Re: Automatic updating file content

  • Tien Pham
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Peter

      Thank you very much for the tip. ":e" works so nicely. I will try out those
      commands soon. Should I insert them in my vimrc file ?

      Again, many thanks
      tien

      At 12:59 PM 2/08/2006 +1000, Peter Hodge wrote:
      >Hi Tien,
      >
      >You can use ':e[dit]' to reload the current file. Perhaps you could set up
      >something with an autocommand based on the CursorHold event and reduce the
      >updatetime to half a second? For example:
      >
      > set updatetime=500
      > augroup RefreshFile
      > autocmd!
      > autocmd CursorHold somefile.log edit
      > augroup end
      >
      >However, this may not work so well if you have multiple files open in Vim.
      >
      >regards,
      >Peter
      >

      >--- Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi all
      > >
      > > Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file when
      > its
      > > content has been changed?
      > >
      > > Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
      > simulation, as
      > > I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to click "open" and
      > > "select" the same file name to see the changes that a new simulation is
      > > recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very much if someone teach me
      > > a quick way to update content of the file I have opened, of course the
      > same
      > > file name.
      > >
      > > Your help is greatly appreciated.
      > > Kind regards
      > > tien
      > >

      >Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
    • Tien Pham
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Peter

        The refresh command works well. I put my log file name such as "autocmd
        CursorHold regression.log edit". Even I have a few files open at the same
        time, whenever I re-run my regression, I only need to click my
        regression.log window and new info is updated. Fantastic!

        Many thanks
        tien

        At 12:59 PM 2/08/2006 +1000, you wrote:
        >Hi Tien,
        >
        >You can use ':e[dit]' to reload the current file. Perhaps you could set up
        >something with an autocommand based on the CursorHold event and reduce the
        >updatetime to half a second? For example:
        >
        > set updatetime=500
        > augroup RefreshFile
        > autocmd!
        > autocmd CursorHold somefile.log edit
        > augroup end
        >
        >However, this may not work so well if you have multiple files open in Vim.
        >
        >regards,
        >Peter
        >

        >--- Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi all
        > >
        > > Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file when
        > its
        > > content has been changed?
        > >
        > > Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
        > simulation, as
        > > I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to click "open" and
        > > "select" the same file name to see the changes that a new simulation is
        > > recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very much if someone teach me
        > > a quick way to update content of the file I have opened, of course the
        > same
        > > file name.
        > >
        > > Your help is greatly appreciated.
        > > Kind regards
        > > tien
        > >

        >Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
      • Peter Hodge
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006

          > Thank you very much for the tip. ":e" works so nicely. I will try out those
          > commands soon. Should I insert them in my vimrc file ?

          Hi Tien,

          Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
          doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
          After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this
          to your .vimrc:

          function! s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
          while ! getchar(1)
          edit
          normal G
          sleep 1
          endwhile
          endfunction

          augroup RefreshFile
          autocmd!
          autocmd CursorHold somefile.log call s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
          augroup end

          The automatic refresh ('s:ReloadWhileWaiting()') only begins after Vim is idle
          for 4 seconds; after that it will reload the file ('edit'), move to the end
          ('normal G') and wait for a second before it tries again ('sleep 1'). Pressing
          any key will stop the automatic refreshing ('while ! getchar(1)'), but it will
          resume as soon as Vim is idle for 4 seconds again. I hope that's all clear and
          does what you need or that you can customize it easily.

          regards,
          Peter

        • Tien Pham
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
            Hi Peter

            Thank you very much for your time/help. The previous group of commands
            works really well for me already. I have enjoyed the convenience it's
            brought so far. A click to update the content was what I wished for, but
            now I have more than what I wished for!

            Many many thanks again
            Regards
            tien

            At 02:41 PM 2/08/2006 +1000, you wrote:

            > > Thank you very much for the tip. ":e" works so nicely. I will try out
            > those
            > > commands soon. Should I insert them in my vimrc file ?
            > >

            >Hi Tien,
            >
            >Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
            >doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
            >After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this
            >to your .vimrc:
            >
            > function! s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
            > while ! getchar(1)
            > edit
            > normal G
            > sleep 1
            > endwhile
            > endfunction
            >
            > augroup RefreshFile
            > autocmd!
            > autocmd CursorHold somefile.log call s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
            > augroup end
            >
            >The automatic refresh ('s:ReloadWhileWaiting()') only begins after Vim is idle
            >for 4 seconds; after that it will reload the file ('edit'), move to the end
            >('normal G') and wait for a second before it tries again ('sleep
            >1'). Pressing
            >any key will stop the automatic refreshing ('while ! getchar(1)'), but it will
            >resume as soon as Vim is idle for 4 seconds again. I hope that's all
            >clear and
            >does what you need or that you can customize it easily.
            >
            >regards,
            >Peter
            >

            >Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
          • Mark Woodward
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
              Hi Tien,

              On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
              Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:

              > Hi all
              >
              > Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
              > when its content has been changed?
              >
              > Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
              > simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
              > click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
              > a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
              > much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
              > have opened, of course the same file name.
              >
              > Your help is greatly appreciated.
              > Kind regards
              > tien

              I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
              me can't think of it!

