MatchParen unreadable on dark backgrounds

  • Pádraig Brady
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006
      I use dark backgrounds (and therefore a light coloured foreground colour).
      As a consequence the new MatchParen highlight that is enabled
      by default in vim 7 is unreadable/annoying.
      I need to put the following in my ~/.vimrc to fix it:

      highlight MatchParen ctermbg=blue guibg=blue

      Shouldn't the above be done automatically when one does set bg=dark ?

      thanks,
      Pádraig.
    • Georg Dahn
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006
        > I use dark backgrounds (and therefore a light coloured foreground colour).
        > As a consequence the new MatchParen highlight that is enabled
        > by default in vim 7 is unreadable/annoying.
        > I need to put the following in my ~/.vimrc to fix it:
        >
        > highlight MatchParen ctermbg=blue guibg=blue
        >
        > Shouldn't the above be done automatically when one does set bg=dark ?

        This depends on the color scheme you are using. If the maintainer
        does not update his color scheme, a default value is chosen. If the
        background is darkcyan, the highlight is not visible, of course,
        if the background is blue, then your value is a bad choice.

        Best wishes,
        Georg

        http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
      • Yakov Lerner
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006
          On 6/2/06, Georg Dahn <gorgyd@...> wrote:
          > > I use dark backgrounds (and therefore a light coloured foreground colour).
          > > As a consequence the new MatchParen highlight that is enabled
          > > by default in vim 7 is unreadable/annoying.
          > > I need to put the following in my ~/.vimrc to fix it:
          > >
          > > highlight MatchParen ctermbg=blue guibg=blue
          > >
          > > Shouldn't the above be done automatically when one does set bg=dark ?
          >
          > This depends on the color scheme you are using. If the maintainer
          > does not update his color scheme, a default value is chosen. If the
          > background is darkcyan, the highlight is not visible, of course,
          > if the background is blue, then your value is a bad choice.

          I don't think any single colorscheme defines MatchParen.
          I haven't seen any single colorscheme that define MatchParen.
          Do they ?
          Yakov
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006
            Yakov Lerner wrote:
            > On 6/2/06, Georg Dahn <gorgyd@...> wrote:
            >> > I use dark backgrounds (and therefore a light coloured foreground
            >> colour).
            >> > As a consequence the new MatchParen highlight that is enabled
            >> > by default in vim 7 is unreadable/annoying.
            >> > I need to put the following in my ~/.vimrc to fix it:
            >> >
            >> > highlight MatchParen ctermbg=blue guibg=blue
            >> >
            >> > Shouldn't the above be done automatically when one does set bg=dark ?
            >>
            >> This depends on the color scheme you are using. If the maintainer
            >> does not update his color scheme, a default value is chosen. If the
            >> background is darkcyan, the highlight is not visible, of course,
            >> if the background is blue, then your value is a bad choice.
            >
            > I don't think any single colorscheme defines MatchParen.
            > I haven't seen any single colorscheme that define MatchParen.
            > Do they ?
            > Yakov

            Well, maybe it's time to write your own colourscheme, based on the one
            you already use (if you do) or on the "default" one (if you don't) and
            with something like

            if &bg == "dark"
            hi MatchParen ctermbg=blue guibg=blue
            endif

            in it. No doubt you will expand on it in the future, as you tweak more
            highlight colours.

            Give your new colorscheme a unique name (let's say georgdahn for
            example's sake) followed by the .vim extension common to Vim scripts,
            and store it at one of the following places:

            $VIM/vimfiles/colors/georgdahn.vim
            system-wide on any platform

            $HOME/vimfiles/colors/georgdahn.vim
            user-private on Windows

            $HOME/.vim/colors/georgdahn.vim
            user-private on Unix

            (i.e., in the colors/ subdirectory of one of the directory trees
            named early in the 'runtimepath' option, but NOT in the tree headed by
            $VIMRUNTIME because any upgrade can silently add, delete or modify
            anything there).

            (creating any required not-yet-existing directory in the process); then
            add the line

            colorscheme georgdahn

            to your vimrc. Note that it is not recursive: a colorscheme may NOT use
            the :colorscheme command to invoke (and possibly modify) a different
            colorscheme.

          • Benjamin Esham
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006
              Yakov Lerner wrote:

              > Georg Dahn wrote:
              >
              >> This depends on the color scheme you are using. If the maintainer
              >> does not update his color scheme, a default value is chosen. If the
              >> background is darkcyan, the highlight is not visible, of course,
              >> if the background is blue, then your value is a bad choice.
              >
              > I don't think any single colorscheme defines MatchParen.
              > I haven't seen any single colorscheme that define MatchParen.
              > Do they ?

              Biogoo (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=432)
              defines these groups. It's quite a nice combination of colors, if I do
              say so myself ;-)

              </shameless plug>

              (It is a dark-on-light scheme, though, so it might not be to your
              liking.)

              HTH anyway,
              --
              Benjamin D. Esham
              bdesham@... | AIM: bdesham128 | Jabber: same as e-mail
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006
                > I don't think any single colorscheme defines MatchParen.
                > I haven't seen any single colorscheme that define MatchParen.
                > Do they ?

