Howto get omnicomplete popup for vimspell suggestions

  • Srinivas Rao. M
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2006
      Hi Vimmers,
      I started using the vimspell plug-in from today. I really appreciate
      this feature, really working fine for C code comments. Its very
      intelligent as it carefully ignore the C code part in spell checking. It
      only purifies the comment and "strings" part of it.

      I have a question:

      I noticed that "z=" will open up a new buffer instead of opening a
      omni-complete popup. Is this a desired behavior ?.
      -Or-
      Do i have to set some configuration to get the omni-complete popup. Am i
      missing somethings here ?

      Please tell me what should i do to get the omnicomplete popup for spell
      suggestions ?
      regards,
      Srini...
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 27, 2006
        Srinivas Rao. M wrote:
        > Hi Vimmers,
        > I started using the vimspell plug-in from today. I really appreciate
        > this feature, really working fine for C code comments. Its very
        > intelligent as it carefully ignore the C code part in spell checking. It
        > only purifies the comment and "strings" part of it.
        >
        > I have a question:
        >
        > I noticed that "z=" will open up a new buffer instead of opening a
        > omni-complete popup. Is this a desired behavior ?.
        > -Or-
        > Do i have to set some configuration to get the omni-complete popup. Am i
        > missing somethings here ?
        >
        > Please tell me what should i do to get the omnicomplete popup for spell
        > suggestions ?
        > regards,
        > Srini...

        From where I sit it looks like z= opens neither buffer nor popup, but
        lists the alternatives on the command-line (pushing all windows up out
        of the screen) asking you to either select an entry by number or by
        mouse-clicking, or hit Enter to leave unchanged. This seems easier than
        omnicomplete to me, especially for a long list (filling up the screen
        height): you can select by mouse the same way, but instead of selecting
        by keyboard using <Up> or <Down> repeatedly then <Enter>, here you just
        type in the number next to the entry you want. More economical in terms
        of keystrokes (on a long list).

      • Srinivas Rao. M
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 27, 2006
          > From where I sit it looks like z= opens neither buffer nor popup, but
          > lists the alternatives on the command-line (pushing all windows up out
          > of the screen) asking you to either select an entry by number or by
          > mouse-clicking, or hit Enter to leave unchanged. This seems easier than
          > omnicomplete to me, especially for a long list (filling up the screen
          > height): you can select by mouse the same way, but instead of selecting
          > by keyboard using <Up> or <Down> repeatedly then <Enter>, here you just
          > type in the number next to the entry you want. More economical in terms
          > of keystrokes (on a long list).
          >

          > Best regards,
          > Tony.

          Yes Precisely, I missed it. It is a list of words on the command line.
          But in the usability perspective, user has to shift his eye focus away
          from the word he is typing to the left hand top corner of screen(in to
          the command line list). This i think is not usability friendly. We can
          see some of the usability analysis on UI products mentioned here:
          http://www.useit.com

          Can we not have a beautiful omni complete feature here, instead of this
          long list. I agree it is typing friendly, lesser number of key strokes.
          Can we not have a pop-up that opens up just besides the erratic word.

          Just putting my views and ideas here.
          Thanks for reading it.
          regards,
          Srini...
        • Srinivas Rao. M
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2006
            bumping it up ? Any methods to get omni complete for spell checkers ?
            TIA,