Re: vim backspace

  • cga2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
      On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 08:34:50AM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
      > cga2000 wrote:

      [..]

      > There are a number of colorschemes in $VIMRUNTIME/colors/ ; I'm adding
      > my own rather simple one (attached) as an additional source of
      > inspiration.
      >
      > To invoke a colorscheme, use the ":colorscheme" command with the
      > script name (not including the .vim extension).
      >
      > After making changes to your current colorscheme, ":syntax on" will
      > reapply it.

      This would reload the original colorscheme .. doing a "reset defaults"
      or rather original color scheme, if there is one .. so-to-speak ..
      right?

      I don't suppose there's any way I can save the current interactively-
      modified colorscheme to a file? What I mean is that .. I use a given
      colorscheme and make changes to it in a Vim session .. say, I want the
      cusor to be easier to see :-) .. or I don't like the reverse-vid effect
      that hilights searched/found items .. etc.

      So I play with all this stuff for 10 minutes until I like what I see.
      And when I'm done with my changes, I want to save them somewhere .. Now,
      I still need to copy the original colorscheme under a different name and
      edit it manually to implement my changes one at a time, am I correct?

      The way I do this is to split the screen .. so I have the colorscheme in
      one half and my sample practice file in the other .. So, I use the <UP>
      cursor key to retrieve my ":hi" commands .. gnu/screen to copy/paste
      them in the colorscheme in lieu or the original statements .. and save
      my changes to colorscheme_custom .. eg.

      Rather messy but safe .. As long as I can figure out which among the
      dozens of commands I issued were the "final" ones for a particular :hi
      feature, that is ..

      I wasn't too sure where I could look for this (keywords?) .. but I didn't
      find anything like this either in the tips/scripts or in the help files.

      Thanks

      cga
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
        cga2000 wrote:
        > On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 08:34:50AM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
        [...]
        >> After making changes to your current colorscheme, ":syntax on" will
        >> reapply it.
        >
        > This would reload the original colorscheme .. doing a "reset defaults"
        > or rather original color scheme, if there is one .. so-to-speak ..
        > right?

        No, because the variable colors_name remembers the name of your colorscheme,
        and ":syntax on" uses that variable to load the correct colorscheme.

        > I don't suppose there's any way I can save the current interactively-
        > modified colorscheme to a file? What I mean is that .. I use a given
        > colorscheme and make changes to it in a Vim session .. say, I want the
        > cusor to be easier to see :-) .. or I don't like the reverse-vid effect
        > that hilights searched/found items .. etc.

        You can edit your current colorscheme script, save it, ":syntax on" and
        presto! see your new colors. Dr. Chip (aka Charles E. Campbell Jr., PhD) has
        also written a colorscheme editor which is uploaded at vim-online and/or on
        his site. It's called hicolors.vim and I have it but I don't use it because it
        has nasty habits (such as using :map without <buffer> on {lhs}es like ?
        [interfering with backward search] and <LeftMouse> and <RightMouse>
        [interfering with other mouse actions]).

        > So I play with all this stuff for 10 minutes until I like what I see.
        > And when I'm done with my changes, I want to save them somewhere .. Now,
        > I still need to copy the original colorscheme under a different name and
        > edit it manually to implement my changes one at a time, am I correct?

        You shouldn't edit-in-place something that resides in $VIMRUNTIME somewhere;
        but if the colorscheme is your own, you can edit it at will; and even use u
        (undo) to rollback the edits done before the latest save in the current Vim
        session.

        > The way I do this is to split the screen .. so I have the colorscheme in
        > one half and my sample practice file in the other .. So, I use the <UP>
        > cursor key to retrieve my ":hi" commands .. gnu/screen to copy/paste
        > them in the colorscheme in lieu or the original statements .. and save
        > my changes to colorscheme_custom .. eg.
        >
        > Rather messy but safe .. As long as I can figure out which among the
        > dozens of commands I issued were the "final" ones for a particular :hi
        > feature, that is ..

        :hi SomeGroupName

        will tell you which color settings are currently set for highlight group
        SomeGroupName (and :hi _without_ any arguments gives you the colors for _all_
        groups).

        > I wasn't too sure where I could look for this (keywords?) .. but I didn't
        > find anything like this either in the tips/scripts or in the help files.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > cga

        I suppose it's explained under ":help :highlight" and below more than anywhere
        else (sections 12 and 13 of syntax.txt -- it's rather lengthy); but it's
        mainly something you have to "learn by doing".

      • Yakov Lerner
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
          On 9/30/06, samitj <jain.samit@...> wrote:
          > 2) I modified my .vimrc file with some color settings. However, now I just
          > get a blank screen with my xterm color covering the whole screen - cant see
          > any text. HOw do I fix this?

          Did you try all existing colorshemes before trying to come up
          with your own ?

          I can recommend two things with regard to this:

          1) http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=625
          Colors Sampler Pack : All the color schemes on vim.sf.net -- 140
          colorschemes in one download.
          2) http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1488
          ScrollColors : Colorsheme Scroller, Chooser, and Browser .
          With ScrollColors you can preview 140 colorschemes in matter of minutes.

          Yakov
        • cga2000
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
            On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 12:29:24PM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
            > cga2000 wrote:

            [..]

            > I suppose it's explained under ":help :highlight" and below more than
            > anywhere else (sections 12 and 13 of syntax.txt -- it's rather lengthy);
            > but it's mainly something you have to "learn by doing".

            I think I was unclear.

            What I'm doing is using an existing colorscheme as a template.

            I proceed to make some changes to it while editing some sample file ..
            Could be C code .. email .. python .. latex .. html whatever. This
            gives me instant feedback so I can see with my own eyes whether I have a
            pleasant and "readable" shade of grey .. pink .. blue .. etc.

            Heck .. I use a 256-color xterm and well I'm working on it but I haven't
            yet managed to memorize all of them .. color113 .. color178 .. I don't
            even know if they're reds.. greens .. or blues.

            I thought that doing it this way would make it a lot more easier than
            coding a colorscheme from scratch and hoping for the best.

            But then I went looking for a "save current colorscheme" feature and
            didn't find one. So I had to go through the hassle of figuring out what
            I did by retrieving the successive commands that I issued.

            Just another case of barking the wrong tree .. just editing the color
            scheme in one half of my display .. saving it and loading the modified
            version to check the results is just as quick and decidedly better than
            issuing :hi commands manually since it ..

            1. saves a good deal of typing .. and ..

            2. once you're satisfied with the result .. you're done. The last
            version of the colorscheme that you saved corresponds exactly to what
            you are looking at.

            Thanks for helping me figure out a more sensible methodology.

            cga
          • Charles E Campbell Jr
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
              cga2000 wrote:

              >I don't suppose there's any way I can save the current interactively-
              >modified colorscheme to a file?

              Perhaps http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1081
              will be helpful for what
              you want to do. Interactively adjust the colorscheme using hicolors'
              colorscheme editor, then save it.

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell
            • cga2000
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 04:07:10PM EDT, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                > cga2000 wrote:
                >
                > >I don't suppose there's any way I can save the current interactively-
                > >modified colorscheme to a file?
                > >

                > Perhaps http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1081
                > will be helpful for what
                > you want to do. Interactively adjust the colorscheme using hicolors'
                > colorscheme editor, then save it.

                I'll take a look. It may give me ideas on how to improve the
                methodology outlined in my previous message.

                Only problem I see is that I don't use a mouse.

                Thanks

                cga