Re: I cannot install gvim7.0

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
      Zheng Da wrote:
      > Hello.
      > I try to install vim7.0
      > But I can't install vim with GUI.
      > It seems that configure automatically looks for a GUI, but it always
      > tells no in my system.
      > "checking --enable-gui argument... no GUI support"
      > And I'm sure there isn't gvim in my system.
      > I read src/INSTALL. It tells me that I need glib and gtk+ at least
      > version 1.1.16, but below 2.0.
      > I use Debian, and in my system, there are libgtk1.2, libgtk1.2-common,
      > libgtk1.2-dev, libglib1.2, libglib1.2-dev.
      > So what else do I need?

      That INSTALL file must be really old, it says that GTK2 doesn't work -- it has
      worked since at least at some patchlevel of 6.3.

      Check the output of configure, where it checks for the various flavours of GUI
      (there is a long list of lines starting "checking"). Apparently it cannot find
      your GTK libs. you may need some argument to tell it where they are found; or
      else maybe you have --disable-gui-gtk-check or something?

    • moonykily
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
        Why not use apt-get install vim-full?
        In Debian Etch and Sid there is this deb package, and it works well on my
        machine.

        --
        novorus@...
      • Tom Purl
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
          On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 12:42:52AM +0800, Zheng Da wrote:
          > Hello.
          > I try to install vim7.0
          > But I can't install vim with GUI.
          > It seems that configure automatically looks for a GUI, but it always
          > tells no in my system.
          > "checking --enable-gui argument... no GUI support"
          > And I'm sure there isn't gvim in my system.
          > I read src/INSTALL. It tells me that I need glib and gtk+ at least
          > version 1.1.16, but below 2.0.
          > I use Debian, and in my system, there are libgtk1.2, libgtk1.2-common,
          > libgtk1.2-dev, libglib1.2, libglib1.2-dev.
          > So what else do I need?
          >
          > --
          > With regards
          > Zheng Da

          I had this same problem, and I think that it was fixed by installing
          the xwindows dev libraries. The output of ./configure told me what
          was missing from an X11 dev perspective.

          You might also want to try the following to install all of the
          compilation dependencies:

          sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gnome

          HTH!

          Tom Purl
        • Tom Purl
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
            Please reply to the list so that others can learn from our mistakes :)

            > I think it works. But it's really surprising. I run apt-get
            > build-dep vim-gnome, then run ./configure the same result:"checking
            > --enable-gui argument... no GUI support".

            You can also try the `apt-get build-dep` command with the following
            Debian packages:

            vim-gtk
            vim-gui-common

            > I removed the original source codes, and get a new one from
            > vim-7.0-extra.tar.gz, vim-7.0-lang.tar.gz, vim-7.0.tar.bz2.

            You should only require the last file in that list to compile gvim.

            > Then I can compile vim with GUI. By the way, I run ./configure
            > without any arguments.

            This is probably a *big* part of the reason why you can't compile gvim.
            In order to compile GVIM, it was my understanding that you needed to use
            some sort of GUI flag when executing the ./configuration step. Try
            running the following command in the future when compiling vim:

            ./configure --help | grep GUI

            This will show you all of the GUI-related flags that you need to
            consider when compiling gvim.

            HTH!

            Tom Purl

            > On 10/2/06, Tom Purl <tom@...> wrote:
            >> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 12:42:52AM +0800, Zheng Da wrote:
            >> > Hello.
            >> > I try to install vim7.0
            >> > But I can't install vim with GUI.
            >> > It seems that configure automatically looks for a GUI, but it always
            >> > tells no in my system.
            >> > "checking --enable-gui argument... no GUI support"
            >> > And I'm sure there isn't gvim in my system.
            >> > I read src/INSTALL. It tells me that I need glib and gtk+ at least
            >> > version 1.1.16, but below 2.0.
            >> > I use Debian, and in my system, there are libgtk1.2, libgtk1.2-common,
            >> > libgtk1.2-dev, libglib1.2, libglib1.2-dev.
            >> > So what else do I need?
            >> >
            >> > --
            >> > With regards
            >> > Zheng Da
            >>
            >> I had this same problem, and I think that it was fixed by installing
            >> the xwindows dev libraries. The output of ./configure told me what
            >> was missing from an X11 dev perspective.
            >>
            >> You might also want to try the following to install all of the
            >> compilation dependencies:
            >>
            >> sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gnome
            >>
            >> HTH!
            >>
            >> Tom Purl
            >>

            > --
            > With regards
            > Zheng Da

          • Zheng Da
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2006
              On 10/2/06, Tom Purl <tom@...> wrote:
              > Please reply to the list so that others can learn from our mistakes :)
              I'm sorry. I didn't notice. I thought I had posted my letter to the list.

              > > I think it works. But it's really surprising. I run apt-get
              > > build-dep vim-gnome, then run ./configure the same result:"checking
              > > --enable-gui argument... no GUI support".
              >
              > You can also try the `apt-get build-dep` command with the following
              > Debian packages:
              >
              > vim-gtk
              > vim-gui-common
              >
              > > I removed the original source codes, and get a new one from
              > > vim-7.0-extra.tar.gz, vim-7.0-lang.tar.gz, vim-7.0.tar.bz2.
              >
              > You should only require the last file in that list to compile gvim.
              I need to use Chinese.

              > > Then I can compile vim with GUI. By the way, I run ./configure
              > > without any arguments.
              >
              > This is probably a *big* part of the reason why you can't compile gvim.
              > In order to compile GVIM, it was my understanding that you needed to use
              > some sort of GUI flag when executing the ./configuration step. Try
              > running the following command in the future when compiling vim:
              I didn't use any argument of configure, and could still compile gvim.

              --
              With regards
              Zheng Da