RE: netrw v103b

  • Hugo Ahlenius
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
      | Do you still have the distribution copy of netrw v98 installed to
      | $vimruntime?

      Yes I had -- your change did it!

      Thanks,
      Hugo
    • Charles E Campbell Jr
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hugo Ahlenius wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I just upgraded netrw to netrw 103b from Charles Campbell's web-site. Now it
        >seems like opening a directory by just trying to edit it doesn't work, like
        >it used to:
        > :e c:\
        >
        >Could there be an autocommand that is missing? The only message I get is
        >"Illegal file name". Browsing directories works through the "Explore"
        >command though.

        Be sure to remove all previous installations of netrw. The current
        version (v103c as of last night)
        and subsequent vim distributions should no longer have this problem.
        After removal of all previous
        installations of netrw, in particular the netrw that is made available
        from the standard vim distribution,
        then do a netrw install.

        Also: there's been a small change in vimballs; you'll need the latest
        vimball plugin to handle it properly.
        The vimball v18a is backwards compatible -- ie. it can read older
        vimballs, but v17 and earlier vimball
        will have trouble with the newer vimballs.

        >Charles -- if you read this, here are some things that are still outstanding
        >-- do you have any plans to fix these?
        >
        >* URLs with question marks in them, like
        >http://www.grida.no/products.cfm?pageID=13

        I just tried it; this appears to work (under linux). Is there still a
        problem with windows/cygwin?

        >* FTP listings from a windows ftp server

        I think the current version addresses this.

        >* a http url with a trailing slash starts an ftp session, like
        >http://maps.grida.no/arctic/

        The trailing slash indicates to netrw that its supposed to be handling a
        directory. Netrw only supports
        two methods for browsing directories: ftp and ssh. If the file transfer
        protocol is either http or ftp,
        then ftp is used (for browsing). If the file transfer protocol is
        anything else, then ssh is used. Attempts
        to use wget or curl (two of the programs used to handle http://... )
        doesn't yield a listing. Perhaps you
        want netrw to attach an "index.html" automatically?

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell
      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
          > On Tue 1-Aug-06 1:52am -0600, Hugo Ahlenius wrote:
          >
          > > I just upgraded netrw to netrw 103b from Charles Campbell's
          > web-site.
          > > Now it seems like opening a directory by just trying to edit it
          > > doesn't work, like it used to:
          > > :e c:\

          I am having a similar issue, but I am using 102 from the main Vim website:

          > If so, either remove it (all 6 files) or make the following
          > change to $vim\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim:
          >
          > Replace (right after the "Load Once" line):
          >
          > if exists("g:loaded_netrw")
          > finish
          > endif
          >
          > with:
          >
          > if exists("g:loaded_netrwPlugin")
          > finish
          > endif
          > let g:loaded_netrwPlugin = 1

          I don't like modifying files in the $VIM directory.

          I tried this and it still did not fix the problem on my machine (I still
          cannot browse the files in my directory).

          I also get this:
          :pwd
          C:\

          :e .
          "C:\" Illegal file name

          Dave
        • Charles E Campbell Jr
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
            David Fishburn wrote:

            >I don't like modifying files in the $VIM directory.
            >
            >I tried this and it still did not fix the problem on my machine (I still
            >cannot browse the files in my directory).
            >
            >I also get this:
            >:pwd
            >C:\
            >
            >:e .
            >"C:\" Illegal file name

            Please remove all the older versions of netrw prior to installing the
            latest versions of netrw.

            The "Illegal file name" message comes up before netrw has anything to do
            with handling it.
            However, I see that there's an unwanted "Press ENTER..." prompt. I want
            to get rid of that;
            if there's some ideas on this, please let me know.

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell
          • Hugo Ahlenius
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
              Hi Charles,

              Thanks for the response, I have just updated vimball + netrw again...

              | >* URLs with question marks in them, like
              | >http://www.grida.no/products.cfm?pageID=13
              | I just tried it; this appears to work (under linux). Is there still a
              | problem with windows/cygwin?

              This is still a problem under windows/non-cygwin (I haven't tried under
              cygwin). I get "E480: No match[...]"

              | >* FTP listings from a windows ftp server
              | I think the current version addresses this.

              I just tried, and it doesn't seem like that. MS Windows IIS/ftp server
              return a non-standard directory listing by default (can be set to do a
              unix-type dir listing), and netrw is not parsing them properly. This should
              be easy to test, one just needs to start up the ftp service on a windows
              machine to see this...

              | >* a http url with a trailing slash starts an ftp session, like
              | >http://maps.grida.no/arctic/
              | The trailing slash indicates to netrw that its supposed to be handling
              | a directory. Netrw only supports two methods for browsing
              | directories: ftp and ssh. If the file transfer protocol is either http
              | or ftp, then ftp is used (for browsing). If the file transfer
              | protocol is anything else, then ssh is used. Attempts to use wget or
              | curl (two of the programs used to handle http://... ) doesn't yield a
              | listing.
              | Perhaps you want netrw to attach an "index.html" automatically?

