Re: Gvim closing unexpectedly

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
      [cross-posting to connect threads]

      On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 10:04 +1000, Robbie Gates wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > i was having problems with gvim hanging when i tried to edit my
      > vimrc.
      >
      > After a bit of sleuthing, i tracked it down to has("tcl") hanging
      > (called from syntax/vim.vim).

      It appears your post and one on the vim list are related:

      I'm not on a Windows box tonight to track this down, can anyone help
      us figure out if this is in the binary or runtime?

      1. Verify syntax/vim.vim is not corrupt

      2. Test the binary:

      :echo has("tcl")

      Greg, do you have Cygwin installed?

      Interesting that this just cropped up twice in two hours, these
      packages have been downloaded nearly 300 times over 8 days.

    • Greg Dunn
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
        On 10/4/06, Steve Hall <digitect@...> wrote:

        > [cross-posting to connect threads]
        >
        > On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 10:04 +1000, Robbie Gates wrote:
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > i was having problems with gvim hanging when i tried to edit my
        > > vimrc.
        > >
        > > After a bit of sleuthing, i tracked it down to has("tcl") hanging
        > > (called from syntax/vim.vim).
        >
        > It appears your post and one on the vim list are related:

        > I'm not on a Windows box tonight to track this down, can anyone help
        > us figure out if this is in the binary or runtime?
        >
        > 1. Verify syntax/vim.vim is not corrupt
        >
        > 2. Test the binary:
        >
        > :echo has("tcl")
        >
        > Greg, do you have Cygwin installed?
        >
        > Interesting that this just cropped up twice in two hours, these
        > packages have been downloaded nearly 300 times over 8 days.

        Yep, I have cygwin, and yep, the dummy tcl84.dll fixed the problem.
        One difference I have from the dev thread is that my gvim doesn't
        hang, it just closes.

        -- Greg
      • Steve Hall
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
          From: "Greg Dunn", Thu, October 05, 2006 9:36 am
          > On 10/4/06, Steve Hall wrote:
          > > On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 10:04 +1000, Robbie Gates wrote:
          > > >
          > > > i was having problems with gvim hanging when i tried to edit my
          > > > vimrc. After a bit of sleuthing, i tracked it down to has("tcl")
          > > > hanging (called from syntax/vim.vim).
          > >
          > > It appears your post and one on the vim list are related:

          > Yep, I have cygwin, and yep, the dummy tcl84.dll fixed the problem.

          I, too, can now confirm that the Cygwin tcl84.dll on path prior to any
          others causes :echo has("tcl") to hang.

          Can anyone here using a Windows binary different from those packaged
          by Cream reproduce this?

        • Edward Wong
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 8, 2006
            Yup, I can confirm it too. I'm in Windows with cygwin and command
            :echo has("tcl") crashes gvim. :)