bug with vimdiff and 'modifiable' check

  • Hari Krishna Dara
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2006
      I just found out that Vim checks the wrong buffer for 'modifiable' flag
      while doing a :diffput. I have two buffers being diffed, with the left
      one set to 'nomodifiable', and the right one set to 'modifiable', and
      when I try to :diffput from left to right, it complains that it can't be
      done. When I set left buffer also to 'modifiable' it went ahead with the
      change.

      --
      Thanks,
      Hari

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Christian Ebert
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
        * Hari Krishna Dara on Thursday, August 31, 2006 at 14:48:41 -0700:
        > I just found out that Vim checks the wrong buffer for 'modifiable' flag
        > while doing a :diffput. I have two buffers being diffed, with the left
        > one set to 'nomodifiable', and the right one set to 'modifiable', and
        > when I try to :diffput from left to right, it complains that it can't be
        > done. When I set left buffer also to 'modifiable' it went ahead with the
        > change.

        FWIW, I can't reproduce this. But only tried with small examples.

        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Aug 30 2006 08:32:12)
        Included patches: 1-76
        Compiled by blacktrash@...
        Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
        [...]

        _B A U S T E L L E N_ lesen! --->> <http://www.blacktrash.org/baustellen.html>
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
          Hari Krishna Dara wrote:

          > I just found out that Vim checks the wrong buffer for 'modifiable' flag
          > while doing a :diffput. I have two buffers being diffed, with the left
          > one set to 'nomodifiable', and the right one set to 'modifiable', and
          > when I try to :diffput from left to right, it complains that it can't be
          > done. When I set left buffer also to 'modifiable' it went ahead with the
          > change.

          I don't see how this can happen. I suspect it's something in your
          environment or you made a mistake.

          --
          If I tell you "you have a beautiful body", would you hold it against me?

        • Hari Krishna Dara
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
            On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 at 10:18pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
            >
            > > I just found out that Vim checks the wrong buffer for 'modifiable' flag
            > > while doing a :diffput. I have two buffers being diffed, with the left
            > > one set to 'nomodifiable', and the right one set to 'modifiable', and
            > > when I try to :diffput from left to right, it complains that it can't be
            > > done. When I set left buffer also to 'modifiable' it went ahead with the
            > > change.
            >
            > I don't see how this can happen. I suspect it's something in your
            > environment or you made a mistake.

            I tried to reproduce again and I can't either. I apologize for the false
            report, I can't think of anything that caused it to behave differently
            at that time.

            --
            Thanks,
            Hari