Re: Search and replace as per format

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
      Srinivas Rao. M wrote:
      > Hi Tim, Charles,
      >
      > I am rather looking at a generic substitution where the number of open
      > quotes are matched, and then add an argument to log(). IN a generic
      > aproach we may have a variable number of arguments, just like thwe way
      > printf() supports.
      > The strings like "module name", LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG, and "The Value of
      > status=" can be anything.
      >
      > All these needs to be substituted in the .c files.
      >
      > regards,
      > Srini...
      >

      > On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 12:54 -0400, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
      >> Srinivas Rao. M wrote:
      >>
      >>> Hi Vimmers,
      >>>
      >>> I am tasked to replace the pattern
      >>>
      >>> log("module_name", LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG, "The Value of status=%d message",
      >>> status);

      >>> log("module_name", LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG, "%s:The Value of status=%d
      >>> message",__FUNCTION__, status);
      [...]

      Well, please describe exactly what you want to do, and in particular,
      how to determine which string(s) to modify (like "The Value of..." and
      which not to (like "module name").

      I suspect the problem can be solved with an ":args" command (such as
      ":args **/*.[ch]") followed by ":argdo
      g/\<log(/s/something/something/g". Possibly wrapping it in a function if
      things like __FUNCTION__ must be specified on each invocation.