Re: Font problems on Linux after upgrade

  • Boris Dinkevich
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hello,

      I have used the AAP utility for installation.
      Is there a way to reconfigure & recompile for GTK2 (a howto/help perhaps)

      Thanks alot for your help
      Boris

      On 8/31/06, Robert Cussons <r.cussons@...> wrote:
      > Yakov Lerner wrote:
      > > On 8/31/06, Boris Dinkevich <Boris@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Hello everyone,
      > >>
      > >> I am using Mandrake 9.2 and have recently upgraded from Vim6 to 7.
      > >> Unfortunately after the update, the look&feel changed, I was able to
      > >> restore
      > >> most of the settings but am unable to restore the font configuration.
      > >>
      > >> My font was similar (or the same) to "Monospace" font as appears in
      > >> Konsole
      > >> app.
      > >> But I am unable to set gvim7 to use the same font.
      > >

      > > Difference in fonts may be due to difference in GUI libraries that
      > > gvim is built with. Check 4th line of output of :version
      > > command, both in your old vim, and in your new vim.
      > >
      > > For example, mine reads :version ... Huge version with GTK2 GUI.
      > >
      > > The vim that had font closest to Konsole possibly was Qt-based.
      > >
      > > Yakov
      > >

      > Hi Boris,
      >
      > I had exactly the same problem and as Yakov says it was due to the GUI
      > libraries, the old one was GTK2 GUI and when I recompiled it, it was
      > motif and the font changed as you said, when I recompiled it for GTK2
      > GUI the appearance returned to the old one.

    • Boris Dinkevich
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 31, 2006
        Hello Yakov

        I have tried to configure manualy, but to not avail.
        (By the way, I have KDE)

        Tried compiling with: --enable-gui=gtk2

        but when I try to start gvim I get the following error:
        E25: GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time

        PS. I am not sure how I can start the old gvim (if its still present)
        to check the settings it was compiled with.

        Again thanks for your help,
        Boris

        > On 8/31/06, Boris Dinkevich <Boris@...> wrote:
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I have used the AAP utility for installation.
        > > Is there a way to reconfigure & recompile for GTK2 (a howto/help perhaps)
        >
        > aap downloaded all sources whcih contain, among other things,
        > configure script. Go to the directory of sources and do
        > ./configure --enable-gui=gtk2 --with-features=huge
        > ./make && make install
        >
        > The --with-features=huge part is optional, up to you. Yuu can also use
        > my script vim7-install.sh , attached, which doanloads latest vim sources
        > & builds & instals them. With my script, command is:
        > ./vim7-install.sh --enable-gui=gtk2 --with-features=huge
        >
        > To see all available configure options, do ./configure --help, or
        > /vim7-install.sh --help
        >
        > Yakov

      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 31, 2006
          Boris Dinkevich wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I have used the AAP utility for installation.
          > Is there a way to reconfigure & recompile for GTK2 (a howto/help perhaps)
          >
          > Thanks alot for your help
          > Boris
          [...]

          Configure will select the GTK2 GUI by default, provided that:
          a) it is installed, including "development" stuff;
          b) you have not forbidden it via --disable-gtk2-check
          c) you have not explicitly selected a different GUI via --enable-gui=

          For (a) you need to install the gtk2 and gtk2-devel packages (or
          whatever they are called in your Linux distribution)
          For (b) and (c) you need to REMOVE any --disable-gtk2-check or
          --enable-gui= parameter from your configure arguments.

          If you changed anything under (a), (b) or (c) above, you need to run
          "make reconfig", not in the top vim70 directory (whose Makefile has no
          "reconfig" target) but in the src/ directory, as follows:

          cd src
          make reconfig > ../make.log 2>&1
          cd ..

