long line display in gvimdiff

  • Peng Yu
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006

      It seems that longs line shown in gvimdiff would be broken. I have to
      move the cursor to the end of the long to read it. I'm wondering how
      to break lines like the norm gvim does.

      Thanks,
      Peng
    • Peng Yu
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        On 11/1/06, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > It seems that longs line shown in gvimdiff would be broken. I have to
        > move the cursor to the end of the long to read it. I'm wondering how
        > to break lines like the norm gvim does.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Peng

        Hi

        I actually mean how to wrap around long lines in gvimdiff.

        Thanks,
        Peng
      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
          > I actually mean how to wrap around long lines in gvimdiff.

          I would suggest

          :set wrap
          or
          :set nowrap

          as they seem to work fine for me in diffmode. It should apply on
          a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
          window.

          -tim
        • Dmitriy Yamkovoy
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
            > It should apply on
            > a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
            > window.

            Or if you're feeling lazy,

            :windo set wrap
            :windo set nowrap

            These enable or disable wrapping for all windows in the current tab.

            -Dmitriy
          • Tim Chase
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
              >> It should apply on
              >> a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
              >> window.
              >
              > Or if you're feeling lazy,
              >
              > :windo set wrap
              > :windo set nowrap

              If you only have the two diff windows open, this is about as
              efficient as "control+W control+W at colon" to change windows and
              re-execute the last-issued commandline. Also, less finger
              dancing and a bit more readable.

              However, if you have multiple windows open, and only a subset of
              them are "diff" windows, the "windo" solution may effect windows
              that you don't want it to.

              But yes, this is helpful for easily changing a settings in all
              the open windows.

              -tim
            • Dmitriy Yamkovoy
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
                I didn't know about @:, thanks!

                -Dmitriy

                On 11/1/06, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
                > >> It should apply on
                > >> a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
                > >> window.
                > >
                > > Or if you're feeling lazy,
                > >
                > > :windo set wrap
                > > :windo set nowrap
                >

                > If you only have the two diff windows open, this is about as
                > efficient as "control+W control+W at colon" to change windows and
                > re-execute the last-issued commandline. Also, less finger
                > dancing and a bit more readable.
                >
                > However, if you have multiple windows open, and only a subset of
                > them are "diff" windows, the "windo" solution may effect windows
                > that you don't want it to.
                >
                > But yes, this is helpful for easily changing a settings in all
                > the open windows.
                >
                > -tim

              • Tim Chase
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
                  > I didn't know about @:, thanks!

                  It's a very handy thing, though in earlier versions of vim if you
                  had a literal control+M in the last command-line (as entered with
                  a control+V followed by control+M), it would truncate the
                  command-line at that point rather than re-issue that last
                  command-line. Other control-characters also caused similar problems.

                  There was also a second bug regarding commands that operate over
                  a range. If you visually select a new range and use @: it would
                  make the resulting command

                  :'<,'>'<,'>command

                  which would choke vim.

                  There are workarounds for these older versions (if you need 'em,
                  let me know and I'll elaborate).

                  However, since they have been fixed (I'm not sure whether it was
                  in a late v6.x or only v7), it's an even more regular staple of
                  my vim usage. However, it's just something to watch for if you
                  use older versions of vim (such as what I have on some of my
                  hosting providers that I can't easily upgrade myself).

                  -tim
                • Benji Fisher
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                    On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 09:03:54AM -0500, Dmitriy Yamkovoy wrote:
                    > >It should apply on
                    > >a per-window basis, so you may have to execute it in each diff
                    > >window.
                    > >

                    > Or if you're feeling lazy,
                    >
                    > :windo set wrap
                    > :windo set nowrap
                    >
                    > These enable or disable wrapping for all windows in the current tab.

                    As long as we are considering easy/efficient/lazy ways to do it, I
                    prefer

                    :windo set wrap!

                    to toggle the setting of 'wrap'. Then I can use @: to change it back.
                    Of course, the same thing works one window at a time without the :windo
                    modifier.

                    As for the problem of affecting non-diff windows, I suggest the
                    following command:

                    " Diffdo <command> applies :command in all windows where 'diff' is set.
                    :command! -nargs=+ -complete=command Diffdo
                    \ windo if &diff <Bar> execute <q-args> <Bar> endif

                    HTH --Benji Fisher