Re: netrw v103b - No longer can browse directories

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
      David Fishburn wrote:

      >I don't like modifying files in the $VIM directory.
      >
      >I tried this and it still did not fix the problem on my machine (I still
      >cannot browse the files in my directory).
      >
      >I also get this:
      >:pwd
      >C:\
      >
      >:e .
      >"C:\" Illegal file name

      Please remove all the older versions of netrw prior to installing the
      latest versions of netrw.

      The "Illegal file name" message comes up before netrw has anything to do
      with handling it.
      However, I see that there's an unwanted "Press ENTER..." prompt. I want
      to get rid of that;
      if there's some ideas on this, please let me know.

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell
    • Hugo Ahlenius
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
        Hi Charles,

        Thanks for the response, I have just updated vimball + netrw again...

        | >* URLs with question marks in them, like
        | >http://www.grida.no/products.cfm?pageID=13
        | I just tried it; this appears to work (under linux). Is there still a
        | problem with windows/cygwin?

        This is still a problem under windows/non-cygwin (I haven't tried under
        cygwin). I get "E480: No match[...]"

        | >* FTP listings from a windows ftp server
        | I think the current version addresses this.

        I just tried, and it doesn't seem like that. MS Windows IIS/ftp server
        return a non-standard directory listing by default (can be set to do a
        unix-type dir listing), and netrw is not parsing them properly. This should
        be easy to test, one just needs to start up the ftp service on a windows
        machine to see this...

        | >* a http url with a trailing slash starts an ftp session, like
        | >http://maps.grida.no/arctic/
        | The trailing slash indicates to netrw that its supposed to be handling
        | a directory. Netrw only supports two methods for browsing
        | directories: ftp and ssh. If the file transfer protocol is either http
        | or ftp, then ftp is used (for browsing). If the file transfer
        | protocol is anything else, then ssh is used. Attempts to use wget or
        | curl (two of the programs used to handle http://... ) doesn't yield a
        | listing.
        | Perhaps you want netrw to attach an "index.html" automatically?

        The "http" prefix should tell that this is a URL that should be retrieved
        using the http protocol and nothing else. A URL with a trailing slash is
        still a fully valid URL, and doesn't not signify directories or anything
        like that on the www. I would really like netrw to just pass any
        http-prefixed URLs directly to curl/wget, and definately not attaching
        anything to them! :)

        Cheers and thanks,
        Hugo

        --
        Hugo Ahlenius
        fraxinus (at) oxel.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
          Hugo Ahlenius wrote:
          > Hi Charles,
          >
          > Thanks for the response, I have just updated vimball + netrw again...
          >
          > | >* URLs with question marks in them, like
          > | >http://www.grida.no/products.cfm?pageID=13
          > | I just tried it; this appears to work (under linux). Is there still a
          > | problem with windows/cygwin?
          >
          > This is still a problem under windows/non-cygwin (I haven't tried under
          > cygwin). I get "E480: No match[...]"
          >
          > | >* FTP listings from a windows ftp server
          > | I think the current version addresses this.
          >
          > I just tried, and it doesn't seem like that. MS Windows IIS/ftp server
          > return a non-standard directory listing by default (can be set to do a
          > unix-type dir listing), and netrw is not parsing them properly. This should
          > be easy to test, one just needs to start up the ftp service on a windows
          > machine to see this...
          >
          > | >* a http url with a trailing slash starts an ftp session, like
          > | >http://maps.grida.no/arctic/
          > | The trailing slash indicates to netrw that its supposed to be handling
          > | a directory. Netrw only supports two methods for browsing
          > | directories: ftp and ssh. If the file transfer protocol is either http
          > | or ftp, then ftp is used (for browsing). If the file transfer
          > | protocol is anything else, then ssh is used. Attempts to use wget or
          > | curl (two of the programs used to handle http://... ) doesn't yield a
          > | listing.
          > | Perhaps you want netrw to attach an "index.html" automatically?
          >
          > The "http" prefix should tell that this is a URL that should be retrieved
          > using the http protocol and nothing else. A URL with a trailing slash is
          > still a fully valid URL, and doesn't not signify directories or anything
          > like that on the www. I would really like netrw to just pass any
          > http-prefixed URLs directly to curl/wget, and definately not attaching
          > anything to them! :)
          >
          > Cheers and thanks,
          > Hugo
          >
          > --
          > Hugo Ahlenius
          > fraxinus (at) oxel.net
          > http://www.oxel.net

          IIUC, when an http: URL ends in a slash, or when it names a directory
          even without a slash, the server retrieves the default page (if any) in
          the directory in question; and it is up to the server to determine what
          this default page shall be. On user sites of my ISP, the default page is
          one of index.htm, INDEX.HTM, index.html or INDEX.HTML, whichever is
          present, or if none is, a server page saying "The page you are trying to
          access is not present on this server" with the ISP logo and
          blue-and-white color scheme; but I've seen other sites where the default
          page is named index.php, default.html, ... You never get a directory
          listing unless the default page itself includes a directory listing
          (e.g., at http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.0/ you get the contents
          of the README file _plus_ a directory listing in HTML).

          I don't know if this could raise problems with netrw, and of what kind.

        • Hugo Ahlenius
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006

            Yep. It is all up to the server, the http protocol doesn't really recognize
            concepts such as directories or files, it is URLs. A trailing slash could
            return a 30x redirect to a file (such as index|default.xxx) or return a html
            web-page. That page, might look like a directory listing, as that
            ftp.vim.org example - but the client or the protocol doesn't recognize it as
            anything other than a normal http request...

            /Hugo
          • Charles E Campbell Jr
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
              Hugo Ahlenius wrote:

              >The "http" prefix should tell that this is a URL that should be retrieved
              >using the http protocol and nothing else. A URL with a trailing slash is
              >still a fully valid URL, and doesn't not signify directories or anything
              >like that on the www. I would really like netrw to just pass any
              >http-prefixed URLs directly to curl/wget, and definately not attaching
              >anything to them! :)

              Hmm, well using your example (http://www.grida.no/arctic/) both curl and wget
              yield an empty file.

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell
            • Hugo Ahlenius
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                |Hmm, well using your example (http://www.grida.no/arctic/) both curl
                |and wget yield an empty file.

                Maybe that was a very bad example, if you look at the headers in curl, that
                yields a 302 redirect and not an empty page (which should be a 404) - my
                wget follows that redirect (there might be a switch for curl to do that as
                well). Try something else:
                http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/
                http://maps.grida.no/
                http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/