          This will both re-run configure with your new settings, and recompile
          Vim. Once it has finished running:

          ls -l src/vim
          (and optionally)
          less make.log

          you should see a Vim executable with today's date; if you don't, the
          make log will tell you what went wrong. If you do:

          src/vim --version |more

          Check the features that are important to you. In particular, check that
          one of the first four lines of output includes "with GTK2 GUI". If they
          are present:

          make install

          Note: If you include the GTK+2 GUI, you can also (optionally) include
          the Gnome2 interface, which will make Vim save its session transparently
          when you close the kde or Gnome window manager, and restart it when the
          window manager is restarted. For that, you need:

          a) the gnome2 and gnome2-devel packages (or whatever they are called in
          your Linux distribution)
          b) the --enable-gnome-check argument to configure.

          For instance, on my system, sourcing the following file in the bash
          shell (with the source command or a period, followed by a space and the
          filename; just the filename at the command prompt is not enough), will
          cause a subsequent make to produce a Vim with Gnome/GTK2 GUI:

          #!/bin/bash
          #
          # this file must be sourced, not run
          #
          # set environment variables
          export CONF_OPT_GUI='--enable-gnome-check'
          export CONF_OPT_PERL='--enable-perlinterp'
          export CONF_OPT_PYTHON='--enable-pythoninterp'
          export CONF_OPT_TCL='--enable-tclinterp --with-tcl=tclsh8.4'
          export CONF_OPT_RUBY='--enable-rubyinterp'
          export CONF_OPT_MZSCHEME='--enable-mzschemeinterp'
          export CONF_OPT_CSCOPE='--enable-cscope'
          export CONF_OPT_MULTIBYTE='--enable-multibyte'
          export CONF_OPT_OUTPUT='--enable-fontset'
          export CONF_OPT_FEAT='--with-features=huge'
          export CONF_OPT_COMPBY='"--with-compiledby=antoine.mechelynck@..."'

          (in case my mailer "beautified" it: each line start with either # or
          "export CONF_OPT_" without the quotes). You can use all or any of it,
          but please change at least the last line to show your name instead of
          mine ;-). Any feature not installed on your system (or whose
          "development" stuff is not installed) will be disabled by configure; to
          disable a feature for which you do have the software, replace --enable
          by --disable in the configure arguments.

        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 31, 2006
            Boris Dinkevich wrote:
            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I am using Mandrake 9.2 and have recently upgraded from Vim6 to 7.
            > Unfortunately after the update, the look&feel changed, I was able to
            > restore
            > most of the settings but am unable to restore the font configuration.
            >
            > My font was similar (or the same) to "Monospace" font as appears in Konsole
            > app.
            > But I am unable to set gvim7 to use the same font.
            >
            > Any help will be greatly appreciated
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Boris Dinkevich

            If your GUI flavour allows it, you may use

            :set guifont=*

            to select your GUI font from a popup menu. If and when you find a font
            that suits you, you can do (assuming 'nocompatible' is set)

            :set guifont=<Tab>

            to see what was set, with escaping backslashes if and where necessary.
            Copy it verbatim onto a piece of paper, and from there into your vimrc.
            If your GUI flavour does _not_ allow ":set guifont=*", then you can
            either recompile with a different GUI (more on that in another post of
            mine in this thread), or "guess" how the font will be called. Now there
            are 4 different, totally incompatible formats for the 'guifont' option,
            and each gvim executable accepts only one of them. The following code
            snippet (which can be placed in your vimrc) will select the right option
            format for whatever it is you have installed:

            if has("gui_running") " no need to set it if we ain't got it
            if has("gui_gtk2") " GTK+2 only, not GTK+1
            set gfn=Monospace\ 12
            elseif has("gui_kde") " kvim is obsolete, but there are still
            " some old versions of it lying around
            set gfn=Monospace/12/-1/5/50/0/0/0/1/0
            elseif has("x11") " all other X11 builds of gvim
            set gfn=*-monospace-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-*
            else " everything else, including Windows
            " and non-X11 Mac builds
            set gfn=Monospace:h12
            endif
            endif

            After running that, you can do

            :set guifont=<Tab>

            to see what was set, and even edit the value on the command-line (then
            hit Enter to accept the changes, Esc to cancel them); but if you want to
            set, for instance, a different font face, you may have to shoot in the
            dark. If and when you find what suits you, port your changes back into
            the vimrc code snippet above.

