Re: Using openssl bf encryption

  • Brian McKee

      On 31-Aug-06, at 12:09 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
      > Hi All
      > I'd like to be able to edit an encrypted plain text file using vim.
      > It's blowfish encoded with openssl.
      {snippage}

      Well, the response to the previous email was underwhelming :-)

      I've done some limited testing, and came up with an addition to
      my .vimrc
      that seems to work really slick. I've attached that to the bottom
      for future generations
      to criticize.

      The nifty unintended side effect was I can encrypt any file I'm
      working on just
      by saving it with a .bf extension.

      If anyone has any comments or spots an ooppsie, by all means let me
      know.
      Thanks
      Brian

      " Transparent editing of bf encrypted files.
      " Originally By Wouter Hanegraaff <wouter@...>
      " with very minor alterations for bf by bmckee <brian.mckee@...>
      " note the file must be encrypted with the -a and -salt options
      " no guarantees using this won't post your secrets on myspace.com :-)
      augroup encrypted
      au!

      " First make sure nothing is written to ~/.viminfo while editing
      " an encrypted file.
      autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.bf set viminfo=
      " We don't want a swap file, as it writes unencrypted data to disk
      autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.bf set nobackup
      " We don't want a backup
      autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.bf set nowritebackup
      " We don't want an inprogress backup either
      autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.bf set noswapfile
      " Switch to binary mode to read the encrypted file
      autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.bf set bin
      autocmd BufReadPre,FileReadPre *.bf let ch_save = &ch|set ch=2
      autocmd BufReadPost,FileReadPost *.bf '[,']!openssl bf -d -
      salt -a 2> /dev/null
      " Switch to normal mode for editing
      autocmd BufReadPost,FileReadPost *.bf set nobin
      autocmd BufReadPost,FileReadPost *.bf let &ch = ch_save|unlet
      ch_save
      autocmd BufReadPost,FileReadPost *.bf execute ":doautocmd
      BufReadPost " . expand("%:r")
      " Convert all text to encrypted text before writing
      autocmd BufWritePre,FileWritePre *.bf '[,']!openssl enc -bf
      - -salt -a 2>/dev/null
      " Undo the encryption so we are back in the normal text, directly
      " after the file has been written.
      autocmd BufWritePost,FileWritePost *.bf u
      augroup END