Put the cursor in the middle of screen when replacing

  • Carlos Liu
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 6:25 PM

      How to put cursor in the middle of screen when replacing words? I have
      to see the next few lines to know replace or not, but the word always
      sit in the bottom of the screen.

      Thanks.

      --
      Best Regards
      Carlos
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 7:35 PM
        > How to put cursor in the middle of screen when replacing words? I have
        > to see the next few lines to know replace or not, but the word always
        > sit in the bottom of the screen.

        Sounds like you're looking for the 'scrolloff' setting.

        :help 'scrolloff'

        will provide details on this. It allows you to keep a certain
        number of lines on the screen at the same time. If you set it to
        an outrageously high value, it will keep the cursor centered
        vertically on the screen.

        -tkc
      • Carlos Liu
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 10:21 PM
          On 8/2/06, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
          > > How to put cursor in the middle of screen when replacing words? I have
          > > to see the next few lines to know replace or not, but the word always
          > > sit in the bottom of the screen.
          >
          > Sounds like you're looking for the 'scrolloff' setting.
          >
          > :help 'scrolloff'
          >
          > will provide details on this. It allows you to keep a certain
          > number of lines on the screen at the same time. If you set it to
          > an outrageously high value, it will keep the cursor centered
          > vertically on the screen.

          That's exactly what I want. Thank you!

          --
          Best Regards
          Carlos
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2 12:51 AM
            Carlos Liu wrote:
            > On 8/2/06, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
            >
            >> > How to put cursor in the middle of screen when replacing words? I have
            >> > to see the next few lines to know replace or not, but the word always
            >> > sit in the bottom of the screen.
            >>
            >> Sounds like you're looking for the 'scrolloff' setting.
            >>
            >> :help 'scrolloff'
            >>
            >> will provide details on this. It allows you to keep a certain
            >> number of lines on the screen at the same time. If you set it to
            >> an outrageously high value, it will keep the cursor centered
            >> vertically on the screen.
            >>
            > That's exactly what I want. Thank you!

            This is more out of interest to increase my knowledge of vim, but
            wouldn't incorporting the 'zz' command from normal mode somehow achieve
            the same?
          • A.J.Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2 3:18 AM
              Robert Cussons wrote:
              > Carlos Liu wrote:

              >>> Sounds like you're looking for the 'scrolloff' setting.
              >>>
              >>> :help 'scrolloff'
              >>>
              >>> will provide details on this. It allows you to keep a certain
              >>> number of lines on the screen at the same time. If you set it to
              >>> an outrageously high value, it will keep the cursor centered
              >>> vertically on the screen.
              >>>
              >> That's exactly what I want. Thank you!
              >>

              > This is more out of interest to increase my knowledge of vim, but
              > wouldn't incorporting the 'zz' command from normal mode somehow achieve
              > the same?

              yes, but only temporarily. zz moves the current cursor line to the
              middle of the screen, then proceeds with normal editing (and, if
              inserting, the cursor will usually stray to the bottom before scrolling
              starts again). With a non-zero 'scrolloff' you can keep a user-defined
              number of "context lines" above and below the cursor line: for instance,
              with ":set scrolloff=1" Vim will always (if possible) show not only the
              cursor line but also one line on each side of it; with ":set
              scrolloff=99999" it will keep the cursor line centered and scroll the
              text as you type.