          • Yakov Lerner
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 31, 2006
              On 8/31/06, Boris Dinkevich <Boris@...> wrote:
              > Hello Yakov
              >
              > I have tried to configure manualy, but to not avail.
              > (By the way, I have KDE)

              You are probably missing gtk2 development libraries. On fedora,
              package name is gtk2-devel. On your Linux, I don't know

              Yakov

              > Tried compiling with: --enable-gui=gtk2
              >
              > but when I try to start gvim I get the following error:
              > E25: GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time
              >
              > PS. I am not sure how I can start the old gvim (if its still present)
              > to check the settings it was compiled with.
              >
              > Again thanks for your help,
              > Boris
              >

              > On 8/31/06, Yakov Lerner <iler.ml@...> wrote:
              > > On 8/31/06, Boris Dinkevich <Boris@...> wrote:
              > > > Hello,
              > > >
              > > > I have used the AAP utility for installation.
              > > > Is there a way to reconfigure & recompile for GTK2 (a howto/help perhaps)
              > >
              > > aap downloaded all sources whcih contain, among other things,
              > > configure script. Go to the directory of sources and do
              > > ./configure --enable-gui=gtk2 --with-features=huge
              > > ./make && make install
              > >
              > > The --with-features=huge part is optional, up to you. Yuu can also use
              > > my script vim7-install.sh , attached, which doanloads latest vim sources
              > > & builds & instals them. With my script, command is:
              > > ./vim7-install.sh --enable-gui=gtk2 --with-features=huge
              > >
              > > To see all available configure options, do ./configure --help, or
              > > /vim7-install.sh --help
              > >
              > > Yakov

            • Boris Dinkevich
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
                Hello everyone

                Thank you very much for your help.

                Unfortunately after playing more with the settings I was unable to
                restore the same font as were before.

                Is there possible to run the old executable & configuration as before
                the 7 installation or do I have to upgrade/downgrade to return to the
                old setup ?

                Thanks again for the help
                Boris

              • A.J.Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
                  Boris Dinkevich wrote:
                  > Hello everyone
                  >
                  > Thank you very much for your help.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately after playing more with the settings I was unable to
                  > restore the same font as were before.
                  >
                  > Is there possible to run the old executable & configuration as before
                  > the 7 installation or do I have to upgrade/downgrade to return to the
                  > old setup ?
                  >
                  > Thanks again for the help
                  > Boris

                  It is possible to have several versions of Vim coexisting peacefully on
                  a single system, but some precautions must be taken.

                  - You will usually want to use one of them as "default". That one must
                  come first in your $PATH. When you enter in the shell

                  which -a vim

                  you will see all "vim" executables in the $PATH. The first of those is
                  what will be called when you invoke "vim" without a path.

                  - $VIMRUNTIME must not be set outside of Vim. Each Vim executable will
                  set it to its own runtime directory.

                  - It is easiest to leave $VIM unset also. But if all vim<version>
                  directories (for each of your executables) have a common parent, you may
                  set $VIM to that common parent.

                  - On Linux, where the Vim executables are moved to somewhere in the
                  $PATH, you must give them different names.

