Re: bug with vimdiff and 'modifiable' check

  • Christian Ebert
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      * Hari Krishna Dara on Thursday, August 31, 2006 at 14:48:41 -0700:
      > I just found out that Vim checks the wrong buffer for 'modifiable' flag
      > while doing a :diffput. I have two buffers being diffed, with the left
      > one set to 'nomodifiable', and the right one set to 'modifiable', and
      > when I try to :diffput from left to right, it complains that it can't be
      > done. When I set left buffer also to 'modifiable' it went ahead with the
      > change.

      FWIW, I can't reproduce this. But only tried with small examples.

      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Aug 30 2006 08:32:12)
      Included patches: 1-76
      Compiled by blacktrash@...
      Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      [...]

      _B A U S T E L L E N_ lesen! --->> <http://www.blacktrash.org/baustellen.html>
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

        > I just found out that Vim checks the wrong buffer for 'modifiable' flag
        > while doing a :diffput. I have two buffers being diffed, with the left
        > one set to 'nomodifiable', and the right one set to 'modifiable', and
        > when I try to :diffput from left to right, it complains that it can't be
        > done. When I set left buffer also to 'modifiable' it went ahead with the
        > change.

        I don't see how this can happen. I suspect it's something in your
        environment or you made a mistake.

        --
        If I tell you "you have a beautiful body", would you hold it against me?

      • Hari Krishna Dara
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
          On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 at 10:18pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
          >
          > > I just found out that Vim checks the wrong buffer for 'modifiable' flag
          > > while doing a :diffput. I have two buffers being diffed, with the left
          > > one set to 'nomodifiable', and the right one set to 'modifiable', and
          > > when I try to :diffput from left to right, it complains that it can't be
          > > done. When I set left buffer also to 'modifiable' it went ahead with the
          > > change.
          >
          > I don't see how this can happen. I suspect it's something in your
          > environment or you made a mistake.

          I tried to reproduce again and I can't either. I apologize for the false
          report, I can't think of anything that caused it to behave differently
          at that time.

          --
          Thanks,
          Hari