Re: Problem doing diffs using win 2000

  • Wolfgang Schmidt
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
      Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
      > Do you have the 'diffexpr' set in your .vimrc file?
      >
      > :verbose set diffexpr?
      >
      > - Yegappan
      Hi,

      yes, it's set to MyDiff(), which is defined in _vimrc as

      set diffexpr=MyDiff()
      function MyDiff()
      let opt = '-a --binary '
      if &diffopt =~ 'icase' | let opt = opt . '-i ' | endif
      if &diffopt =~ 'iwhite' | let opt = opt . '-b ' | endif
      let arg1 = v:fname_in
      if arg1 =~ ' ' | let arg1 = '"' . arg1 . '"' | endif
      let arg2 = v:fname_new
      if arg2 =~ ' ' | let arg2 = '"' . arg2 . '"' | endif
      let arg3 = v:fname_out
      if arg3 =~ ' ' | let arg3 = '"' . arg3 . '"' | endif
      silent execute '!C:\Programme\Vim\vim70\diff ' . opt . arg1 . ' ' .
      arg2 . ' > ' . arg3
      endfunction

      This work's fine for WinXP, but not for Win2k

      Cheers,

      Wolfgang
    • Wim R. Crols
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006
        Thanks for all the explanations everyone. I do see your points, and will
        try to add 's' to my weaponry :)

        Wim

        > On 6/30/06, Wim R. Crols <wim@...> wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> Not really a request for help, but I was wondering if you guys ever use
        >> the 's' command.
        >> It's just a shortcut for 'cl', which I almost never need. Since I don't
        >> assume it was put in to be complete or something, I'm intrigued by it's
        >> enigmatic purpose. :)
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >> Wim

      • Wolfgang Schmidt
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 3, 2006

          after re-examination of the problem I found the diff functionaliy now
          working on Win2k, still don't know what caused the problem.
          Anyway, diff'ing does work under Win2k, sorry for the confusion and
          thanks to those who tried to help.

          Sorry,

          Wolfgang

          Wolfgang Schmidt wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I just installed gvim70 (from the self-extracting exe) on WIN 2K
          > system. Everything seems to work, exept the diff functionality.
          > If I do a diff, e.g.
          >
          > C:\Programme\Vim>vim _vimrc -d _vimrc.bak
          >
          > I get
          >
          > 2 Dateien zum Editieren
          > Das angegebene Programm kann nicht ausgeführt werden.
          >
          > E97: Kann keine Differenz erstellen
          >
          > so Vim complains, that the diff program can't be executed. But the
          > diff program is present (C:\Programme\Vim\vim70\diff.exe) and it works
          > (I tried it manually from the commandline).
          >
          > Maybe there's a problem with diff under win2K? I've used the same
          > installer executable to install gvim70 on some Win XP machines, and I
          > did not have any problems with diff.
          >
          > Thanx in advance
          >
          > Wolfgang
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 14, 2006
            Wolfgang Schmidt wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I just installed gvim70 (from the self-extracting exe) on WIN 2K system.
            > Everything seems to work, exept the diff functionality.
            > If I do a diff, e.g.
            >
            > C:\Programme\Vim>vim _vimrc -d _vimrc.bak
            >
            > I get
            >
            > 2 Dateien zum Editieren
            > Das angegebene Programm kann nicht ausgeführt werden.
            >
            > E97: Kann keine Differenz erstellen
            >
            > so Vim complains, that the diff program can't be executed. But the diff
            > program is present (C:\Programme\Vim\vim70\diff.exe) and it works (I
            > tried it manually from the commandline).
            >
            > Maybe there's a problem with diff under win2K? I've used the same
            > installer executable to install gvim70 on some Win XP machines, and I
            > did not have any problems with diff.
            >
            > Thanx in advance
            >
            > Wolfgang

            The following are wild guesses only:

            1. Have you tried placing the -d option in front, as in

            C:\> gvim -d _vimrc _vimrc.bak

            ?

            2. Is your vim/vim70 directory part of your PATH ?

            (Both untested.)

          • A.J.Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 14, 2006
              Wim R. Crols wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > Not really a request for help, but I was wondering if you guys ever use
              > the 's' command.
              > It's just a shortcut for 'cl', which I almost never need. Since I don't
              > assume it was put in to be complete or something, I'm intrigued by it's
              > enigmatic purpose. :)
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Wim

              There are a number of such "aliases" whose sole function is to appeal to
              the lazy typist:

              ":x" for ":wq"
              "x" for "dl"

              (all of this without the quotes of course).

              Since I profess that laziness is the mother of invention, and since I'm
              lazy myself in a workaholic kind of way, the existence of such aliases
              (or of the possibility to create shortcuts for almost anything using
              ":map", ":abbrev" and friends) doesn't bother me.