Re: netrw v103b

  • Bill McCarthy
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
      On Tue 1-Aug-06 1:52am -0600, Hugo Ahlenius wrote:

      > I just upgraded netrw to netrw 103b from Charles Campbell's web-site. Now it
      > seems like opening a directory by just trying to edit it doesn't work, like
      > it used to:
      > :e c:\
      >
      > Could there be an autocommand that is missing? The only message I get is
      > "Illegal file name". Browsing directories works through the "Explore"
      > command though.
      >
      > (I am on gvim 7.0 on WinXP, non-cygwin)

      I have the same setup and had a similar problem after
      installing the new releases to $vim\vimfiles or ~\vimfiles.

      Do you still have the distribution copy of netrw v98
      installed to $vimruntime?

      If so, either remove it (all 6 files) or make the following
      change to $vim\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim:

      Replace (right after the "Load Once" line):

      if exists("g:loaded_netrw")
      finish
      endif

      with:

      if exists("g:loaded_netrwPlugin")
      finish
      endif
      let g:loaded_netrwPlugin = 1

      Bill
    • Hugo Ahlenius
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
        | Do you still have the distribution copy of netrw v98 installed to
        | $vimruntime?

        Yes I had -- your change did it!

        Thanks,
        Hugo
      • Charles E Campbell Jr
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
          Hugo Ahlenius wrote:

          >Hi,
          >
          >I just upgraded netrw to netrw 103b from Charles Campbell's web-site. Now it
          >seems like opening a directory by just trying to edit it doesn't work, like
          >it used to:
          > :e c:\
          >
          >Could there be an autocommand that is missing? The only message I get is
          >"Illegal file name". Browsing directories works through the "Explore"
          >command though.

          Be sure to remove all previous installations of netrw. The current
          version (v103c as of last night)
          and subsequent vim distributions should no longer have this problem.
          After removal of all previous
          installations of netrw, in particular the netrw that is made available
          from the standard vim distribution,
          then do a netrw install.

          Also: there's been a small change in vimballs; you'll need the latest
          vimball plugin to handle it properly.
          The vimball v18a is backwards compatible -- ie. it can read older
          vimballs, but v17 and earlier vimball
          will have trouble with the newer vimballs.

          >Charles -- if you read this, here are some things that are still outstanding
          >-- do you have any plans to fix these?
          >
          >* URLs with question marks in them, like
          >http://www.grida.no/products.cfm?pageID=13

          I just tried it; this appears to work (under linux). Is there still a
          problem with windows/cygwin?

          >* FTP listings from a windows ftp server

          I think the current version addresses this.

          >* a http url with a trailing slash starts an ftp session, like
          >http://maps.grida.no/arctic/

          The trailing slash indicates to netrw that its supposed to be handling a
          directory. Netrw only supports
          two methods for browsing directories: ftp and ssh. If the file transfer
          protocol is either http or ftp,
          then ftp is used (for browsing). If the file transfer protocol is
          anything else, then ssh is used. Attempts
          to use wget or curl (two of the programs used to handle http://... )
          doesn't yield a listing. Perhaps you
          want netrw to attach an "index.html" automatically?

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell
        • David Fishburn
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
            > On Tue 1-Aug-06 1:52am -0600, Hugo Ahlenius wrote:
            >
            > > I just upgraded netrw to netrw 103b from Charles Campbell's
            > web-site.
            > > Now it seems like opening a directory by just trying to edit it
            > > doesn't work, like it used to:
            > > :e c:\

            I am having a similar issue, but I am using 102 from the main Vim website:

            > If so, either remove it (all 6 files) or make the following
            > change to $vim\plugin\netrwPlugin.vim:
            >
            > Replace (right after the "Load Once" line):
            >
            > if exists("g:loaded_netrw")
            > finish
            > endif
            >
            > with:
            >
            > if exists("g:loaded_netrwPlugin")
            > finish
            > endif
            > let g:loaded_netrwPlugin = 1

            I don't like modifying files in the $VIM directory.

            I tried this and it still did not fix the problem on my machine (I still
            cannot browse the files in my directory).

            I also get this:
            :pwd
            C:\

            :e .
            "C:\" Illegal file name

            Dave
          • Charles E Campbell Jr
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2006
              David Fishburn wrote:

              >I don't like modifying files in the $VIM directory.
              >
              >I tried this and it still did not fix the problem on my machine (I still
              >cannot browse the files in my directory).
              >
              >I also get this:
              >:pwd
              >C:\
              >
              >:e .
              >"C:\" Illegal file name

              Please remove all the older versions of netrw prior to installing the
              latest versions of netrw.

              The "Illegal file name" message comes up before netrw has anything to do
              with handling it.
              However, I see that there's an unwanted "Press ENTER..." prompt. I want
              to get rid of that;
              if there's some ideas on this, please let me know.

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell
            • Hugo Ahlenius
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                Hi Charles,

                Thanks for the response, I have just updated vimball + netrw again...

                | >* URLs with question marks in them, like
                | >http://www.grida.no/products.cfm?pageID=13
                | I just tried it; this appears to work (under linux). Is there still a
                | problem with windows/cygwin?

                This is still a problem under windows/non-cygwin (I haven't tried under
                cygwin). I get "E480: No match[...]"

                | >* FTP listings from a windows ftp server
                | I think the current version addresses this.

