Automatic updating file content

  • Tien Pham
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi all

      Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file when its
      content has been changed?

      Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a simulation, as
      I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to click "open" and
      "select" the same file name to see the changes that a new simulation is
      recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very much if someone teach me
      a quick way to update content of the file I have opened, of course the same
      file name.

      Your help is greatly appreciated.
      Kind regards
      tien
    • Peter Hodge
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Tien,

        You can use ':e[dit]' to reload the current file. Perhaps you could set up
        something with an autocommand based on the CursorHold event and reduce the
        updatetime to half a second? For example:

        set updatetime=500
        augroup RefreshFile
        autocmd!
        autocmd CursorHold somefile.log edit
        augroup end

        However, this may not work so well if you have multiple files open in Vim.

        regards,
        Peter

        --- Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file when its
        > content has been changed?
        >
        > Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a simulation, as
        > I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to click "open" and
        > "select" the same file name to see the changes that a new simulation is
        > recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very much if someone teach me
        > a quick way to update content of the file I have opened, of course the same
        > file name.
        >
        > Your help is greatly appreciated.
        > Kind regards
        > tien

      • Tien Pham
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
          Hi Peter

          Thank you very much for the tip. ":e" works so nicely. I will try out those
          commands soon. Should I insert them in my vimrc file ?

          Again, many thanks
          tien

          At 12:59 PM 2/08/2006 +1000, Peter Hodge wrote:
          >Hi Tien,
          >
          >You can use ':e[dit]' to reload the current file. Perhaps you could set up
          >something with an autocommand based on the CursorHold event and reduce the
          >updatetime to half a second? For example:
          >
          > set updatetime=500
          > augroup RefreshFile
          > autocmd!
          > autocmd CursorHold somefile.log edit
          > augroup end
          >
          >However, this may not work so well if you have multiple files open in Vim.
          >
          >regards,
          >Peter
          >

          >--- Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all
          > >
          > > Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file when
          > its
          > > content has been changed?
          > >
          > > Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
          > simulation, as
          > > I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to click "open" and
          > > "select" the same file name to see the changes that a new simulation is
          > > recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very much if someone teach me
          > > a quick way to update content of the file I have opened, of course the
          > same
          > > file name.
          > >
          > > Your help is greatly appreciated.
          > > Kind regards
          > > tien
          > >

          >Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
        • Tien Pham
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
            Hi Peter

            The refresh command works well. I put my log file name such as "autocmd
            CursorHold regression.log edit". Even I have a few files open at the same
            time, whenever I re-run my regression, I only need to click my
            regression.log window and new info is updated. Fantastic!

            Many thanks
            tien

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006

              > Thank you very much for the tip. ":e" works so nicely. I will try out those
              > commands soon. Should I insert them in my vimrc file ?

              Hi Tien,

              Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
              doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
              After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this
              to your .vimrc:

              function! s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
              while ! getchar(1)
              edit
              normal G
              sleep 1
              endwhile
              endfunction

              augroup RefreshFile
              autocmd!
              autocmd CursorHold somefile.log call s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
              augroup end

              The automatic refresh ('s:ReloadWhileWaiting()') only begins after Vim is idle
              for 4 seconds; after that it will reload the file ('edit'), move to the end
              ('normal G') and wait for a second before it tries again ('sleep 1'). Pressing
              any key will stop the automatic refreshing ('while ! getchar(1)'), but it will
              resume as soon as Vim is idle for 4 seconds again. I hope that's all clear and
              does what you need or that you can customize it easily.

              regards,
              Peter

            • Tien Pham
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2006
                Hi Peter

                Thank you very much for your time/help. The previous group of commands
                works really well for me already. I have enjoyed the convenience it's
                brought so far. A click to update the content was what I wished for, but
                now I have more than what I wished for!

                Many many thanks again
                Regards
                tien

                At 02:41 PM 2/08/2006 +1000, you wrote:

                > > Thank you very much for the tip. ":e" works so nicely. I will try out
                > those
                > > commands soon. Should I insert them in my vimrc file ?
                > >

                >Hi Tien,
                >
                >Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
                >doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
                >After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this
                >to your .vimrc:
                >
                > function! s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
                > while ! getchar(1)
                > edit
                > normal G
                > sleep 1
                > endwhile
                > endfunction
                >
                > augroup RefreshFile
                > autocmd!
                > autocmd CursorHold somefile.log call s:ReloadWhileWaiting()
                > augroup end
                >
                >The automatic refresh ('s:ReloadWhileWaiting()') only begins after Vim is idle
                >for 4 seconds; after that it will reload the file ('edit'), move to the end
                >('normal G') and wait for a second before it tries again ('sleep
                >1'). Pressing
                >any key will stop the automatic refreshing ('while ! getchar(1)'), but it will
                >resume as soon as Vim is idle for 4 seconds again. I hope that's all
                >clear and
                >does what you need or that you can customize it easily.
                >
                >regards,
                >Peter
                >

                >Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com
              • Mark Woodward
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Hi Tien,

                  On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
                  Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all
                  >
                  > Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
                  > when its content has been changed?
                  >
                  > Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
                  > simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
                  > click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
                  > a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
                  > much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
                  > have opened, of course the same file name.
                  >
                  > Your help is greatly appreciated.
                  > Kind regards
                  > tien

                  I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
                  me can't think of it!

