Re: --remote diff to tab

  • A. S. Budden
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      On 01/11/06, Hugo Ahlenius <fraxinus@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am trying to set up my subversion client(s) so that I can get any diffs
      > open in a proper diff mode, in an existing gvim session, in a new tab...
      >
      > Any tips for that? Do you I have to construct a more complicated
      > command-line for that -- I just tried:
      >
      > --remote-tab -d %1 %2
      >
      > but that opened each file in a separate tab...
      >
      > Any tips? This is gvim 7 on win xp, btw

      I don't know how to do exactly what you ask, but have you seen vcscommand.vim?

      It has a VCSVimDiff command that will use the svn client to get a diff
      and then show the result as a vimdiff.

      Hope that helps,

      Al
    • Hugo Ahlenius
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
        | I don't know how to do exactly what you ask, but have you seen
        | vcscommand.vim?
        |
        | http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=90
        |
        | It has a VCSVimDiff command that will use the svn client to get a diff
        | and then show the result as a vimdiff.

        Hi Al, I have that, and that is what I would use from within vim - but there
        are times when I would like to have things open from external tools, like my
        svn browser (or my cvs manager). There are other cases as well.

        Thanks anyways, I am sure someone else would have use for that tip.

        /H.
      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
          On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 02:15:53PM +0100, Hugo Ahlenius wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I am trying to set up my subversion client(s) so that I can get any diffs
          > open in a proper diff mode, in an existing gvim session, in a new tab...
          >
          > Any tips for that? Do you I have to construct a more complicated
          > command-line for that -- I just tried:
          >
          > --remote-tab -d %1 %2
          >
          > but that opened each file in a separate tab...

          Did you try (untested by me)

          --remote-tab +"diffsplit %2" %1

          (Will the %2 need any special escaping inside the quotes? What if %2
          has spaces in the file name (ugh)?)

          On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 09:20:42AM +0100, Hugo Ahlenius wrote:
          > | I don't know how to do exactly what you ask, but have you seen
          > | vcscommand.vim?
          > |
          > | http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=90
          > |
          > | It has a VCSVimDiff command that will use the svn client to get a diff
          > | and then show the result as a vimdiff.
          >
          > Hi Al, I have that, and that is what I would use from within vim - but there
          > are times when I would like to have things open from external tools, like my
          > svn browser (or my cvs manager). There are other cases as well.

          Have you tried something like

          --remote-tab +VCSVimDiff %1

          yet? I do not use this, so I have no idea what the syntax of the
          :VCSVimDiff command is.

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Hugo Ahlenius
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2006
            |> I am trying to set up my subversion client(s) so that I can get any
            |> diffs open in a proper diff mode, in an existing gvim
            |session, in a new tab...
            |
            | Did you try (untested by me)

            |--remote-tab +"diffsplit %2" %1

            |(Will the %2 need any special escaping inside the quotes?
            |What if %2 has spaces in the file name (ugh)?)

            Thanks Benji, that is on the right track. Maybe I have to call a script that
            does what I want to do. This works, but as you mentioned, it has a problem
            with paths/files that has spaces in them. I try to avoid that, but it is
            known to happen now and then...

            /Hugo
          • Hugo Ahlenius
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 16, 2006
              | |> I am trying to set up my subversion client(s) so that I
              | can get any
              | |> diffs open in a proper diff mode, in an existing gvim
              | |session, in a new tab...
              | |
              | | Did you try (untested by me)
              | |
              | |--remote-tab +"diffsplit %2" %1
              | |
              | |(Will the %2 need any special escaping inside the quotes?
              | |What if %2 has spaces in the file name (ugh)?)

              For the record, thanks to Benji Fisher, who got me on the right track. I was
              able to set up a gvimdiff.bat file that gets called with two (possibly
              quoted) files as arguments, and then it executes this:

              gvim.exe --remote-tab +"diffsplit %~2" "%~1"

              Seems to work fine with spaces in the filenames. The tilde in the argument
              specification is a Windows NT command extensions thing, that works on WinNT,
              Win2k + XP (And I assume Vista) - it un-quotes the file arguments.

              Thanks all!

              /Hugo