              The "http" prefix should tell that this is a URL that should be retrieved
              using the http protocol and nothing else. A URL with a trailing slash is
              still a fully valid URL, and doesn't not signify directories or anything
              like that on the www. I would really like netrw to just pass any
              http-prefixed URLs directly to curl/wget, and definately not attaching
              anything to them! :)

              Cheers and thanks,
              Hugo

              --
              Hugo Ahlenius
              fraxinus (at) oxel.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                Hugo Ahlenius wrote:
                > Hi Charles,
                >
                > Thanks for the response, I have just updated vimball + netrw again...
                >
                > | >* URLs with question marks in them, like
                > | >http://www.grida.no/products.cfm?pageID=13
                > | I just tried it; this appears to work (under linux). Is there still a
                > | problem with windows/cygwin?
                >
                > This is still a problem under windows/non-cygwin (I haven't tried under
                > cygwin). I get "E480: No match[...]"
                >
                > | >* FTP listings from a windows ftp server
                > | I think the current version addresses this.
                >
                > I just tried, and it doesn't seem like that. MS Windows IIS/ftp server
                > return a non-standard directory listing by default (can be set to do a
                > unix-type dir listing), and netrw is not parsing them properly. This should
                > be easy to test, one just needs to start up the ftp service on a windows
                > machine to see this...
                >
                > | >* a http url with a trailing slash starts an ftp session, like
                > | >http://maps.grida.no/arctic/
                > | The trailing slash indicates to netrw that its supposed to be handling
                > | a directory. Netrw only supports two methods for browsing
                > | directories: ftp and ssh. If the file transfer protocol is either http
                > | or ftp, then ftp is used (for browsing). If the file transfer
                > | protocol is anything else, then ssh is used. Attempts to use wget or
                > | curl (two of the programs used to handle http://... ) doesn't yield a
                > | listing.
                > | Perhaps you want netrw to attach an "index.html" automatically?
                >
                > The "http" prefix should tell that this is a URL that should be retrieved
                > using the http protocol and nothing else. A URL with a trailing slash is
                > still a fully valid URL, and doesn't not signify directories or anything
                > like that on the www. I would really like netrw to just pass any
                > http-prefixed URLs directly to curl/wget, and definately not attaching
                > anything to them! :)
                >
                > Cheers and thanks,
                > Hugo
                >
                > --
                > Hugo Ahlenius
                > fraxinus (at) oxel.net
                > http://www.oxel.net

                IIUC, when an http: URL ends in a slash, or when it names a directory
                even without a slash, the server retrieves the default page (if any) in
                the directory in question; and it is up to the server to determine what
                this default page shall be. On user sites of my ISP, the default page is
                one of index.htm, INDEX.HTM, index.html or INDEX.HTML, whichever is
                present, or if none is, a server page saying "The page you are trying to
                access is not present on this server" with the ISP logo and
                blue-and-white color scheme; but I've seen other sites where the default
                page is named index.php, default.html, ... You never get a directory
                listing unless the default page itself includes a directory listing
                (e.g., at http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.0/ you get the contents
                of the README file _plus_ a directory listing in HTML).

                I don't know if this could raise problems with netrw, and of what kind.

              • Hugo Ahlenius
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006

                  Yep. It is all up to the server, the http protocol doesn't really recognize
                  concepts such as directories or files, it is URLs. A trailing slash could
                  return a 30x redirect to a file (such as index|default.xxx) or return a html
                  web-page. That page, might look like a directory listing, as that
                  ftp.vim.org example - but the client or the protocol doesn't recognize it as
                  anything other than a normal http request...

                  /Hugo
                • Charles E Campbell Jr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Hugo Ahlenius wrote:

                    >The "http" prefix should tell that this is a URL that should be retrieved
                    >using the http protocol and nothing else. A URL with a trailing slash is
                    >still a fully valid URL, and doesn't not signify directories or anything
                    >like that on the www. I would really like netrw to just pass any
                    >http-prefixed URLs directly to curl/wget, and definately not attaching
                    >anything to them! :)

                    Hmm, well using your example (http://www.grida.no/arctic/) both curl and wget
                    yield an empty file.

                    Regards,
                    Chip Campbell
                  • Hugo Ahlenius
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                      |Hmm, well using your example (http://www.grida.no/arctic/) both curl
                      |and wget yield an empty file.

                      Maybe that was a very bad example, if you look at the headers in curl, that
                      yields a 302 redirect and not an empty page (which should be a 404) - my
                      wget follows that redirect (there might be a switch for curl to do that as
                      well). Try something else:
                      http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/
                      http://maps.grida.no/
                      http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/