                  Sorry, that's not much help!

                  --
                  Mark
                • A.J.Mechelynck
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Mark Woodward wrote:
                    > Hi Tien,
                    >
                    > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
                    > Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hi all
                    >>
                    >> Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
                    >> when its content has been changed?
                    >>
                    >> Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
                    >> simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
                    >> click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
                    >> a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
                    >> much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
                    >> have opened, of course the same file name.
                    >>
                    >> Your help is greatly appreciated.
                    >> Kind regards
                    >> tien
                    >>

                    > I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
                    > me can't think of it!
                    >
                    > Sorry, that's not much help!

                    see ":help timestamp" and read the whole section "10. Timestamps".

                  • Charles E Campbell Jr
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Peter Hodge wrote:

                      >Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
                      >doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a key.
                      >After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something like this

                      CursorHold will fire (once) some time has elapsed after a key has been
                      pressed. Of course, if one wishes
                      to simply watch the file change and isn't pressing keys, this method
                      won't work well. So, may I suggest
                      that one use two vims -- one a "tickler" and one your actual display.
                      This approach your vims have the
                      +clientserver option compiled in.

                      Here's the idea for the tickler in rough:

                      1. the "actual display" vim is also started up as a server

                      2. the tickler is running
                      while 1
                      sleep 1
                      endwhile

                      3. inside the tickler's while loop it also does a
                      remote_send(server,":e")

                      Ideally commands would only be sent when the "actual display" vim is in
                      normal mode.
                      Perhaps something tricky with RemoteReply autocmds, etc could be used to
                      insure this.

                      Regards,
                      Chip Campbell
                    • Tien Pham
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                        Hi Mark and Tony

                        Thank you for your help, very much appreciated.
                        Kind regards
                        tien

                        At 12:43 PM 2/08/2006 +0200, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
                        >Mark Woodward wrote:
                        >>Hi Tien,
                        >>On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:09:39 +1000
                        >>Tien Pham <t.ducpham@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >>>Hi all
                        >>>
                        >>>Is there any key stroke to update content of a currently open file
                        >>>when its content has been changed?
                        >>>
                        >>>Reason for this is that I want to look at my log file from a
                        >>>simulation, as I run simulation so frequently, it is so tedious to
                        >>>click "open" and "select" the same file name to see the changes that
                        >>>a new simulation is recorded in the log file. I would appreciate very
                        >>>much if someone teach me a quick way to update content of the file I
                        >>>have opened, of course the same file name.
                        >>>
                        >>>Your help is greatly appreciated.
                        >>>Kind regards
                        >>>tien
                        >>I think there's a setting to reload a changed file but for the life of
                        >>me can't think of it!
                        >>Sorry, that's not much help!
                        >
                        >see ":help timestamp" and read the whole section "10. Timestamps".
                        >

                        >Best regards,
                        >Tony.
                      • Tien Pham
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                          Hi everyone

                          Thanks Clip for your tip.
                          I have to say that this VIM group has so many helpful experts. For people
                          with limited understanding in computing language like me, this is so great
                          and I am very grateful.

                          Regards
                          tien

                          At 12:11 PM 2/08/2006 -0400, Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
                          >Peter Hodge wrote:
                          >
                          >>Sorry, it seems I was a little naive with that autocommand I showed you, it
                          >>doesn't work because CursorHold won't trigger again until you press a
                          >>key. After a little experimentation, I think you would best add something
                          >>like this
                          >>
                          >CursorHold will fire (once) some time has elapsed after a key has been
                          >pressed. Of course, if one wishes
                          >to simply watch the file change and isn't pressing keys, this method won't
                          >work well. So, may I suggest
                          >that one use two vims -- one a "tickler" and one your actual display.
                          >This approach your vims have the
                          >+clientserver option compiled in.
                          >
                          >Here's the idea for the tickler in rough:
                          >
                          > 1. the "actual display" vim is also started up as a server
                          >
                          >2. the tickler is running
                          > while 1
                          > sleep 1
                          > endwhile
                          >
                          >3. inside the tickler's while loop it also does a
                          > remote_send(server,":e")
                          >
                          >Ideally commands would only be sent when the "actual display" vim is in
                          >normal mode.
                          >Perhaps something tricky with RemoteReply autocmds, etc could be used to
                          >insure this.
                          >
                          >Regards,
                          >Chip Campbell
                        • Tien Pham
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 2, 2006
                            I am terribly sorry that I misspelled your name Chip.
                            My apologies
                            tien pham
                          • Charles E Campbell Jr
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 3, 2006
                              Tien Pham wrote:

                              > I am terribly sorry that I misspelled your name Chip.
                              > My apologies

                              No problem! You should see what people do to my last name....
                              Chip Campbell