Re: forms support for Vim

  • Mikolaj Machowski
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hello,

      Interesting concept. The most difficult thing are Vim habits. Seeing
      spelling error in line before I tend to make <Esc>k than <S-Tab> which
      is obviously messing things.

      > - Use <Esc> in fields to cancel changes and restore old value.

      This doesn't work.

      I am getting <Plug>17|v$h

      Cannot accept entry from combobox, CTRL-Y jumps to first element,
      anything else doesn't work or insert <Plug>17|v$h.

      <Plug> thing is inserted also when hitting <Esc> twice.

      > I would appreciate any kind of feedback on this.

      Random remarks:

      After completely removing of entry tabbing goes wild (it works only from
      first entry to removed one).

      Combobox (Zip-code) is only drop-down menu: in combobox you should be
      able to insert your own values.

      Avoid <M-> mappings. They don't always and everywhere work. Better use
      something like <C-K>f to go to the First name field.

      Introduce Arrows (<Up>, <Down>) navigation. Although Tab works
      everywhere <S-Tab> doesn't work in terminal. Currently <Up>, <Down> are
      extending visual selection to other fields.

      Hotkey emphasis should be rather done with syntax highlighting, not
      underscore (not always available).

      Full version should take care about creation and destruction of buffer.
      With all this mappings it is tricky.

      m.
    • Hari Krishna Dara
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        First, a big thank you for trying it and giving feedback.

        On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 at 4:11pm, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Interesting concept. The most difficult thing are Vim habits. Seeing
        > spelling error in line before I tend to make <Esc>k than <S-Tab> which
        > is obviously messing things.

        Yes, that will be a problem, For short forms, this will not be much of a
        problem, as you don't expect to spend a lot of time on them (that is
        when your inherent habits start to show up). Covering all the vim
        movement commands and supporting them will be a lot of pain and
        maintenance.

        > > - Use <Esc> in fields to cancel changes and restore old value.
        >
        > This doesn't work.
        >
        > I am getting <Plug>17|v$h

        Sorry, I broke this later. As I said, it was meant to be a
        proof-of-concept, so I wasn't really testing all the features :)

        > Cannot accept entry from combobox, CTRL-Y jumps to first element,
        > anything else doesn't work or insert <Plug>17|v$h.

        Fixed.

        > <Plug> thing is inserted also when hitting <Esc> twice.

        Fixed.

        > > I would appreciate any kind of feedback on this.
        >
        > Random remarks:
        >
        > After completely removing of entry tabbing goes wild (it works only from
        > first entry to removed one).

        Fixed.

        > Combobox (Zip-code) is only drop-down menu: in combobox you should be
        > able to insert your own values.

        This will be a editable combobox, and I didn't implement it as of last
        time (it was there in the TODO), however it is now implemented and the
        Country field in the demo allows you to do this.

        > Avoid <M-> mappings. They don't always and everywhere work. Better use
        > something like <C-K>f to go to the First name field.

        Good comment, I am now mapping both the meta keys as well as your
        suggested <C-K> keys.

        > Introduce Arrows (<Up>, <Down>) navigation. Although Tab works
        > everywhere <S-Tab> doesn't work in terminal. Currently <Up>, <Down> are
        > extending visual selection to other fields.

        Good comment again, both work now. On combobox, the <Down> in addition
        opens up the popup (if not already open). When open, you can only <Tab>
        out forwards or <S-Tab> out backwards, but when not open You can also
        use <Up> out backwards (but as I said <Down> will popup completion).

        > Hotkey emphasis should be rather done with syntax highlighting, not
        > underscore (not always available).

        I took note of this. I don't have much idea of how to implement syntax
        coloring right now.

        > Full version should take care about creation and destruction of buffer.
        > With all this mappings it is tricky.

        For the first implementation, this is not important. With all the
        mappings, it is hard for the plugin to manage a single buffer for all
        the forms. E.g., if clicking on a button should bring up another form,
        then it is better to use a different buffer. It is easier for the client
        of forms plugin to create a new window with a new temp buffer and show
        forms, and wipe it off at the end. Handling this inside forms plugin
        will need more thought. Your comments are welcome.

        Thanks again for your feedback. I uploaded the new version here:

        http://haridara.googlepages.com/forms.vim

        I will add API to create forms and a few other things next. I have to
        implement some more features (especially the user-completion on fields)
        before I can start using it for myself.

        --
        Thanks,
        Hari

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mikolaj Machowski
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
          Dnia poniedziałek, 2 października 2006 01:41, Hari Krishna Dara napisał:
          > First, a big thank you for trying it and giving feedback.
          >
          > On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 at 4:11pm, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > Interesting concept. The most difficult thing are Vim habits. Seeing
          > > spelling error in line before I tend to make <Esc>k than <S-Tab> which
          > > is obviously messing things.
          >
          > Yes, that will be a problem, For short forms, this will not be much of a
          > problem, as you don't expect to spend a lot of time on them (that is
          > when your inherent habits start to show up). Covering all the vim
          > movement commands and supporting them will be a lot of pain and
          > maintenance.

          Maybe not all. You should catch "only" switching between major modes
          and vertical movement. The rest isn't so important.

          > > Avoid <M-> mappings. They don't always and everywhere work. Better use
          > > something like <C-K>f to go to the First name field.
          >
          > Good comment, I am now mapping both the meta keys as well as your
          > suggested <C-K> keys.

          After some consideration <C-K> wasn't best suggestion. I think in such
          forms is bigger probability of digraphs than somewhere else. Other
          possibilities; <C-F> (may break behave mswin and/or Cream - obvious
          client of such script); <C-D/T> no mnemonic value but are covering
          indenting mappings.

          > > Hotkey emphasis should be rather done with syntax highlighting, not
          > > underscore (not always available).
          >
          > I took note of this. I don't have much idea of how to implement syntax
          > coloring right now.

          You know where key label ends. Use \%<c atom to limit highlighting.
          Hotkey is harder. You can try to determine exact position of that letter
          and use \%c\%l to highlight only that cell.

          > > Full version should take care about creation and destruction of
          > > buffer. With all this mappings it is tricky.
          >
          > For the first implementation, this is not important. With all the
          > mappings, it is hard for the plugin to manage a single buffer for all
          > the forms. E.g., if clicking on a button should bring up another form,
          > then it is better to use a different buffer. It is easier for the client
          > of forms plugin to create a new window with a new temp buffer and show
          > forms, and wipe it off at the end. Handling this inside forms plugin
          > will need more thought. Your comments are welcome.

          Maybe you are right. I am biased here - I hate buffer management and if
          someone else can take care about that... ;)

          > Thanks again for your feedback. I uploaded the new version here:
          >
          > http://haridara.googlepages.com/forms.vim

          I will check it in the evening.

          m.