                  Example 1, on Unix/Linux:

                  - $VIM is set to /usr/local/share/vim
                  - Vim 7.0 runtime files are in /usr/local/share/vim/vim70 and its
                  subdirectories
                  - Vim 6.4 runtime files are in /usr/local/share/vim/vim64 and its
                  subdirectories
                  - Vim 7.0 executable is /usr/local/bin/vim
                  - Vim 6.4 executable is /usr/local/bin/vim64
                  - Invoke Vim 7.0 as vim (console) or gvim (GUI); vim 6.4 as vim64
                  (console) or vim64 -g (GUI)

                  Example 2, on Windows

                  - $VIM is set to C:\Program Files\vim
                  - Vim 7.0 runtime files are in C:\Program Files\vim\vim70 and its
                  subdirectories
                  - Vim 6.4 runtime files are in C:\Program Files\vim\vim64 and its
                  subdirectories
                  - Vim 7.0 executables are C:\Program Files\vim\vim70\vim.exe and
                  C:\Program Files\vim\vim70\gvim.exe
                  - Vim 6.4 executables are C:\Program Files\vim\vim64\vim.exe and
                  C:\Program Files\vim\vim64\gvim.exe
                  - C:\Program Files\vim\vim70 is in the $PATH
                  - Invoke vim 7.0 as vim (console) or gvim (GUI); vim6.4 as
                  %VIM%\vim64\vim (console) or %VIM%\vim64\gvim (GUI

                  Example 3, on Linux

                  - $VIM is unset
                  - Vim 7.0 runtime files are in /usr/local/share/vim/vim70 and its
                  subdirectories
                  - kvim 6.2 runtime files are in /opt/kde3/share/vim/vim62 and its
                  subdirectories
                  - Vim 7.0 executable is /usr/local/bin/vim
                  - kvim 6.2 executable is /opt/kde3/bin/kvim
                  - Invoke vim 7.0 as vim or gvim, kvim 6.2 as kvim
                  - To use a common set of "system-wide" runtime files, set up
                  /opt/kde3/share/vim/vimfiles as a soft link pointing to
                  /usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles, as follows:

                  cd /opt/kde3/share/vim
                  ln -vs /usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles

                  For all the above examples, any settings in your vimrc which is accepted
                  by one version and not the other, must be bracketed appropriately in
                  ":if" blocks, testing has(...), exists(...) and/or the Vim-variable
                  "version". In particular, the 'guifont' option has 4 totally
                  incompatible settings, and each version of gvim accepts only one of
                  them. Here is an example of how to set it "portably" in your vimrc:

                  if has('gui_running') " if we ain't got it, we shouldn't set it
                  if has('gui_gtk2') " GTK+2 only, not GTK+1
                  set gfn=B&H\ LucidaTypewriter\ 12
                  elseif has('gui_kde') " kvim (obsolete, but some are still
                  " lying around)
                  set gfn=B&H\ LucidaTypewriter/12/-1/5/50/0/0/0/1/0
                  elseif has('x11') " all other X11 versions, including GTK+1
                  set gfn=*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-*
                  else " anything else, including Windows and
                  " non-X11 Mac
                  set gfn=Lucida_Console:h12
                  endif
                  endif

                • Yakov Lerner
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
                    On 9/3/06, Boris Dinkevich <Boris@...> wrote:
                    > Hello everyone
                    >
                    > Thank you very much for your help.
                    >
                    > Unfortunately after playing more with the settings I was unable to
                    > restore the same font as were before.
                    >
                    > Is there possible to run the old executable & configuration as before
                    > the 7 installation or do I have to upgrade/downgrade to return to the
                    > old setup ?

                    There are two options here. (1) When I plan to have both vim6 and vim7,
                    i copy (or rename) vim 6 (cp /usr/bin/vim /usr/bin/vim6) before
                    installing vim7 into /usr/bin (2) If I build vim7 from sources into
                    /usr/local/bin, then I must rename vim6 either before or after
                    vim7 install (mv /usr/bin/vim /usr/bin/vim6).

                    But if you installed vim7 into /usr/bin without renaming vim6 first,
                    then you can only do (a) uninstalling vim7 (b) installing vim6
                    (c) then renaming (mv /usr/bin/vim /usr/bin/vim6) (d) then installing
                    vim7 again

                    Yakov