                Of the color schemes, which are in the distribution, only koehler
                defines it. Of the others at vim.org, at least inkpot, xterm16,
                and my own color scheme (moria) define MatchParen. Since
                MatchParen is new in Vim 7, all color schemes which have not
                been updated yet don't define it.

                Best wishes,
                Georg

                http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
              • Charles E Campbell Jr
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2006
                  Yakov Lerner wrote:

                  > On 6/2/06, Georg Dahn <gorgyd@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> > I use dark backgrounds (and therefore a light coloured foreground
                  >> colour).
                  >> > As a consequence the new MatchParen highlight that is enabled
                  >> > by default in vim 7 is unreadable/annoying.
                  >> > I need to put the following in my ~/.vimrc to fix it:
                  >> >
                  >> > highlight MatchParen ctermbg=blue guibg=blue
                  >> >
                  >> > Shouldn't the above be done automatically when one does set bg=dark ?
                  >>
                  >> This depends on the color scheme you are using. If the maintainer
                  >> does not update his color scheme, a default value is chosen. If the
                  >> background is darkcyan, the highlight is not visible, of course,
                  >> if the background is blue, then your value is a bad choice.
                  >

                  > I don't think any single colorscheme defines MatchParen.
                  > I haven't seen any single colorscheme that define MatchParen.
                  > Do they ?

                  colors/astronaut.vim (v8) does. Available at

                  http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#VimFuncs
                  as "DrChip's Astronaut Colorscheme")

                  Regards,
                  Chip Campbell
                • Charles E Campbell Jr
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2006
                    Yakov Lerner wrote:

                    > I don't think any single colorscheme defines MatchParen.
                    > I haven't seen any single colorscheme that define MatchParen.
                    > Do they ?

                    In addition to the astronaut colorscheme, my hicolors
                    helper/colorscheme-editor
                    also supports MatchParen. Available at:

                    http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/index.html#VimFuncs as
                    "Highlight Colors Help and Editor"

                    Regards,
                    Chip Campbell
                  • Zdenek Sekera
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 6, 2006

                      Too bad that the "screen shot" in the above URL has
                      invalid link problem.

                      ---Zdenek
                    • Pádraig Brady
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 6, 2006
                        Georg Dahn wrote:
                        >> I use dark backgrounds (and therefore a light coloured foreground
                        >> colour).
                        >> As a consequence the new MatchParen highlight that is enabled
                        >> by default in vim 7 is unreadable/annoying.
                        >> I need to put the following in my ~/.vimrc to fix it:
                        >>
                        >> highlight MatchParen ctermbg=blue guibg=blue
                        >>
                        >> Shouldn't the above be done automatically when one does set bg=dark ?
                        >

                        > This depends on the color scheme you are using. If the maintainer
                        > does not update his color scheme, a default value is chosen.

                        Sure. I use the default colour scheme though.
                        I would have expected it to be updated for this new feature.

                        thanks,
                        Pádraig.
                      • A.J.Mechelynck
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 6, 2006
                          Pádraig Brady wrote:
                          > Georg Dahn wrote:
                          >
                          >>> I use dark backgrounds (and therefore a light coloured foreground
                          >>> colour).
                          >>> As a consequence the new MatchParen highlight that is enabled
                          >>> by default in vim 7 is unreadable/annoying.
                          >>> I need to put the following in my ~/.vimrc to fix it:
                          >>>
                          >>> highlight MatchParen ctermbg=blue guibg=blue
                          >>>
                          >>> Shouldn't the above be done automatically when one does set bg=dark ?
                          >>>
                          >> This depends on the color scheme you are using. If the maintainer
                          >> does not update his color scheme, a default value is chosen.
                          >>

                          > Sure. I use the default colour scheme though.
                          > I would have expected it to be updated for this new feature.
                          >
                          > thanks,
                          > Pádraig.

                          The "default" colorscheme mentions no groups, it merely orders Vim to
                          reset all groups whatsoever to their built-in defaults, so there is no
                          need to update it. It's when you want to set _different_ colors than the
                          built-in defaults that a ":hi" line is needed in the colorscheme. It is
                          even possible to leave different groups at their default values
                          depending on whether you run in the GUI or in a console: for instance:

                          hi MatchParen ctermbg=blue
                          hi Search gui=NONE guibg=Yellow guifg=Black

                          leaves MatchParen at its default in the GUI, and Search at its default
                          in console Vim.

                        • Benjamin Esham
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 6, 2006
                            Zdenek Sekera wrote:

                            > Benjamin Esham wrote:
                            >
                            >> Biogoo (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=432)
                            >> defines these groups. It's quite a nice combination of
                            >> colors, if I do say so myself ;-)
                            >>
                            >> </shameless plug>
                            >
                            > Too bad that the "screen shot" in the above URL has
                            > invalid link problem.

                            Fixed. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

                            Cheers,
                            --
                            Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia • http://en.wikipedia.org