Re: long line display in gvimdiff

  • Dmitriy Yamkovoy
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      > It should apply on
      > a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
      > window.

      Or if you're feeling lazy,

      :windo set wrap
      :windo set nowrap

      These enable or disable wrapping for all windows in the current tab.

      -Dmitriy
    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        >> It should apply on
        >> a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
        >> window.
        >
        > Or if you're feeling lazy,
        >
        > :windo set wrap
        > :windo set nowrap

        If you only have the two diff windows open, this is about as
        efficient as "control+W control+W at colon" to change windows and
        re-execute the last-issued commandline. Also, less finger
        dancing and a bit more readable.

        However, if you have multiple windows open, and only a subset of
        them are "diff" windows, the "windo" solution may effect windows
        that you don't want it to.

        But yes, this is helpful for easily changing a settings in all
        the open windows.

        -tim
      • Dmitriy Yamkovoy
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
          I didn't know about @:, thanks!

          -Dmitriy

          On 11/1/06, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
          > >> It should apply on
          > >> a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
          > >> window.
          > >
          > > Or if you're feeling lazy,
          > >
          > > :windo set wrap
          > > :windo set nowrap
          >

          > If you only have the two diff windows open, this is about as
          > efficient as "control+W control+W at colon" to change windows and
          > re-execute the last-issued commandline. Also, less finger
          > dancing and a bit more readable.
          >
          > However, if you have multiple windows open, and only a subset of
          > them are "diff" windows, the "windo" solution may effect windows
          > that you don't want it to.
          >
          > But yes, this is helpful for easily changing a settings in all
          > the open windows.
          >
          > -tim

        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
            > I didn't know about @:, thanks!

            It's a very handy thing, though in earlier versions of vim if you
            had a literal control+M in the last command-line (as entered with
            a control+V followed by control+M), it would truncate the
            command-line at that point rather than re-issue that last
            command-line. Other control-characters also caused similar problems.

            There was also a second bug regarding commands that operate over
            a range. If you visually select a new range and use @: it would
            make the resulting command

            :'<,'>'<,'>command

            which would choke vim.

            There are workarounds for these older versions (if you need 'em,
            let me know and I'll elaborate).

            However, since they have been fixed (I'm not sure whether it was
            in a late v6.x or only v7), it's an even more regular staple of
            my vim usage. However, it's just something to watch for if you
            use older versions of vim (such as what I have on some of my
            hosting providers that I can't easily upgrade myself).

            -tim
          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
              On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 09:03:54AM -0500, Dmitriy Yamkovoy wrote:
              > >It should apply on
              > >a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
              > >window.
              > >

              > Or if you're feeling lazy,
              >
              > :windo set wrap
              > :windo set nowrap
              >
              > These enable or disable wrapping for all windows in the current tab.

              As long as we are considering easy/efficient/lazy ways to do it, I
              prefer

              :windo set wrap!

              to toggle the setting of 'wrap'. Then I can use @: to change it back.
              Of course, the same thing works one window at a time without the :windo
              modifier.

              As for the problem of affecting non-diff windows, I suggest the
              following command:

              " Diffdo <command> applies :command in all windows where 'diff' is set.
              :command! -nargs=+ -complete=command Diffdo
              \ windo if &diff <Bar> execute <q-args> <Bar> endif

              HTH --Benji Fisher