Re: Automatic updating file content

  • Tien Pham
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Peter

      The refresh command works well. I put my log file name such as "autocmd
      CursorHold regression.log edit". Even I have a few files open at the same
      time, whenever I re-run my regression, I only need to click my
      regression.log window and new info is updated. Fantastic!

      Many thanks
      tien

      At 12:59 PM 2/08/2006 +1000, you wrote:
      >Hi Tien,
      >
      >You can use ':e[dit]' to reload the current file. Perhaps you could set up
      >something with an autocommand based on the CursorHold event and reduce the
      >updatetime to half a second? For example:
      >
      > set updatetime=500
      > augroup RefreshFile
      > autocmd!
      > autocmd CursorHold somefile.log edit
      > augroup end
      >
      >However, this may not work so well if you have multiple files open in Vim.
      >
      >regards,
      >Peter
      >

      >--- Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi all
      > >
      > > Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file when
      > its
      > > content has been changed?
      > >
      > > Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
      > simulation, as
      > > I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to click "open" and
      > > "select" the same file name to see the changes that a new simulation is
      > > recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very much if someone teach me
      > > a quick way to update content of the file I have opened, of course the
      > same
      > > file name.
      > >
      > > Your help is greatly appreciated.
      > > Kind regards
      > > tien
      > >

      >Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
    • Peter Hodge
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006

        > Thank you very much for the tip. ":e" works so nicely. I will try out those
        > commands soon. Should I insert them in my vimrc file ?

        Hi Tien,

        Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
        doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
        After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this
        to your .vimrc:

        function! s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
        while ! getchar(1)
        edit
        normal G
        sleep 1
        endwhile
        endfunction

        augroup RefreshFile
        autocmd!
        autocmd CursorHold somefile.log call s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
        augroup end

        The automatic refresh ('s:ReloadWhileWaiting()') only begins after Vim is idle
        for 4 seconds; after that it will reload the file ('edit'), move to the end
        ('normal G') and wait for a second before it tries again ('sleep 1'). Pressing
        any key will stop the automatic refreshing ('while ! getchar(1)'), but it will
        resume as soon as Vim is idle for 4 seconds again. I hope that's all clear and
        does what you need or that you can customize it easily.

        regards,
        Peter

      • Tien Pham
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
          Hi Peter

          Thank you very much for your time/help. The previous group of commands
          works really well for me already. I have enjoyed the convenience it's
          brought so far. A click to update the content was what I wished for, but
          now I have more than what I wished for!

          Many many thanks again
          Regards
          tien

          At 02:41 PM 2/08/2006 +1000, you wrote:

          > > Thank you very much for the tip. ":e" works so nicely. I will try out
          > those
          > > commands soon. Should I insert them in my vimrc file ?
          > >

          >Hi Tien,
          >
          >Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
          >doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
          >After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this
          >to your .vimrc:
          >
          > function! s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
          > while ! getchar(1)
          > edit
          > normal G
          > sleep 1
          > endwhile
          > endfunction
          >
          > augroup RefreshFile
          > autocmd!
          > autocmd CursorHold somefile.log call s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
          > augroup end
          >
          >The automatic refresh ('s:ReloadWhileWaiting()') only begins after Vim is idle
          >for 4 seconds; after that it will reload the file ('edit'), move to the end
          >('normal G') and wait for a second before it tries again ('sleep
          >1'). Pressing
          >any key will stop the automatic refreshing ('while ! getchar(1)'), but it will
          >resume as soon as Vim is idle for 4 seconds again. I hope that's all
          >clear and
          >does what you need or that you can customize it easily.
          >
          >regards,
          >Peter
          >

          >Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
        • Mark Woodward
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
            Hi Tien,

            On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
            Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:

            > Hi all
            >
            > Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
            > when its content has been changed?
            >
            > Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
            > simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
            > click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
            > a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
            > much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
            > have opened, of course the same file name.
            >
            > Your help is greatly appreciated.
            > Kind regards
            > tien

            I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
            me can't think of it!

