Re: copy a word without moving cursor

  • Yakov Lerner
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
      On 10/1/06, Osho GG <oshogg@...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I know this mustbe pretty simple but I can't figure this out. I want
      > to copy a word into a buffer without moving the cursor. Currently I do
      > something like
      >
      > *"ayw^O:noh<CR>
      >
      > to get this effect. But, this seems like such a round about way to do
      > this. Is there a simpler way to achieve this?

      Yes :-).
      The simpler way is to map it to single key :-), like <F2> :-)
      I'd imagine that typing 11 keys doesn't feel the right
      typing-to-effect ratio.

      Yakov
    • Osho GG
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
        > On 10/1/06, Osho GG <oshogg@...> wrote:
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > I know this mustbe pretty simple but I can't figure this out. I want
        > > to copy a word into a buffer without moving the cursor. Currently I do
        > > something like
        > >
        > > *"ayw^O:noh<CR>
        > >
        > > to get this effect. But, this seems like such a round about way to do
        > > this. Is there a simpler way to achieve this?
        >
        > Yes :-).
        > The simpler way is to map it to single key :-), like <F2> :-)
        > I'd imagine that typing 11 keys doesn't feel the right
        > typing-to-effect ratio.

        I am already putting this segment in much larger map that does other
        things on "a contents. However, the way I currently do it has a
        disadvantage that the cursor moves and then it moves back and then the
        screen flashes - all for nothing really. "ayaw or "ayiw doesn't work
        for me because it changes cursor position. So, I want a simple way to
        find the word at the current cursor position.

        thanks,
        Osho

        > Yakov

      • Yakov Lerner
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2006
          On 10/1/06, Osho GG <oshogg@...> wrote:
          > On 10/1/06, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:
          > > On 10/1/06, Osho GG <oshogg@...> wrote:
          > > > I know this mustbe pretty simple but I can't figure this out. I want
          > > > to copy a word into a buffer without moving the cursor. Currently I do
          > > > something like
          > > >
          > > > *"ayw^O:noh<CR>
          >
          > I am already putting this segment in much larger map that does other
          > things on "a contents. However, the way I currently do it has a
          > disadvantage that the cursor moves and then it moves back and then the
          > screen flashes - all for nothing really. "ayaw or "ayiw doesn't work
          > for me because it changes cursor position. So, I want a simple way to
          > find the word at the current cursor position.

          map <F5> mzlb"ayw`z

          > screen flashes

          1) Check that your 'lazyredray' option is set.
          2) Try to add flag <silent> to your mapping

          Yakov
        • Charles E Campbell Jr
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
            Osho GG wrote:

            > I am already putting this segment in much larger map that does other
            > things on "a contents. However, the way I currently do it has a
            > disadvantage that the cursor moves and then it moves back and then the
            > screen flashes - all for nothing really. "ayaw or "ayiw doesn't work
            > for me because it changes cursor position. So, I want a simple way to
            > find the word at the current cursor position.

            Its not 100% clear what you want; does
            :echo expand("<cword>")
            illustrate something like what you want?

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell
          • Osho GG
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
              On 10/2/06, Charles E Campbell Jr <drchip@...> wrote:
              > Osho GG wrote:
              >
              > > I am already putting this segment in much larger map that does other
              > > things on "a contents. However, the way I currently do it has a
              > > disadvantage that the cursor moves and then it moves back and then the
              > > screen flashes - all for nothing really. "ayaw or "ayiw doesn't work
              > > for me because it changes cursor position. So, I want a simple way to
              > > find the word at the current cursor position.
              >
              > Its not 100% clear what you want; does
              > :echo expand("<cword>")
              > illustrate something like what you want?

              Exactly what I want! Thanks!!

              Osho

              > Regards,
              > Chip Campbell

            • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 8, 2006
                Osho GG wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > I know this mustbe pretty simple but I can't figure this out. I want
                > to copy a word into a buffer without moving the cursor. Currently I do
                > something like
                >
                > *"ayw^O:noh<CR>
                >
                > to get this effect. But, this seems like such a round about way to do
                > this. Is there a simpler way to achieve this?

                :let @a= expand("<cword>")

                Regards,
                Chip Campbell