Re: Put the cursor in the middle of screen when replacing

  • Carlos Liu
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      On 8/2/06, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
      > > How to put cursor in the middle of screen when replacing words? I have
      > > to see the next few lines to know replace or not, but the word always
      > > sit in the bottom of the screen.
      >
      > Sounds like you're looking for the 'scrolloff' setting.
      >
      > :help 'scrolloff'
      >
      > will provide details on this. It allows you to keep a certain
      > number of lines on the screen at the same time. If you set it to
      > an outrageously high value, it will keep the cursor centered
      > vertically on the screen.

      That's exactly what I want. Thank you!

      --
      Best Regards
      Carlos
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
        Carlos Liu wrote:
        > On 8/2/06, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
        >
        >> > How to put cursor in the middle of screen when replacing words? I have
        >> > to see the next few lines to know replace or not, but the word always
        >> > sit in the bottom of the screen.
        >>
        >> Sounds like you're looking for the 'scrolloff' setting.
        >>
        >> :help 'scrolloff'
        >>
        >> will provide details on this. It allows you to keep a certain
        >> number of lines on the screen at the same time. If you set it to
        >> an outrageously high value, it will keep the cursor centered
        >> vertically on the screen.
        >>
        > That's exactly what I want. Thank you!

        This is more out of interest to increase my knowledge of vim, but
        wouldn't incorporting the 'zz' command from normal mode somehow achieve
        the same?
      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
          Robert Cussons wrote:
          > Carlos Liu wrote:

          >>> Sounds like you're looking for the 'scrolloff' setting.
          >>>
          >>> :help 'scrolloff'
          >>>
          >>> will provide details on this. It allows you to keep a certain
          >>> number of lines on the screen at the same time. If you set it to
          >>> an outrageously high value, it will keep the cursor centered
          >>> vertically on the screen.
          >>>
          >> That's exactly what I want. Thank you!
          >>

          > This is more out of interest to increase my knowledge of vim, but
          > wouldn't incorporting the 'zz' command from normal mode somehow achieve
          > the same?

          yes, but only temporarily. zz moves the current cursor line to the
          middle of the screen, then proceeds with normal editing (and, if
          inserting, the cursor will usually stray to the bottom before scrolling
          starts again). With a non-zero 'scrolloff' you can keep a user-defined
          number of "context lines" above and below the cursor line: for instance,
          with ":set scrolloff=1" Vim will always (if possible) show not only the
          cursor line but also one line on each side of it; with ":set
          scrolloff=99999" it will keep the cursor line centered and scroll the
          text as you type.