              Sorry, that's not much help!

              --
              Mark
            • A.J.Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                Mark Woodward wrote:
                > Hi Tien,
                >
                > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
                > Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hi all
                >>
                >> Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
                >> when its content has been changed?
                >>
                >> Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
                >> simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
                >> click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
                >> a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
                >> much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
                >> have opened, of course the same file name.
                >>
                >> Your help is greatly appreciated.
                >> Kind regards
                >> tien
                >>

                > I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
                > me can't think of it!
                >
                > Sorry, that's not much help!

                see ":help timestamp" and read the whole section "10. Timestamps".

              • Charles E Campbell Jr
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Peter Hodge wrote:

                  >Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
                  >doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
                  >After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this

                  CursorHold will fire (once) some time has elapsed after a key has been
                  pressed. Of course, if one wishes
                  to simply watch the file change and isn't pressing keys, this method
                  won't work well. So, may I suggest
                  that one use two vims -- one a "tickler" and one your actual display.
                  This approach your vims have the
                  +clientserver option compiled in.

                  Here's the idea for the tickler in rough:

                  1. the "actual display" vim is also started up as a server

                  2. the tickler is running
                  while 1
                  sleep 1
                  endwhile

                  3. inside the tickler's while loop it also does a
                  remote_send(server,":e")

                  Ideally commands would only be sent when the "actual display" vim is in
                  normal mode.
                  Perhaps something tricky with RemoteReply autocmds, etc could be used to
                  insure this.

                  Regards,
                  Chip Campbell
                • Tien Pham
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Hi Mark and Tony

                    Thank you for your help, very much appreciated.
                    Kind regards
                    tien

                    At 12:43 PM 2/08/2006 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                    >Mark Woodward wrote:
                    >>Hi Tien,
                    >>On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
                    >>Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>>Hi all
                    >>>
                    >>>Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
                    >>>when its content has been changed?
                    >>>
                    >>>Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
                    >>>simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
                    >>>click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
                    >>>a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
                    >>>much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
                    >>>have opened, of course the same file name.
                    >>>
                    >>>Your help is greatly appreciated.
                    >>>Kind regards
                    >>>tien
                    >>I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
                    >>me can't think of it!
                    >>Sorry, that's not much help!
                    >
                    >see ":help timestamp" and read the whole section "10. Timestamps".
                    >

                    >Best regards,
                    >Tony.
                  • Tien Pham
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Hi everyone

                      Thanks Clip for your tip.
                      I have to say that this VIM group has so many helpful experts. For people
                      with limited understanding in computing language like me, this is so great
                      and I am very grateful.

                      Regards
                      tien

                      At 12:11 PM 2/08/2006 -0400, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                      >Peter Hodge wrote:
                      >
                      >>Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
                      >>doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a
                      >>key. After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something
                      >>like this
                      >>
                      >CursorHold will fire (once) some time has elapsed after a key has been
                      >pressed. Of course, if one wishes
                      >to simply watch the file change and isn't pressing keys, this method won't
                      >work well. So, may I suggest
                      >that one use two vims -- one a "tickler" and one your actual display.
                      >This approach your vims have the
                      >+clientserver option compiled in.
                      >
                      >Here's the idea for the tickler in rough:
                      >
                      > 1. the "actual display" vim is also started up as a server
                      >
                      >2. the tickler is running
                      > while 1
                      > sleep 1
                      > endwhile
                      >
                      >3. inside the tickler's while loop it also does a
                      > remote_send(server,":e")
                      >
                      >Ideally commands would only be sent when the "actual display" vim is in
                      >normal mode.
                      >Perhaps something tricky with RemoteReply autocmds, etc could be used to
                      >insure this.
                      >
                      >Regards,
                      >Chip Campbell
                    • Tien Pham
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                        I am terribly sorry that I misspelled your name Chip.
                        My apologies
                        tien pham
                      • Charles E Campbell Jr
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                          Tien Pham wrote:

                          > I am terribly sorry that I misspelled your name Chip.
                          > My apologies

                          No problem! You should see what people do to my last name....
                          Chip Campbell