Re: first character cutted when v,j,x

  • cga2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
      On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 08:35:04PM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
      > cga2000 wrote:

      [..]

      > What you highlighted includes the cursor

      Misuse of "v" was the issue and explains why Vim thus behaves.

      Since "v" is "per character" visual mode .. vjj does not make much sense
      in the first place .. using the wrong tool .. Either you do a Vjj .. or
      vjllll etc. (or vj$ not very logical but at least is consistent).

      Now that you have told me what to look for, I can see that cursor .. and
      everything falls into place.

      > (move the cursor to the other end
      > with o -- and with selection=inclusive -- to check it). The Unix default is
      > to delete the whole Visual area, including the cursor character. This,
      > IIUC, predates Vim. The Windows default is different: on Windows, in
      > non-Vim programs, the bar cursor is between characters, not on a character,

      .. sounds fishy .. in a cell terminal how could a character be between
      characters.. except by being invisible?

      :-)

      > and the highlighted area (when using shift-right or shift-down, i.e.,
      > forward motions) stops left of the cursor. The purpose of the
      > confusing "exclusive" behaviour on Windows is to cater to the peculiar
      > customs of Windows users. Notice that gvim has a block cursor in
      > Visual mode when 'selection' is "inclusive", and a thick bar cursor
      > when it is "exclusive".

      > Note: to highlight and delete full lines, use linewise visual mode
      > (with V not v). Linewise-visual always includes (and highlights) the
      > cursor line.

      Which is what I did without understanding why .. just worked.

      Makes a lot of difference to know why, though .. Since this is general
      to all movement/selections it explains a number of other behaviors that
      have baffled me in the past.

      As always, thanks for your enlightening comments.

      cga
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        cga2000 wrote:
        [...]
        > .. sounds fishy .. in a cell terminal how could a character be between
        > characters.. except by being invisible?
        >
        > :-)

        [...]

        Windows, even more than "modern" Unixes (those with X11), is GUI-oriented. On
        Windows, IIUC, only old Dos hands like me, hackers, and Unix users ever use
        the Dos Box. Other people use WYSIWYG interfaces like Word, and their cursor
        is not a character, nor does it cover a character; it is a blinking bar
        between characters. Gvim imitates that quite well, except that the gvim cursor
        must always be thought of as being "on" a character, even in Insert mode when
        it displays as a thin vertical bar on the left edge of the character cell.

      • cga2000
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
          On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 09:33:37AM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
          > cga2000 wrote:
          > [...]
          > >.. sounds fishy .. in a cell terminal how could a character be between
          > >characters.. except by being invisible?
          > >
          > >:-)
          > >
          > [...]
          >
          > Windows, even more than "modern" Unixes (those with X11), is GUI-oriented.
          > On Windows, IIUC, only old Dos hands like me, hackers, and Unix users ever
          > use the Dos Box. Other people use WYSIWYG interfaces like Word, and their
          > cursor is not a character, nor does it cover a character; it is a blinking
          > bar between characters. Gvim imitates that quite well, except that the gvim
          > cursor must always be thought of as being "on" a character, even in Insert
          > mode when it displays as a thin vertical bar on the left edge of the
          > character cell.

          Very interesting.

          Thanks

          cga