Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Automatic updating file content

Expand Messages
  • Peter Hodge
    ... Hi Tien, Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it doesn t work because CursorHold won t trigger again until you press a
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      >
      > Thank you very much for the tip. ":e" works so nicely. I will try out those
      > commands soon. Should I insert them in my vimrc file ?
      >

      Hi Tien,

      Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
      doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
      After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this
      to your .vimrc:

      function! s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
      while ! getchar(1)
      edit
      normal G
      sleep 1
      endwhile
      endfunction

      augroup RefreshFile
      autocmd!
      autocmd CursorHold somefile.log call s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
      augroup end

      The automatic refresh ('s:ReloadWhileWaiting()') only begins after Vim is idle
      for 4 seconds; after that it will reload the file ('edit'), move to the end
      ('normal G') and wait for a second before it tries again ('sleep 1'). Pressing
      any key will stop the automatic refreshing ('while ! getchar(1)'), but it will
      resume as soon as Vim is idle for 4 seconds again. I hope that's all clear and
      does what you need or that you can customize it easily.

      regards,
      Peter



      Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
    • Tien Pham
      Hi Peter Thank you very much for your time/help. The previous group of commands works really well for me already. I have enjoyed the convenience it s brought
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Peter

        Thank you very much for your time/help. The previous group of commands
        works really well for me already. I have enjoyed the convenience it's
        brought so far. A click to update the content was what I wished for, but
        now I have more than what I wished for!

        Many many thanks again
        Regards
        tien


        At 02:41 PM 2/08/2006 +1000, you wrote:
        > >
        > > Thank you very much for the tip. ":e" works so nicely. I will try out
        > those
        > > commands soon. Should I insert them in my vimrc file ?
        > >
        >
        >Hi Tien,
        >
        >Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
        >doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
        >After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this
        >to your .vimrc:
        >
        > function! s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
        > while ! getchar(1)
        > edit
        > normal G
        > sleep 1
        > endwhile
        > endfunction
        >
        > augroup RefreshFile
        > autocmd!
        > autocmd CursorHold somefile.log call s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
        > augroup end
        >
        >The automatic refresh ('s:ReloadWhileWaiting()') only begins after Vim is idle
        >for 4 seconds; after that it will reload the file ('edit'), move to the end
        >('normal G') and wait for a second before it tries again ('sleep
        >1'). Pressing
        >any key will stop the automatic refreshing ('while ! getchar(1)'), but it will
        >resume as soon as Vim is idle for 4 seconds again. I hope that's all
        >clear and
        >does what you need or that you can customize it easily.
        >
        >regards,
        >Peter
        >
        >
        >
        >Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
      • Mark Woodward
        Hi Tien, On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000 ... I think there s a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of me can t think of it! Sorry, that s not
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Tien,

          On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
          Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
          > when its content has been changed?
          >
          > Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
          > simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
          > click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
          > a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
          > much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
          > have opened, of course the same file name.
          >
          > Your help is greatly appreciated.
          > Kind regards
          > tien
          >

          I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
          me can't think of it!

          Sorry, that's not much help!

          --
          Mark
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          ... see :help timestamp and read the whole section 10. Timestamps . Best regards, Tony.
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Mark Woodward wrote:
            > Hi Tien,
            >
            > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
            > Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi all
            >>
            >> Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
            >> when its content has been changed?
            >>
            >> Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
            >> simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
            >> click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
            >> a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
            >> much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
            >> have opened, of course the same file name.
            >>
            >> Your help is greatly appreciated.
            >> Kind regards
            >> tien
            >>
            >
            > I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
            > me can't think of it!
            >
            > Sorry, that's not much help!
            >

            see ":help timestamp" and read the whole section "10. Timestamps".


            Best regards,
            Tony.
          • Charles E Campbell Jr
            ... CursorHold will fire (once) some time has elapsed after a key has been pressed. Of course, if one wishes to simply watch the file change and isn t
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              Peter Hodge wrote:

              >Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
              >doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
              >After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this
              >
              >
              CursorHold will fire (once) some time has elapsed after a key has been
              pressed. Of course, if one wishes
              to simply watch the file change and isn't pressing keys, this method
              won't work well. So, may I suggest
              that one use two vims -- one a "tickler" and one your actual display.
              This approach your vims have the
              +clientserver option compiled in.

              Here's the idea for the tickler in rough:

              1. the "actual display" vim is also started up as a server

              2. the tickler is running
              while 1
              sleep 1
              endwhile

              3. inside the tickler's while loop it also does a
              remote_send(server,":e")

              Ideally commands would only be sent when the "actual display" vim is in
              normal mode.
              Perhaps something tricky with RemoteReply autocmds, etc could be used to
              insure this.

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell
            • Tien Pham
              Hi Mark and Tony Thank you for your help, very much appreciated. Kind regards tien
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Mark and Tony

                Thank you for your help, very much appreciated.
                Kind regards
                tien


                At 12:43 PM 2/08/2006 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                >Mark Woodward wrote:
                >>Hi Tien,
                >>On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
                >>Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>>Hi all
                >>>
                >>>Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
                >>>when its content has been changed?
                >>>
                >>>Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
                >>>simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
                >>>click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
                >>>a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
                >>>much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
                >>>have opened, of course the same file name.
                >>>
                >>>Your help is greatly appreciated.
                >>>Kind regards
                >>>tien
                >>I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
                >>me can't think of it!
                >>Sorry, that's not much help!
                >
                >see ":help timestamp" and read the whole section "10. Timestamps".
                >
                >
                >Best regards,
                >Tony.
              • Tien Pham
                Hi everyone Thanks Clip for your tip. I have to say that this VIM group has so many helpful experts. For people with limited understanding in computing
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hi everyone

                  Thanks Clip for your tip.
                  I have to say that this VIM group has so many helpful experts. For people
                  with limited understanding in computing language like me, this is so great
                  and I am very grateful.

                  Regards
                  tien




                  At 12:11 PM 2/08/2006 -0400, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                  >Peter Hodge wrote:
                  >
                  >>Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
                  >>doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a
                  >>key. After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something
                  >>like this
                  >>
                  >CursorHold will fire (once) some time has elapsed after a key has been
                  >pressed. Of course, if one wishes
                  >to simply watch the file change and isn't pressing keys, this method won't
                  >work well. So, may I suggest
                  >that one use two vims -- one a "tickler" and one your actual display.
                  >This approach your vims have the
                  >+clientserver option compiled in.
                  >
                  >Here's the idea for the tickler in rough:
                  >
                  > 1. the "actual display" vim is also started up as a server
                  >
                  >2. the tickler is running
                  > while 1
                  > sleep 1
                  > endwhile
                  >
                  >3. inside the tickler's while loop it also does a
                  > remote_send(server,":e")
                  >
                  >Ideally commands would only be sent when the "actual display" vim is in
                  >normal mode.
                  >Perhaps something tricky with RemoteReply autocmds, etc could be used to
                  >insure this.
                  >
                  >Regards,
                  >Chip Campbell
                • Tien Pham
                  I am terribly sorry that I misspelled your name Chip. My apologies tien pham
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I am terribly sorry that I misspelled your name Chip.
                    My apologies
                    tien pham
                  • Charles E Campbell Jr
                    ... No problem! You should see what people do to my last name.... Chip Campbell
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Tien Pham wrote:

                      > I am terribly sorry that I misspelled your name Chip.
                      > My apologies


                      No problem! You should see what people do to my last name....
                      Chip Campbell
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.