Re: Bits of text left over after switching splits

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 11:00 AM
      Max Dyckhoff wrote:
      > I normally run with lots of splits. Recently I started using italics for
      > various syntax highlighting (especially comments and enum tag values).
      > Since then I have noticed the ocassional pixel remaining when I switch
      > from one split to another.
      >
      > The situation where this happens is pretty reproducable. In one split
      > have a block of text with a large amount of white space at the
      > beginning, such as:
      >
      > type my_function( type parameter,
      > type parameter2,
      > type parameter3);
      >
      > Then in an adjacent split have some italicised comment text which starts
      > in the same window location as the white space, such as:
      >
      > // wibble wobble
      > // wibble wobble
      > // jelly on a plate
      >
      > When I switch from the comment split to the text split, the lower left
      > pixel of the leading / is left behind on the two lines with whitespace.
      > It does actually happen in more places than this, but that is the most
      > easily reproducable.
      >
      > If I scroll the window containing the spurious pixels then the pixels
      > scroll with the text (which is odd). If I visual select the block of
      > text, or type over the pixels, then the spurious pixels will go away.
      >
      > Any ideas what I can do to fix this? I'm on Windows XP, running vim 7.0
      > as gvim (although with none of the fancy menus or scrollbars, I just use
      > it for the colouring :)
      >
      > Max

      It may depend on your 'guifont'. Some fonts are not truly fixed-width
      all over their glyph range, and that may cause problems. I remember for
      instance, that I had "disappearing pixels" in bold Cyrillic with the
      Lucida_Console font, so now I use Courier_New for Russian.

      -- Watch out: there are 4 possible different formats for 'guifont', and
      each version of gvim accepts only one of them. (Console Vim, of course,
      accepts none of them.) The families are GTK+2, kvim, other-X11 and
      non-X11. (GTK+1, Athena, Motif, ... are part of other-X11.) So for
      instance to set 12-pitch Courier New or similar:

      if has("gui_running")
      if has("gui_gtk2")
      set gfn=Adobe\ Courier\ 12
      elseif has("gui_kde")
      set gfn=Adobe\ Courier/12
      elseif has("x11")
      set gfn=*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-*
      else
      set gfn=Courier_New:h12
      endif
      endif

      The names may vary somewhat according to what your installed fonts call
      themselves. Vary the single number in each font name to make the font
      bigger or smaller.

      On some systems ":set gfn=*" will pop up a menu of fonts; on most
      systems (with 'nocompatible') ":set gfn=<Tab>" (where <Tab> means "hit
      the tab key", not "hit the 5 keys < T a b > in succession") will allow
      to edit the current value on the command-line. (Enter to accept, Esc to
      cancel)