            Sorry, that's not much help!

            --
            Mark
          • A.J.Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
              Mark Woodward wrote:
              > Hi Tien,
              >
              > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
              > Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hi all
              >>
              >> Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
              >> when its content has been changed?
              >>
              >> Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
              >> simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
              >> click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
              >> a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
              >> much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
              >> have opened, of course the same file name.
              >>
              >> Your help is greatly appreciated.
              >> Kind regards
              >> tien
              >>

              > I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
              > me can't think of it!
              >
              > Sorry, that's not much help!

              see ":help timestamp" and read the whole section "10. Timestamps".

            • Charles E Campbell Jr
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                Peter Hodge wrote:

                >Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
                >doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
                >After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this

                CursorHold will fire (once) some time has elapsed after a key has been
                pressed. Of course, if one wishes
                to simply watch the file change and isn't pressing keys, this method
                won't work well. So, may I suggest
                that one use two vims -- one a "tickler" and one your actual display.
                This approach your vims have the
                +clientserver option compiled in.

                Here's the idea for the tickler in rough:

                1. the "actual display" vim is also started up as a server

                2. the tickler is running
                while 1
                sleep 1
                endwhile

                3. inside the tickler's while loop it also does a
                remote_send(server,":e")

                Ideally commands would only be sent when the "actual display" vim is in
                normal mode.
                Perhaps something tricky with RemoteReply autocmds, etc could be used to
                insure this.

                Regards,
                Chip Campbell
              • Tien Pham
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Hi Mark and Tony

                  Thank you for your help, very much appreciated.
                  Kind regards
                  tien

                  At 12:43 PM 2/08/2006 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                  >Mark Woodward wrote:
                  >>Hi Tien,
                  >>On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
                  >>Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>>Hi all
                  >>>
                  >>>Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
                  >>>when its content has been changed?
                  >>>
                  >>>Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
                  >>>simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
                  >>>click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
                  >>>a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
                  >>>much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
                  >>>have opened, of course the same file name.
                  >>>
                  >>>Your help is greatly appreciated.
                  >>>Kind regards
                  >>>tien
                  >>I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
                  >>me can't think of it!
                  >>Sorry, that's not much help!
                  >
                  >see ":help timestamp" and read the whole section "10. Timestamps".
                  >

                  >Best regards,
                  >Tony.
                • Tien Pham
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Hi everyone

                    Thanks Clip for your tip.
                    I have to say that this VIM group has so many helpful experts. For people
                    with limited understanding in computing language like me, this is so great
                    and I am very grateful.

                    Regards
                    tien

                    At 12:11 PM 2/08/2006 -0400, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                    >Peter Hodge wrote:
                    >
                    >>Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
                    >>doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a
                    >>key. After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something
                    >>like this
                    >>
                    >CursorHold will fire (once) some time has elapsed after a key has been
                    >pressed. Of course, if one wishes
                    >to simply watch the file change and isn't pressing keys, this method won't
                    >work well. So, may I suggest
                    >that one use two vims -- one a "tickler" and one your actual display.
                    >This approach your vims have the
                    >+clientserver option compiled in.
                    >
                    >Here's the idea for the tickler in rough:
                    >
                    > 1. the "actual display" vim is also started up as a server
                    >
                    >2. the tickler is running
                    > while 1
                    > sleep 1
                    > endwhile
                    >
                    >3. inside the tickler's while loop it also does a
                    > remote_send(server,":e")
                    >
                    >Ideally commands would only be sent when the "actual display" vim is in
                    >normal mode.
                    >Perhaps something tricky with RemoteReply autocmds, etc could be used to
                    >insure this.
                    >
                    >Regards,
                    >Chip Campbell
                  • Tien Pham
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                      I am terribly sorry that I misspelled your name Chip.
                      My apologies
                      tien pham
                    • Charles E Campbell Jr
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                        Tien Pham wrote:

                        > I am terribly sorry that I misspelled your name Chip.
                        > My apologies

                        No problem! You should see what people do to my last name....
                        Chip Campbell