Re: vim is too smart for its own good

  • Matthew Winn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2006
      On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:49:32 -0500, Tim Chase <vim@...>
      wrote:

      > There's always "ed"...
      >
      > -more ubiquitous in its presence
      > -consistent in its behavior
      > -powerful
      > -tools like "diff" interoperate with it
      > -it can be used on a slow TTY
      > -can be used on with a one-line display
      > -smaller executable size
      > -easier to remember: "*ed*itor", not "*vi*sual editor"
      > -no time or machine cycles wasted on screen refreshes
      > -historically significant
      >
      > so many other bountiful blessings to using ed. ;)
      >
      > Granted, I haven't come across an "ed users mailing list", let
      > alone one as helpful as this list.
      >
      > Hmmm...I wonder how hard it would be to add syntax highlighting
      > to ed... ;)

      The wonderful thing about ed is that it encourages you to learn about
      the power of regular expressions really, _really_ quickly, mainly
      because there's no other way to make changes within a line.

      In the late 1980s I used the Georgia Tech screen editor, which was a
      sort of visual ed. You entered commands just like ed, but the top
      of the screen was used to display twenty or so lines of your buffer
      around the area you were editing. Each displayed line had a capital
      letter associated with it and you could use this letter as a line
      address instead of the line's number. An example of its display taken
      from the manual:

      A |
      B |#include <stdio.h>
      C |
      D *| register int i;
      E |
      . -> | for (i = 1; i <= 12; i++)
      G | putc ('\n', stderr);
      $ |
      cmd> |_
      11:39 myfile ...............................

      You can still get it, if you want to remember the good old days:
      http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Editors/se-1.3/

      --
      Matthew Winn
    • Yakov Lerner
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2006
        On 8/31/06, Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'd like to use a plain text editor.
        > I don't want any surprises.
        > I don't want it to think it understands language syntax.
        > I don't want it to colorize things.
        > I don't want it to do anything at all for me, unless I explicitly
        > say it is okay for it to do so.
        >
        > In short, I want vi. Except Linux distributions now alias vi
        > to vim and all its wondrous wizardry. ``set compatible'' is
        > insufficient. I still get automated commenting when the silly
        > thing has decided that I must be editing a C file. Leave me
        > alone, please. I want it all turned off. I have been unable
        > to find a simple way to do that.

        :set paste

        Yakov