Problem with accents

  • Giovanni Funchal
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hello all!

      I've recently installed kubuntu linux over vmware, then I used the
      adept package manager to install the following packages (6.4-006)

      vim
      vim-gtk
      vim-gui-common
      vim-latexsuite
      vim-runtime

      I have a french keyboard, and accents works everywhere: terminal,
      openoffice, etc

      BUT when I try to edit a latex .tex file with gvim, I can't type
      accentuated letters like "é" and "à"!!!!

      Accents work with other file types.

      Any idea?

      Kind regards,
      Giovanni
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
        Giovanni Funchal wrote:
        > Hello all!
        >
        > I've recently installed kubuntu linux over vmware, then I used the
        > adept package manager to install the following packages (6.4-006)
        >
        > vim
        > vim-gtk
        > vim-gui-common
        > vim-latexsuite
        > vim-runtime
        >
        > I have a french keyboard, and accents works everywhere: terminal,
        > openoffice, etc
        >
        > BUT when I try to edit a latex .tex file with gvim, I can't type
        > accentuated letters like "é" and "à"!!!!
        >
        > Accents work with other file types.
        >
        > Any idea?
        >
        > Kind regards,
        > Giovanni

        Check your mappings. Open a latex file, then do both

        :verbose map
        :verbose map!

        Check the left-hand side of mappings for accented letters. I suspect you might
        have mappings for Alt-something key combos, which would collide with
        upper-half Latin1 / Latin9 / Windows-1252 letters.

        You may want to redirect the output of these commands to a file or a register
        (see ":help :redir") so you can examine it at your leisure. In Vim 7, under
        each mapping you'll see which script (if any) created it. (Nothing for
        mappings entered at the command-line.)

        If anything is mapped to à é etc., you may want to unmap it using variants of
        the ":unmap" command (see ":help map-overview"), and possibly to remap it to
        something less controversial (like the Fn keys, with or without Shift). If the
        mappings were created by some latex or tex plugin not written by you, you may
        also want to contact the script maintainer to tell him that his mappings
        conflict with the accented letters of continental European languages.

      • Christian Ebert
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2006
          * Giovanni Funchal on Sunday, October 01, 2006 at 13:52:08 +0200:

          <http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=faq&title=FAQ#faq-e-acute>
          <http://vim-latex.sourceforge.net/index.php?subject=faq&title=FAQ#faq-euro-symbols>

          _B A U S T E L L E N_ lesen! --->> <http://www.blacktrash.org/baustellen.html>