                I just tried, and it doesn't seem like that. MS Windows IIS/ftp server
                return a non-standard directory listing by default (can be set to do a
                unix-type dir listing), and netrw is not parsing them properly. This should
                be easy to test, one just needs to start up the ftp service on a windows
                machine to see this...

                | >* a http url with a trailing slash starts an ftp session, like
                | >http://maps.grida.no/arctic/
                | The trailing slash indicates to netrw that its supposed to be handling
                | a directory. Netrw only supports two methods for browsing
                | directories: ftp and ssh. If the file transfer protocol is either http
                | or ftp, then ftp is used (for browsing). If the file transfer
                | protocol is anything else, then ssh is used. Attempts to use wget or
                | curl (two of the programs used to handle http://... ) doesn't yield a
                | listing.
                | Perhaps you want netrw to attach an "index.html" automatically?

                The "http" prefix should tell that this is a URL that should be retrieved
                using the http protocol and nothing else. A URL with a trailing slash is
                still a fully valid URL, and doesn't not signify directories or anything
                like that on the www. I would really like netrw to just pass any
                http-prefixed URLs directly to curl/wget, and definately not attaching
                anything to them! :)

                Cheers and thanks,
                Hugo

                --
                Hugo Ahlenius
                fraxinus (at) oxel.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Hugo Ahlenius wrote:
                  > Hi Charles,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the response, I have just updated vimball + netrw again...
                  >
                  > | >* URLs with question marks in them, like
                  > | >http://www.grida.no/products.cfm?pageID=13
                  > | I just tried it; this appears to work (under linux). Is there still a
                  > | problem with windows/cygwin?
                  >
                  > This is still a problem under windows/non-cygwin (I haven't tried under
                  > cygwin). I get "E480: No match[...]"
                  >
                  > | >* FTP listings from a windows ftp server
                  > | I think the current version addresses this.
                  >
                  > I just tried, and it doesn't seem like that. MS Windows IIS/ftp server
                  > return a non-standard directory listing by default (can be set to do a
                  > unix-type dir listing), and netrw is not parsing them properly. This should
                  > be easy to test, one just needs to start up the ftp service on a windows
                  > machine to see this...
                  >
                  > | >* a http url with a trailing slash starts an ftp session, like
                  > | >http://maps.grida.no/arctic/
                  > | The trailing slash indicates to netrw that its supposed to be handling
                  > | a directory. Netrw only supports two methods for browsing
                  > | directories: ftp and ssh. If the file transfer protocol is either http
                  > | or ftp, then ftp is used (for browsing). If the file transfer
                  > | protocol is anything else, then ssh is used. Attempts to use wget or
                  > | curl (two of the programs used to handle http://... ) doesn't yield a
                  > | listing.
                  > | Perhaps you want netrw to attach an "index.html" automatically?
                  >
                  > The "http" prefix should tell that this is a URL that should be retrieved
                  > using the http protocol and nothing else. A URL with a trailing slash is
                  > still a fully valid URL, and doesn't not signify directories or anything
                  > like that on the www. I would really like netrw to just pass any
                  > http-prefixed URLs directly to curl/wget, and definately not attaching
                  > anything to them! :)
                  >
                  > Cheers and thanks,
                  > Hugo
                  >
                  > --
                  > Hugo Ahlenius
                  > fraxinus (at) oxel.net
                  > http://www.oxel.net

                  IIUC, when an http: URL ends in a slash, or when it names a directory
                  even without a slash, the server retrieves the default page (if any) in
                  the directory in question; and it is up to the server to determine what
                  this default page shall be. On user sites of my ISP, the default page is
                  one of index.htm, INDEX.HTM, index.html or INDEX.HTML, whichever is
                  present, or if none is, a server page saying "The page you are trying to
                  access is not present on this server" with the ISP logo and
                  blue-and-white color scheme; but I've seen other sites where the default
                  page is named index.php, default.html, ... You never get a directory
                  listing unless the default page itself includes a directory listing
                  (e.g., at http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.0/ you get the contents
                  of the README file _plus_ a directory listing in HTML).

                  I don't know if this could raise problems with netrw, and of what kind.

                • Hugo Ahlenius
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006

                    Yep. It is all up to the server, the http protocol doesn't really recognize
                    concepts such as directories or files, it is URLs. A trailing slash could
                    return a 30x redirect to a file (such as index|default.xxx) or return a html
                    web-page. That page, might look like a directory listing, as that
                    ftp.vim.org example - but the client or the protocol doesn't recognize it as
                    anything other than a normal http request...

                    /Hugo
                  • Charles E Campbell Jr
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                      Hugo Ahlenius wrote:

                      >The "http" prefix should tell that this is a URL that should be retrieved
                      >using the http protocol and nothing else. A URL with a trailing slash is
                      >still a fully valid URL, and doesn't not signify directories or anything
                      >like that on the www. I would really like netrw to just pass any
                      >http-prefixed URLs directly to curl/wget, and definately not attaching
                      >anything to them! :)

                      Hmm, well using your example (http://www.grida.no/arctic/) both curl and wget
                      yield an empty file.

                      Regards,
                      Chip Campbell
                    • Hugo Ahlenius
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2, 2006
                        |Hmm, well using your example (http://www.grida.no/arctic/) both curl
                        |and wget yield an empty file.

                        Maybe that was a very bad example, if you look at the headers in curl, that
                        yields a 302 redirect and not an empty page (which should be a 404) - my
                        wget follows that redirect (there might be a switch for curl to do that as
                        well). Try something else:
                        http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/
                        http://maps.grida.no/
                        http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/