrl, Shift and Alt keys, the sequence <press F2>

    • Eric Leenman
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
        Hi Tony,

        [snip]
        > :map <F2><Left> <C-Left>
        > :map! <F2><Left> <C-Left>
        >
        >Note that, unlike with the Ctrl, Shift and Alt keys, the sequence <press

        [snip]

        Does this mean that I can't use a mapping for F2 only?
        And why is their a ! behind the map in the second line?

        Best Regards,
        Eric

        Microsoft Office Live
      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
          Eric Leenman wrote:
          > Hi Tony,
          >
          > [snip]
          >> :map <F2><Left> <C-Left>
          >> :map! <F2><Left> <C-Left>
          >>
          >> Note that, unlike with the Ctrl, Shift and Alt keys, the sequence
          >> the mapping.

          Also, <press F2> <Left> <Left> <release F2> is equivalent to <C-Left> <Left>,
          not to <C-Left> <C-Left> (the keyboard generates a "release key" event for F2
          but the keyboard driver ignores it).

          > [snip]
          >
          > Does this mean that I can't use a mapping for F2 only?
          > And why is their a ! behind the map in the second line?
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Eric

          1. If you have a mapping for <F2> and another for <F2><Left>, the former won't
          be recognised until you hit a key (other than <Left>) following the F2 key, or
          until you wait longer that 'timeoutlen' milliseconds (if 'timeout' is on). It
          might be possible to program a single mapping for <F2> invoking the getchar()
          function, but IMHO the game is not worth the candle -- mapping the various F2
          + something combinations is easier to understand and therefore less error-prone.

          See
          :help map-ambiguous
          :help 'timeout'
          :help 'timeoutlen'

          2. ":map" without an exclamation mark applies to Normal and Visual modes. With
          an exclamation mark it applies to Insert/Replace and Command-line modes.

          See
          :help map-commands
          :help map-overview